Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/17/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Can I attach a yellow fiji leather to a rock using ICE frag glue?

Just purchased a yellow fiji leather coral. Can I attach the bottom if it by glue it to my live rock? Just wanted to make sure this was safe. I have the frag glue I-CE. Please let me know. Thank you. =)

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 03/18/2007, 08:38 AM
Minion

I tend to not use glue on leathers because they can and do shrink, and then float away from the glue. Some also slime, and that makes the glue impossible to use.

My thoughts would be to rubberband it to the rock, but do not make the rubberband so tight that it constricts the coral. You need to leave a little wiggle room, or the rubberband WILL cut right through the coral, and you'll have a roaming coral.

I also tend to wedge a soft coral between two rocks (one existing rock in the structure, and a smaller one to hold the coral in place for a few days)..

HTH

ps. that Fiji yellow LOVES brighter lights and LOVES higher flow, so place it accordingly.

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 03/18/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Hi,
I actually have it in a pretty bright spot and in very good flow. I was worried about fishing line people were suggestings to use. I thought it might end up cutting the flesh of the coral. I will try today. He did come with a very very tiny piece of LR. I tried putting glue on that and placing him in the area I thought he'd like best and look best. Well today he's kind of lop sided. So I'll try again. Thank you for your reply.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 03/18/2007, 11:54 PM
Minion

you can glue the little rubble that the coral came on to a rock, that works..

The fishing line also works, but the key is to leave it a bit loose. If you tighten the line too much, it will cut through..

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 03/19/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Hi,
Well tonight I tied a little bit of clear plastic tubing around it. I thought that would be the most gentle thing to use. I don't want to risk cutting it. So far it looks a little better. I don't think it really likes the tubing tied around him though.He's straight though, so that's why I think he looks better. TY for the help

Old 03/20/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Try putting a plastic toothpick about midway in the leather and then iodine dip it. You can then rubber band it wherever you want. Leave it in about 3 weeks then remove it and should be holding fast.
Old 04/02/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Plastic swords for olives or what ever in drinks, work great break of handle of sword but leave a knub so cutting can't slide off and glue plastic to rubble rock with cutting touching rock.
Old 04/02/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Ouch

That seems like it would really hurt the coral. I ended up attaching him to a smaller piece of rock and then put him in the substrate. He likes that much more than on the rocks. He still slumps from time to time. I hear that is normal for Fiji's. Anyone know why they do these?

Old 04/02/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

this*

Old 04/04/2007, 11:33 PM
Moved On

I've fragged alot of xenia and leather using fishing line. They'll be fine.
Old 04/05/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ouch

That seems like it would really hurt the coral.
Consider that people often frag leathers by slicing them up with razors or scissors, or the people that propogate shrooms with the "blender method", I don't think a little sword stab is a big deal