Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/20/2007, 09:09 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Saw 2 Large carpet Nem's at Petco in Colma

2 Huge almost a foot around carpet Anemone's at petco in Colma near taget... for $34.99... I know its petco... was there getting stuff for my bearded dragons.. but for anyone that wants to rescue them... they look good , tight mouth and fluffed up pretty good... but doubt with the lights those thigs are kept in won't last that long... so some one needs to rescue em'

Old 03/21/2007, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Wow. I'm really surprised. I thought all their buying was centrally decided and they really didn't buy any inverts (other than hermit crabs).

What color were they?

Regards,

Roy
Old 03/21/2007, 05:08 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

You know what... due to the poor lighting I don't really know.. right now they're dark pale/ light light brown so I don't know... pretty large though for $34.99

" Charles V "
Old 03/21/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

I think I recalled a hint of green in one of them. but yea, what delsol650 said, the light isn't ideal and won't last long under those.
Old 03/21/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Re: Saw 2 Large carpet Nem's at Petco in Colma

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
but doubt with the lights those thigs are kept in won't last that long... so some one needs to rescue em'

Yeah but they will get more if they can sell them. How many can you rescue??
Old 03/21/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Elite: I hear ya.

Its the same with their reptile section. I want to save all their geckos but it would only make it worse.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:31 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Yeah I hear yeah... but man both are good size carpets..

" Charles V "
Old 03/21/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

There is a LFS in SJ (don't ask me for the name) used to have ton of them. They were sold for $15-$25 each. I think the large ones were about 17" when fully open.
Old 03/22/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

I'm a Petco GM. Colma is a new store, those lights should be 2x 54watt HO T5s over a tank that is less than 12" high. Do the carpets look bad or is this a general concern?
Keith
Old 03/22/2007, 03:19 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I dunno. the lights don't seem that bright to me and I thought those types of nems need more than 2 HO's on it... I got my rbta's on tek 8 bulb 432watts t5s

" Charles V "
Old 03/22/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Le
I'm a Petco GM. Colma is a new store, those lights should be 2x 54watt HO T5s over a tank that is less than 12" high. Do the carpets look bad or is this a general concern?
Keith
When did petco go TEK?
Old 03/22/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Petco started using HOt5s in a few stores about two years ago. The use of these bulbs are limited to a few "special" new stores. In fact, stores without this type of lighting should NOT be ordering any photosynthetic animals or even have access to the sku for ordering. Regarding the quantity of bulbs over the tank... Keep in mind the height of the tank; these tanks are not even twelve inches high. Water will retard the intensity of the light at greater depths, I feel comfortable that 108watts of light should be sufficient in tanks that shallow. Thanks
Keith
Old 03/23/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Le
Petco started using HOt5s in a few stores about two years ago. The use of these bulbs are limited to a few "special" new stores. In fact, stores without this type of lighting should NOT be ordering any photosynthetic animals or even have access to the sku for ordering. Regarding the quantity of bulbs over the tank... Keep in mind the height of the tank; these tanks are not even twelve inches high. Water will retard the intensity of the light at greater depths, I feel comfortable that 108watts of light should be sufficient in tanks that shallow. Thanks
Keith
Are these TEK though?
Old 03/23/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

No they are not TEK, we did not purhase these fixtures from Sunlight Supply. Theses units do operate on the same Giessmann ballasts found in TEK lights. Thanks
Keith
Old 03/23/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Without the TEK style reflector those T5 aren't much different than the PC's from before.
Ballasts inside the TEK lights are Triad, from accustart.
Old 03/23/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

The ballasts ar not giessmann, I was thinking bulbs. The ballsts are by Advance wich are the same in my own TEK lights; not that that matters. The fixtures used at petco do not have seperate reflectors like TEK but we do use polished aluminum reflectors. Thanks
Old 03/23/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Output from these T5's might not be enough then if that is the case.
Old 03/23/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

yep.
Old 03/23/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Assuming you have the lights to maintain carpet anemones, and given your statement in the other thread that Petco's target market is mainly newbies, why would Petco carry a creature that most of us think you should wait at least 6 months before you buy it?

Is Petco going to consider putting up a disclaimer that only experienced reefers should buy a carpet anemone?

To the extent that you are a GM and can give Colma a little advice, can you ask them if they are going to try to screen whether or not the clients have the appropriate tank before they buy a carpet anemone?

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 03/24/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

First, lets get one thing straight. I am a store manager and not the owner of the company. I simply can not vouch for all actions throughout the company. I can only tell you guys what occurs in MY store and what ALL stores are told to do. I can also enlighten people on our policies and procedures as well as shed some light on rumors. I am being considered for a promotion to regional staff and when this happens you will see a few changes in the bay area Petco stores. Second, Petco associates are required to ask open ended questions to enquire on the customer's ability to care for any animal in our care. Third, there is a disclaimer on the card above the tank.

Also, I can not police all petco stores, my boss already has me training GMS, ASM, Sales associates AND fish people in our district.
I can however, bring any concerns that anyone has regarding the mistreatment of ANY animal (intentional or unintentional) in ANY petco store to the of attention of regional staff and either have someone trained or fired. This does not include complaints such as
"I saw a Petco employee with scissors and Petco associates should not be allowed anything sharp because they are idiots"

I am not sure what the wait six months comment was about.
Does this mean that after six months of fish keeping one is no longer a newbie? I've been at this 12 years proffesionaly and every day I learn that I don't know half as much as I should.

Keith
Old 03/24/2007, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

i think he meant 6months as a time frame before purchasing the specimen. like leaving it to acclimate after 6 months before introducing it to a tank. buuuut i could be wrong. its how i read it.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

It's usually recommended that you shouldn't introduce an anemone to a tank until the tank is at least 6 months old. The idea being that the tank has not had a chance to mature and stabilize. Also, if the person is a saltwater newbie, it's going to take a few months to figure things out.

On the other hand, if your an experienced reefer and anemone keeper (which is not the target Petco customer), you could probably get an anemone right after your tank cycles.

All you have to do is spend some time reading the New to Hobby and Anemones & Clownfish Forums to notice many threads which generally go like this. I just set up my tank, I bought a carpet anemone, and it melted in a few days. What happened? Some people have even bought and killed anemones multiple times before they finally learn how to take care of one.

Sad but true.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 03/24/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Sorry Roy, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Forgive me for coming off defensive but it can be a bit of a burden being associated with a company with such a stigma.
I would hope that any emoloyee at any store (petco or not) wouldn't send a customer home with any anemone for a new tank. I think Petco's intention on selling carpets so cheap is to entice a slightly more seasoned hobbiest into making regular purchases from us like salt or food. Margin is typicaly quite good with items like that. I know that this is why we sell Purple Tangs and Sohals for $49.99 when we do our Red Sea pushes. It does not make sense morally or from a business stand point to sell a customer an animal that will die. We count on return business like everyone else. Thanks
Keith
Old 03/24/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Sohals for $50?? never seen that. don't they cost $50 wholesale? And if i remember correctly you guys used to get your fish from hayward, but i just heard recently you guys have switched suppliers.
Old 03/24/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Most of our fish do come from hayward but we tranship every once in a while. Certain stores will get one or two Sohals a year, I can send out a post when this happens if you like. If these fish don't sell during the sale they will go back up to $150.
-K