Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/01/2007, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation starving bta anemone!

My BTA is starving(or at least i think so). I was feeding it freeze dried krill stupidly only about once every week or two. I guess i didn't do enough research. I'm hoping it's not too late. I've started (2 days ago) feeding it about 1/4" pieces of silversides once a day (and it's eating). It's tenticles are stubby and don't seem too sticky (though it can keep the food i put on it). it's hosting a maroon clown (who tries to steal it's food...so i keep my hands in teh tank to shoo the clown away while it's feeding). It's towards the bottom of my tank (10g w/96w PC light, adding 70w mh at the end of this week). params are fine). Everything else in the tank is thriving. the anemone always seems to be open and doesn't have anything coming off of it (like mucus etc.). It doesn't close up or anything. I've attached a picture. any hope? even with the starving, should i not be feeding it everyday? Any tips?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Old 03/01/2007, 03:21 AM
Flea Slide

Just keep on feeding as much as it can take, feed the clown first, that might help.
Old 03/01/2007, 04:03 AM
Moved On

Feed frozen or fresh food soaked in Selcon, your anemon is starving, but not dead yet, so has an excellent chance of survival.

Keep your water parameters PERFECT!

Put an inverted strawberry basket over the anemone while it eats to keep that Maroon from stealing its food.

Any Hopes? You bet!

Feed small portions daily "pensil eraser sizes" as others call it. Until it starts to improve, then go to every other day, then taper off to 2 - 3 times a week.

Any other tank mates that could be irritating it? Crabs or shrimp? They have been known to steal food.
Old 03/01/2007, 07:17 AM
Political Inactivist

I also like to roll my BTA food in freeze dried cyclopeeze one time a week. These little guys are load with HUFA's... lots of fat...
Old 03/01/2007, 12:43 PM
Here comes the Gators

The MH should help.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 03/01/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

It sounds like your clown may need more food too. My clowns are well fed, they eat some, & bring large meaty pieces to my RBTA's. Make sure you have lots of cleanup crew & a good refugium if you start increasing your food. Also, is the lighting adaquate for them? My anemones often don't eat what's brought to them because they get so much of their energy from lighting. They are resilient though. The other day I accidentally ripped on in half. Four days of recovery & now 2 weeks later they are hugh. Good luck.