Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/14/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

cortez ray swimming funny

i need help, my wife bought me a ray for my birthday on Saturday ( my birthday was yesterday) everything was going good till today. i was hand feeding it and it was refusing 2 eat and was swimming weird and then rest on its back. i tested my water and pH was 8.0. ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, and my nitrate was at 80 ppm. holy crap so i did a water change of 15 gal. i have a 75 Gal tank. water temp is 76 and gets up to 79 during the day. when should i do my next water change and when should i test again? plz help.

thanks
Old 02/14/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

I don't know anything about rays. I found some info here but you'll have to sort through it.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/batoidsysfaqs.htm

Also, Aquatic Arts in Tempe or Mesa has a fair sized ray tank. Greg may be able to help.

As for water changes, most of the vets here recommend emergency water changes should be done as frequently as required to get the desired results without stressing the animals.

Watch your salinity on change water (mix .001 under whatever is recommended specifically for Rays and match temp to the best of your ability. A bathtub works wonders on a water container.

Sorry I can't help further. I'm just a newb. Someone else should pipe up as people are just starting to get home.

Good luck.
Old 02/14/2007, 07:28 PM
GO BEARS!!

A 3 degree swing on the temp is not extremely bad but not good either. Try to make the temp stay within 1-2 degrees.

Ryan
Old 02/14/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply. that was useful. just hope it pulls through
Old 02/14/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by evolust
A 3 degree swing on the temp is not extremely bad but not good either. Try to make the temp stay within 1-2 degrees.
its my MH that brings the temp that high. i hate 2 see what happens in the summer
Old 02/14/2007, 07:33 PM
GO BEARS!!

Ah, one thing I just remembered from when I had sharks. Sharks and rays are very sensitive to copper. You may want to get a test kit for that as well.

Ryan
Old 02/14/2007, 07:34 PM
GO BEARS!!

Are you running fans or a chiller?

Ryan
Old 02/14/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

theres no copper in my system. at least thats what me and skip came 2. i have a fan in the sump area but need 2 build it in my canopy
Old 02/14/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

evolust i know this is off topic but are u a breeder of rotties?
Old 02/14/2007, 07:41 PM
Industry Professional

J.R.- What is your S.G.? The system she came from was at 1.025 if your tank is much lower than that, that may be the issue.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 02/14/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

its at 1.025 too.
Old 02/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

skip, this sucks that my ray is on its last breaths. she was super healthy when i got it from u. i guess its something i must have done. I'll do another water change 2 get my nitrates lower.
Old 02/14/2007, 08:42 PM
Zoanthid proper

Do you have sharp rocks in the tank?
Old 02/14/2007, 08:55 PM
Building my new 600 Gall

It would probably be the nitrates. Definitely try and keep that lower. I found it easier to get a 35 gallon Rubbermaid storage box like they have for Christmas decorations and I fill that with my water and mix salt there. I make sure all the parameters are ok and then I do big water changes. This worked wonderfully in my 40 gallon tank if I needed to do a big water change.

In my 225 the 35 gallons is sort of mute but anyhow that's my suggestion. I haven't kept rays though.

I would do a test to make sure you don't have any voltage in the tank as well. I know sharks and rays are extremely sensitive to this and its something to rule out. Also its my understanding that rays like really fine substraight and don't do well with rough substraight. That's one more thing I have heard.

Hope all works out.

For Christmas I bought myself a Carpet anonomone and lost it on Christmas day after about a week. It sucks when things like this happen. Don't let it get you down, unfortunately sometimes fish die for little apparent reason. As long as you know you did everything in your power to provide the best home for the fish then you did everything you could and it wasn't your fault.

Shaun
Old 02/15/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by majestic sea life
Do you have sharp rocks in the tank?
not really, i have a reef setup in my tank. theres seems to be no sharp rocks when i look at it
Old 02/15/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hifiguy
It would probably be the nitrates. Definitely try and keep that lower. I found it easier to get a 35 gallon Rubbermaid storage box like they have for Christmas decorations and I fill that with my water and mix salt there. I make sure all the parameters are ok and then I do big water changes. This worked wonderfully in my 40 gallon tank if I needed to do a big water change.

In my 225 the 35 gallons is sort of mute but anyhow that's my suggestion. I haven't kept rays though.

I would do a test to make sure you don't have any voltage in the tank as well. I know sharks and rays are extremely sensitive to this and its something to rule out. Also its my understanding that rays like really fine substraight and don't do well with rough substraight. That's one more thing I have heard.

Hope all works out.

For Christmas I bought myself a Carpet anonomone and lost it on Christmas day after about a week. It sucks when things like this happen. Don't let it get you down, unfortunately sometimes fish die for little apparent reason. As long as you know you did everything in your power to provide the best home for the fish then you did everything you could and it wasn't your fault.

Shaun
thats what i'm thinking too about the nitrates. it didnt make it through the night but i'm working on getting the nitrates lower. almost wants me 2 quit the hobby. i had done a water change earlier that day i got the ray cause i knew i was getting some new fish. i didnt think that my nitrates would have spiked that high. dont know if i want 2 try another ray now. all i cant think is that it could have made it in someone else's tank.
Old 02/15/2007, 03:50 PM
GO BEARS!!

Sorry to hear! I use to breed but I dont want to take anymore life time off my female from having more litters so she was fixed. She is the sweetest dog ever and I'm hoping I can keep her forever!

Ryan
Old 02/15/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

yeah i have a rottie myself and wanted 2 get another one. rotties are one of the best dogs i've had. they're great with my kids and the other dog.
Old 02/15/2007, 04:46 PM
GO BEARS!!

^ I agree!

Ryan