Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Room for another fish?

Im getting a little frustrated with my sps so im thinking of adding another fish to my 55 to get my interest back. Currently my fish list is...
Radiant wrasse 3.5"
fairy wrasse 4"
pair of ocellaris clowns
yellow watchman goby

Does anyone think its safe to add another fish without it being overstocked? If so any suggestions? I have a decent skimmer (asm g1x) and do weekly water changes.

-Thanks
Josh
Old 01/05/2007, 01:18 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Are you planning on keeping the SPS? Adding another fish with the demands of most SPS is probably not going to help (I am not sure why you are frustrated with your SPS - are they not doing well?)

Basically more fish = bad for SPS due to the increased nitrates and phosphates that come from caring for them. Now if you were converting to fish only or something with hardy tolerant corals, adding another small peaceful fish should be ok. Have you considered adding inverts? I think I have more fun watching my crabs take on the fish for their seaweed then I do with the fish themselves - and usually they will help keep the tank healthy due to the scavenging, which is a nice bonus
Old 01/05/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advise Mike! Yes, my sps went downhill for a few months but recently have started to somewhat come back around. Most bleached and had STN and I could not figure out what was wrong.
Now that they are growing again I have noticed that they are light in color and lacking the deep colors I have seen in other peoples sps. Im thinking its from lack of food for them i.e. fish poo. Thats were I got the idea to add another fish, and it would just be cool to have another one. I do have a ton of mini hermit crabs and one mamoth blue one. (ur my boy blue!).

Anyone else think my fish load is fine were it is. Its just that I need something to spike my interests in my tank again. I was seriously contiplating tearing it down. I do love the hobby I think I just need a change.
Old 01/05/2007, 02:26 PM
I'm all wet!

that is a light fishload for a 55

I dont know about SPS, but fishload wise, Im sure it would be just fine. Ive seen more fish in a 55 then what you go.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 01/05/2007, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

I think you could add another fish. Seems like a pretty light load you have now.
Old 01/05/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I agree 100% with the peanut gallery . Although a lot of fish is bad for the water constraints on sps tanks, you dont have much anyways. Add that fish and have someone check out all of the OTHER factors that may have given you problems with your stonies. If a fish will make you have a renewed interest that is probably better in the long run for your tanks health and your overall comitment to it. May I suggest a purple tang or a rabbit fish. Just a thought....Good Luck!
Old 01/05/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fragaholic
I have noticed that they are light in color and lacking the deep colors I have seen in other peoples sps. Im thinking its from lack of food for them i.e. fish poo. Thats were I got the idea to add another fish, and it would just be cool to have another one.
Um - I don't think fish poo is good food for SPS corals.

Not saying that adding another fish is a bad idea, just that it won't serve that purpose.
Old 01/05/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Fish Poo = Bad.... I can't believe I missed that when I read the post. I only wish fish poo fed the corals, it would save me a fortune. But as lons as you have a skimmer, another fish should be fine.