Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

new tank company - guys who left Oceanic?

I heard that when Oceanic got aquired by All-Glass, that a bunch of the people left and started another company in Texas. is this true? if so, are they selling tanks yet?

I've heard a few bad reports from all-glass and the "new" Oceanic lately, and I thought I'd check to see if these guys are up and running yet.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Aaron
Old 01/26/2007, 03:38 PM
Mullet Hunter

I bought a 75g AGA a few months ago and I am very happy with the quality FWIW.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Old 01/26/2007, 03:55 PM

Are you talking about AGE, Tommy?
Old 01/26/2007, 04:24 PM
clownfish fan

so all glass bought them out and didnt make them sign a noncompete?? sounds like a dumb move
Old 01/26/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Happens all the time. All Glass purchased Oceanic and then brought out the non compete or contracts. They can sign and stay or leave and do there own thing. The non compete is something people sign when they are being hired by a company.

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
so all glass bought them out and didnt make them sign a noncompete?? sounds like a dumb move
Old 01/26/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

its not age, or tommy. i just cant remeber the name of their new company, will find out tonight. i go to a lfs that sells some.

it also depends on the non compete. when i got hired at a service company, i signed one. basically i couldnt start my own business for 3 years or within 75 miles. also i basically i couldnt contact anyone that i had provided service too after i quit.
Port Aransas, TX
Old 01/27/2007, 09:23 AM

Deep Sea Aquatics? (972) 205-0700

Trying to figure this out for you.
Old 01/28/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

The non-compete only applys if they are still employed buy the company they originaly signed the contract with. If they quit or get fired they are free to work else where or even start up thier own company.
Old 01/28/2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Rising from Titanic (or Oceanic)?

Here's a news snippet that I've found:

"New Custom-Aquarium Supplier
GARLAND, Texas—Dan Engmark, former national sales manager for Oceanic Systems Inc., has launched a new aquarium manufacturing company called Deep Sea Aquatics. Deep Sea Aquatics specializes in Custom Aquariums, mid- to large-size standard aquariums and supporting cabinetry. The company also provides design and logistic support to dealers looking for custom aquariums as well as larger, standard aquariums. These products are currently being offered through Lone Star Pet Supply of San Antonio, Texas. The new venture is staffed with experienced personnel in all aspects of the aquarium manufacturing industry.

For more information, call (972) 205-0700."

(http://www.petbusiness.com/?pg=contents&spg=frontline)
Old 01/29/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. That does seem to be them. I'l give them a ring and see if they are selling tanks yet!

Aaron
Old 01/29/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

What did they say?
Old 01/29/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I couldn't get thru on any of the extensions, even the operator. Not too sure if that's a good sign
Old 01/29/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Dan answered the phone when I called...they appear to be in business. Indicated I can order through a couple of local retailers which he mentioned.
Old 01/29/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nanorfj
Dan answered the phone when I called...they appear to be in business. Indicated I can order through a couple of local retailers which he mentioned.
Did he indicate in what ways his tanks are going to be better? (I could tell him but he might punch me in the nose.)

Here's how I think my Oceanic tank could be better:
- Starphire glass should be used for the front of the tank if not for all of the tank.
- The overflow openings should be larger to fit standard PVC bulkheads, not the thin black ABS plastic bulkheads.

His tanks should continue to have the following features:
- I like the AGA Modern series cabinets better than the Oceanic cabinets, so his tanks should continue to fit the AGA cabinets. The AGA Modern series cabinets do not have a center brace between the doors so you can service a large sump more easily.
- I like the Megaflow overflows instead of the corner overflows that you can see filling up with debris.
Old 01/29/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

I did ask him if they were going to offer Starphire, which he confirmed.