Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/08/2007, 02:36 PM
Joliet Area Reef Club

What are the most brilliant Soft Corals?

I have a 90 which I set up with the intentions of keeping stony corals. However, after keeping this tank for some time and experimenting with different corals, I don't think I have the time to put into an SPS dominated reef.
I'm sure that there are many softy reefs out there, and I want to make a spectacular display or soft corals. What are some of the most awesome looking and most colorful soft corals?
Any tips for making a softy reef look amazing?
Old 02/08/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Dendronepthea, although they take a lot of time, scleronepthea and certain lemnelias. I have to take new pics of mine or I would post.
Good Luck you are making the right choice IMO.
Old 02/08/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Kenya tree, green sinularia, green star polyps and toad stools all look great in my 75. I put the green stars up and away from other rocks they seem to spread quickly. It now loos like a green tree with purple roots! It's all a matter of opinion. I would suggest researching softie pictures and go with what you like. I have mostly lps and softies, but like monti caps and merlina also. Good luck Gluestick!
Old 02/08/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

a link to some pics of mine although they are old pics
Old 02/08/2007, 03:20 PM
Joliet Area Reef Club

I'd love to see pics of your softie dominated tanks!
My montipora capricornis is the only sps doing well in my tank. I actually think it got bigger since I put it in, which I'm taking as a huge compliment. It's really the only sps I care about - I can't resist how those things fold and whorl and everything. The acros I can really take or leave, and they're really not as easy as everyone says, either...

I love my new toadstool leather. It's a green toadstool I got from the diver's den at LiveAquaria.
Does anyone know anything about chili coral? I saw some at themarinecenter.com and it's fabulous.

Old 02/08/2007, 03:49 PM
Joliet Area Reef Club

Wow, ajcut7, you have some really beautiful specimens!
What kind of lighting do you have on your tank?
This stuff, in particular, intrigues me. What is it? Tell me about it's care http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...70756105PLEnPj
In this photo, http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...70756105xOmJrh is that the same pink stuff? What is that awesome feathey thing in back of it? A gorgonian or some sort? Awesome!
The critters in the first pictures, are those carpet anemones? The blue one pretty spectacular, I've never seen one like that!

Do any of you keep gorgs with your softies? They are so awesome, but I have heard mixed reviews on their care.

Old 02/08/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

I have 3x175 and 4x96 PC's although the dendro's do not need strong lighting, i have it for the leathers. That is a feather star in the backround they are very difficult to keep but I have been lucky with mine, that pic is of dendronepthea and scleronepthea. Those are carpet anemones (haddoni), the blue one unfortunatly was never very healthy and didnt make it, the green one is doing great though. I have no gorgonians, never really tried them.
Old 02/08/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

I also keep pink encrusting gorgonia but I have to keep an eye on it it spreads quickly. I also have devils hand, xenia, yellow polyps, tadstools, ricordias and several zoas. I have numerous pictures but I just figured out how to size them to fit on RC. Today my wifes 12 gal JBJ nano arrived from Drs Foster & Smith so I,m trying to set it up.
Old 02/08/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I keep this under 230 watts PC.
Old 02/09/2007, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Cespitularia
Old 02/09/2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

ajcut7 - those are beautiful. Question for you - how hard to keep is the pink nepethea? I am guessing it is the one in lower right of this pic http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...70756105UVlWUs

Can you confirm please. The one to the upper left is the dendro, right?
Old 02/09/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

upper left is dendro the one in the middle is a scleronepthea. This is the first tank I have attempted to keep them and I have been quite lucky, the one in that pic has been with me for about 4 months or so and is doing great but from what I read that is not the norm at all. The only problem I seem to have is that my tangs like to nip at them. Also they have to be spot fed constantly, many people say three times a day with phyto and other invert food. I maybe feed them once a day and dose the tank with all sorts of additives but it seems to work for me.
Old 02/10/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Old 02/10/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

OK, what do I have to change to make pics show up without link. I am no computer expert, so if someone can tell me in simple terms it would be appreciated. Someone told me once, but I didn't understand....??

Thanks
andy
Old 02/11/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Gluestick, chili corals are very hard to keep. You have to target feed them in the middle of the night under a feeding dome, a royal pita. I have had one for a few months and I can see it gradually going down hill. Mine was a gift from the Mrs. and she really didn't know what she was buying.

I would stay away from this one unless you are a nightowl. The reason I said in the middle of the night, is cause that is the only time I have ever seen the feeding flowers out. I have tried to induce them to come out at lights out with no success, but still trying to save it.
Old 02/11/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I'll second what zoom said....I have not had one, but that is what I have read about them and heard. Cool looking, but seems like it would be a coral that just worried me too much.
Old 02/11/2007, 07:19 PM
Here comes the Gators

I like the green flourescent toadstools.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 02/11/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
what do I have to change to make pics show up without link.
Under picture in Photobusket there are 3 lines of choice for posting: the last contains word IMG - this what you need. Copy it, then paste into Reply window in the RC without using any buttons above Reply window. Then click Preview - image should be seen.

Scleroneptea:
more details on tank, if possible. Very interesting it it's keeping. Know theory, but can't keep the big corals alive.

Chili coral:
it should be more or less fine in the tank with a lot of floating small particulate matter, size of defrozen mysis water (mysis, defrozen in strainer in the small volume of water, or the cube of mysis directly in the tank), or ZoPlan and smaller sized food. Without skimming and proper filtration water spoils pretty quckly, beware. Need to be in high flow area.
If you feed all day long (say, 5 times a day) - most of the day chili will be open (at least under 27W daylight in 6g). Mine is always open late in the evening and in the morning, before light are on - no matter is food there or not. But if there are no food and lights are on - it closes.
BTW, there are different kinds of Chili - with smaller and with bigger polyps. The bigger are easier to feed, for the smaller - ZoPlan or mysis water, or the special food for filter feeders, if it's available and affordable.
Tried MicroVert, ChromaPlex - the reaction as if I didn't gave anything at all. Tried GARF recipe of flakes with ReefPlus - not with my filtration, they probably have better.

Non-photosynthetic gorgonians are much easier, than chili - large polyps: Cyclop-eeze, ZoPlan, mysis water.

But there are easier and better looking corals: neon-green candycane, bright red mushrooms, white xenia, green star polyps. You can take a look at the tanks in the threads Idol tank or Idol nano.
Old 02/12/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

dendro982

Thank You!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]