Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

please recommend a nano

I'm looking to buy a nano in the range of 20-30 gallons.

Preferably, I'd like one with a built-in filter component large enough to convert into a refugium with a deep sand bed. I don't want to limit myself in terms of coral species, either, so something with sufficient lighting for LPS/SPS is also necessary (a moon light option would be cool, too).

I haven't really shopped around yet and would rather gather advice before going on a "wild goose chase."

Can anyone recommend a specific product ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02/22/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

ever thought about just making one?? going to an acrylic shop, cutting your own dimensions, etc.........you will get exactly what you want...........maybe a little more trouble making but my husband and I are in the process now for a contest. 10 gallon but i am excited... just a thought..good luck!!
Old 02/23/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

nanocustoms.com has some complete kits
Old 02/23/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

im into the custom idea. you could build it one peice tank stand and sump. less plumbing and look clean... im gonna have to get out the old drawing board
Old 02/23/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I built my 23 gal tank, it is basically exactly what I want. It was my first acrylic project and it is still holding up and going strong today. If you aren't into that, you could always have a company build one for you to your specs. It would be more expensive but might be worth it if you aren't big on DIY projects.
Old 02/23/2007, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

Um, although it sounds like it would be fun, I'm not so sure that I have the tools or design familiarity to construct a DIY nano just yet. If anyone has an easy to follow design or DIY journal, I'd possibly be willing to try.

Question-- typically, how many pieces of acrylic are used to make these-- i.e. a typical glass aquarium is 5 panes-- but I'm assuming acrylic only uses 2 or 3 total pieces siliconed together?

I'm also pretty confused regarding how I would design the overflow, baffles, refugium, etc that would comprise the back portion of the unit.

I can only imagine the potential lighting debacle in my future, as well. I'm guessing I'd also have to construct my own canopy and retrofit the lighting (or spend money on a unit which sits atop the frame).

That nanocustoms site looks pretty cool. Thanks for the link. Does anyone know of any similar custom sites that I can check out, or any local custom nano designers/builders?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 02/23/2007, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

you dont really need any specific tools if you get the acrylic cut. A couple corner clamps comein handy to hold the angles and some weldon #3 acrylic glue.

I am making mine out of 5 panels because I dont have a acrylic bender. So I am making it just like a glass aquarium. Hope this helps.
Old 02/23/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I used weld-on #4 based on what I have read and by the advice of the local acrylic shop. Used it on an internal overflow...easy, and worked awesome.
Old 02/23/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

6 pieces to an acrylic tank. There is a piece that goes on top and for the most part is cut out. Think of a 2 or 3 inch rim around the top to keep the sides from bowing out.

Another option is to use a standard glass tank and drill overflows and returns through the back of the tank, and have a second tank under it for your fuge and sump.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 02/23/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

I am not using a eurobrace. I dont think 10 gals will be enough to bow 1/4 acrylic.
Old 02/23/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Try cadlights.com they have a 25 and 32 gallon..... Real sweet design...
Old 02/23/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, that cadlights.com place has some pretty cool stuff. Thanks for the link.
Old 02/23/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Send Calvin415 a PM

Custom nano