Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2007, 11:16 AM
Moved On

Snow in Malibu California..........

Global warming??????

Old 01/18/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

As of this last week I have a hard time beleiving "Global Warming "
I was in montana/wyoming and it was as cold as -48 !!
A snowmobile guide that had lived there for 19yrs said he had only seen it as low as -52 in his time. So we were 4 deg from his record low that he could remember in 19 years ! He said normally its 0-20 this time of year and when I was there 2 yrs ago it was 20-30 deg.
So now St. Louis temps feel like a summer breeze.
Old 01/18/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

It happens, just very rare...

Does make you wonder though. Could just the timing of seasonal differences be changing, or climate zones?

"Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face."

Mike Tyson
Old 01/18/2007, 05:33 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by zt444a
It happens, just very rare...

Does make you wonder though. Could just the timing of seasonal differences be changing, or climate zones?
Thats my point, so could the melting and heating that people talk about with global warming.
Old 01/19/2007, 09:48 PM
Master of my domain

global warming.... its all about cyclical weather conditions, no doubt the last 100 years are warmer than the previous 100 years, but its all cyclical. What comes around goes around.

As the earth tumbles through space rotating on a 23.5 degree axis, things are bound to change... roll with it.

There is no such thing as global warming. Climates changing yes.

My two cents and I can't make change for a dollar so dont ask.
Old 01/20/2007, 07:52 AM
The lesser of two evils?

Ignore the political rhetoric and just get the irony of the article. Pelosi is getting her bill started and it snows in Malibu. I really like the idea of calling things like this the Gore effect simply because he loves to rant about global warming.

http://www.scaredmonkeys.com/2007/01...ing-committee/

I have no views with or against this topic or this article. It being used as another political poker chip like health care and taxes. The issue with this is there is no concrete evidence or proof its actually happening. We know and can calculate taxes and we know health care needs some help. I would tackle real issues first. Voters can touch their money and physically go to the doctor, not many want to pay for more expensive forms of cleaner energy and the increased costs of good and jobs when they come form the US. It might not be the $1K poker chip people think it is.

In short we should do anything to make the environment better but on the other side of the coin the environment and the global climate may be doing this on its own and our attempts to keep things "right" may be useless or simply cause more problems.

The piece of gun will eventually not plug the holes in the dam and the flood will fail even faster.

Wow I wrote to much, I only wanted to link to the article.
Old 01/20/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

LOL you get one snow in Malibu and it's cold for a few days so global warming doesn't exist.

There was also studies done that say the last 10 years were the hottest the earth has seen in 2000 years (ice records) Not to mention last year was the hottest year ever recorded world wide.
Old 01/20/2007, 10:35 AM
Moved On

wow!

its the hottest in 2000 years, which is means for panic...this is the hottest the earth has been in the most recent .00004% of its existance (2000/4,500,000,000)

Im buying a hybrid today

did you know that recycling actually consumes more energy/cost than producing a new product from scratch?
Old 01/20/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spooda420
global warming.... its all about cyclical weather conditions, no doubt the last 100 years are warmer than the previous 100 years, but its all cyclical. What comes around goes around.

As the earth tumbles through space rotating on a 23.5 degree axis, things are bound to change... roll with it.

There is no such thing as global warming. Climates changing yes.

My two cents and I can't make change for a dollar so dont ask.

Exactly what i was going to say! Took the words rite outta my mouth!
Old 01/20/2007, 01:53 PM
Lost in Space

Maybe I am a simpleton but the world is right where it has been. Dave still has air in his tanks, Capo is still older than me, Roy is still the one who got me hooked on reefing, the sun rises every morning and sets every evening, my paychecks still come in, my experience and friendship with this community still grows and I still like tater tots.

Let it get a little warmer or a little colder, I don't care, I am still breathing, still happy and still enjoy life.

And the more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I'd figured out
I have to learn again
Old 01/20/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Wow..............I can not believe some people still refuse to believe in science. It is proven. Global Warming is real. It is true that the weather may change in cycles but we as humans are affecting those cycles negatively. I would think reefers would be aware of the problems we are facing with coral bleaching do to increased temps in the oceans of the world. This is not a "POLITICAL" issue as you stated earlier. Just becase the Dems are pushing this and our current president has scientist that say they can not make the connection. There are also scientist that say they can not find a link between smoking and cancer.....May be the same guys. It is not made up people. What we do to this planet and its other inhabitants is repulsive. Oh I almost forgot about the political comment. I am sure there are plenty of republicans in this country that believe in what is now considered a FACT. Global Warming is real. Befor anyone starts I am not a big treehugger or anything. It is just upsetting to me that my kids and theirs will not be able to see the same reefs or animals that I can today. Well that is enough ranting for now. I could go on and on for hours.

Brian
Old 01/20/2007, 02:46 PM
Lost in Space

Very good post Brian, I for one am very interested in the plan to reverse global warming and get the planet back to the correct temperature...umm...what was the correct temperature for the planet to begin with?

Yes that is meant to be humorous but point is there. I do believe we have a pollution problem in the world and that isn't something new either. This isn't a political issue, it is a global issue. Do we have too many people on this planet? If so how do we solve that? Do we create too much waste? If so how do we solve that? How do we make sure the people who are trying to stop what is wrong are doing it for the right reasons and not for their own ambitious goals?

Global warming is real and it isn't the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. Pollution isn't new either but at least we have some control over that but only on a regional basis as some countries have different ideas on what pollution is.

I don't know of anyone who wouldn't be supportive of a solution to solve all of the worlds problems...because all of those problems are connected to each other. It isn't as easy as changing a leaky faucet, the faucet dripped on the floor and caused it to rot so you have to fix the floor and the sub floor and maybe the joists...etc. You can's stop poor countries from polluting, they need the industry to supply food and an economy, if you stop their industry, supply them with food, then some other part of the world will need to increase food production and that in turn will increase their pollution...the wheel keeps turning.

I too am saddened that my children may not be able to enjoy the things in life I enjoy.

I have to learn again
Old 01/20/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

I like tater tots too.

Brian
Old 01/20/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sirreal63
Capo is still older than me,
I'm warning you Jack .....don't make me play the hair card!

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 01/20/2007, 07:58 PM
Lost in Space

LOL...go for it, I am happy with my growing forehead.

I have to learn again