Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Indiana Marine Aquarium Society (INDMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2004, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

well, well, well, look who is coming up for air, lets talk cub baseball. joey b. era is still above six, and he still throws a change up for a fastball. farnsworth has blown a couple of games for the cubs. corkey sosa has hit a couple of home runs. what is corkeys strike to home run ratio. the cry baby started when alou freaked out on the cub fan in the playoffs. i would like to know who is the bigger cry baby, kerry wood, or dusty baker. i loved it when cubbie fans where throwing trash on field, drink more hams beer. if your out of hams, i will take a pabst blue ribbon. i love the cubs fan. it should be time for maddux to get shelled again. we will see what barretts batting average is at the end of the year, i think that home run he hit was the first of his big league career, now if he ever guns down a runner on there way to second, that will be a first too. barrett is a joke, and lucky to be a career 200 hitter. the injury was to the ligament in the ankle. you might have a cast on your foot, if you keep chewing on it before you speak. i wonder if dusty baker could look at mike prior in the face when he told him the injury was not that bad. why is todd walker riding an atv in his back yard when he is on the shelve. i bet he was in shock when he rolled up on the dead guy. i heard the goat was wearing wood 's jersey this weekend. i will give the cubs credit, clemments has looked really good this year. todd walker is a great player when he is not on the dl. mark g. or todd walker, who will it be at second. all in all the cubs still choke, and this will not be the year for a cub world series. the famous cub saying, we will get them next year. there will be no next year as long as cub management fails to provide the cubs and there fans with what the organization needs to be a winner. the cubs will always be one position player away from being a champion. go astros
Old 04/20/2004, 04:15 PM
Moved On

Manic Phase Bob
Old 04/20/2004, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

cubs wasted there money on maddux.....he will be 0-3 with an era over eight by the end of the week. the astros invested the money wisely with andy p., and roger c. roger c. is 3-0, and on record to break two major league records. roger is averaging seven stikeouts a game. the best part he is 41 years old, and still throws in the mid 90s.

move over cubs, you be luck to place in front of the reds.
Old 04/20/2004, 05:01 PM
Moved On

Glen, are those voices in your head talking to you? Do you flame the very team you root for? Can't sleep at nite,wringing your hands together constantly? If you do, then you're a true Cub fan!! Bob
Old 04/20/2004, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bob, are you sure Glenn isn't a Cards fan pulling my chain. Any cubs fan would know the crapy beer of choice is Old style! Glenn, you sure sound like a cards fan, and I know too many of them. Besides all your doom and gloom... how about the fact that the cubs are on the pace to hit over 300 HR this year, avg. over 2 a game, with six guys who can ligit hit over 30 each. Zambrano, Wood, and Clement all have two wins, Mad dog started last year 0-3 and had 15 wins down the stretch, and oh yeah while the astros will get petit off the DL the Cubs will get Prior. I like that matchup 10 out of 10 times. And like I said if Joe B can't get it back, then the cubs have Hawkins who has only thrown 7 scoreless, no walk, 2 hit innings so far as a setup man.
Old 04/22/2004, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

i am not a cards fan, although my astros have gave them the last two. as far as old style goes, the will keep that beer contract until there is a new one. i t will be one crappy beer after another. i have been a cub fan for 30 years, and they just dont get it. the last year broke my heart. i think prior is hurt more than dusty baker is leading on. wood got screwed on the strike zone in his last outing, but he did not handle it well. i dont think joey b. will ever get it back. he needs to go back to middle innings. you are right about hawkins, but we will se how long it last. maddux can not start a race every year and come back, the numbers and age will catch up with him. the problem with clemments is you never know who is going to pick up the ball on the pitching mound. he is doctor jykle, mr. hyde. the cub pitching staff was like that all year last year, except wood and prior. i got an idea, how about a know pitching coach. i will bet you a 12 pack of your favorite beer that the cubs will not hit more than 300 home runs in one year. man up fourseahorsemen. the cubs can handle teams like the pirates,reds, brewers, but the question is can they handle the cards, astros, dodgers,and giants which are some of the better teams in the national league. i hate watching a team that will not do the right things to better them self to win the series. the late innings keep the cubs from going to the world series. dustys decission to pitch to pugh with first base open also killed them, several times. i do like what the astros and angles have to offer this year
Old 04/22/2004, 04:29 PM
Moved On

Glen, is that you speaking or a closed-loop recording? Bob
Old 04/24/2004, 11:11 AM
Calvinist

how about em cubs- 4 games taken in a row, each game allowing 1 run..
8-1, 9-1, 12-1, 3-1

what was that about pitching? =Þ
Old 04/24/2004, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

the cubs are tied with the reds for first place, with the astros a half game back. i can not beleive my eyes, it was greg maddux of old on the rubber yesterday. greg had great controll for seven innings. greg gave up seven hits, one walk, seven strikeouts, and one earned run. the ball placement and movement was outstanding. he looked like a cy young winner again yesterday. i was glad to see the old greg maddux on the hill. the only thing i would like to see more, is more speed on the fastball. it was also nice to see farnsworth, and joey b. not blow the game in relieve. aluo and ramirez are seeing and hitting the ball really well. the cubs are playing ok right now. the true test will be when they play the cards, and astros. kerry wood has the rock today, it will be interesting to see if he is there to pitch or blow his cool. if he looses his head, bring in the relieve. i have bashed the cubs in the first part of the season. i will also give them to there props when they are do. i know bob and fourseahorsemen think i am not a cub fan. i am a cub fan, i am tierd of waiting for next year, lets do what champions do this year. i believe it starts with the upper management. the question is going to be who will start at second when mark g. is health again. the need a closer, joey b. is the best as a set up man. they need a big name closer. the cubs can pay the money for a great closer, they can pay now, or pay later. the cubs tradition will be to pay later.

glen
Old 04/24/2004, 02:36 PM
Calvinist

:-)
Old 04/24/2004, 04:55 PM
Moved On

Fellas, have you noticed that Glen has changed his closed-loop recording today.....& it's only a few weeks into the season Bob
Old 04/26/2004, 11:42 AM
Calvinist

is ee where you are coming from glen- have some good points.. that is definatly an area we could round out....

on the other side. how about those 13 strike-outs by matt.... 6-0 only allowing a max of 1 run a game .. good itme to be a cubs fan :-)
Old 04/26/2004, 12:26 PM
Moved On

Plus, we have a 20yr. LHP phemon in the lower minors[for now],Bob
Old 04/26/2004, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

i have stated all along clemments was off to a good start. the 13 strikeouts, and 2 hits where great. the cubs need he to step up with prior on the dl. i also like the play of todd walker. i did notice joey b. add three mile an hour to his fastball. the cubs are playing good day to day baseball. i still want to see if they can handle the cards, and astros. the dodgers are playing really well right now as well. i think it easy to win, when you play average teams. the test will come. if clemments and wood can stay on track, maddux starts playing like he has in the past, and they get prior back. the cubs then will need to control or watch there releivers so they dont blow games. it has and can happen. bob, the 20 year old in minors will not help the cubs this year. phemons are a dime a dozen. the question will be can he develop enough to stay in the show. i ask you to take a look at all the number one draft picks in baseball over the years. how many of them made it, and stayed in the bigs. the answer is not very many. i would like to see maddux have a few more good starts, before i jump on his band waggon. i also want to see if corkey sosa can stay healthy. the cubs success will be determined by how many guys can stay off the d.l.
Old 04/26/2004, 02:57 PM
Moved On

Well, Glen, finally, I mostly agree with your post Bob
Old 04/26/2004, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I say start Walker @ 2B until his bat cools, if it cools..he is a good pickup. Hendry, IMO has made some great moves and the cubs have stepped up to the plate with getting some great players the last couple years. I have been a cubs fan for a long time and they have not made positive moves like this before.
Randy Johnson looks like the old unit tonihgt, hopefully high pitch count will get him. The cubs will have to come back now.
Go Cubs!
Old 04/28/2004, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

walker is about 50 points higher in batting average. the throwing the leather is about even. i like walker alot, he had his game on in the playoff last year. randy johnson and roger clemmens are looking great this year. i like a relieve pitcher with the dodgers by the name of mota. he could be what the cubs are looking for in a closer. this kid can bring it. i would like to see derrick lee do more with the bat. alou and ramirez (could have spelled it wrong). patterson looked like he is a little off with at the plate, i think it can be fixxed with more looks at the plate. i have not followed the diamondback series this week, except for a few innings. bob i am glad to see you starting to see the cubs have issues, but they are small. i say let the goat in the stadium, make him a clubhouse pet.
Old 04/28/2004, 01:53 PM
Moved On

Agree, Glen, there's a lot of BB left--waaaay too early to worry,Bob
Old 05/03/2004, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

cub fans, did you happen to see the game farnsworth blew this weekend. this why i dont not like him as a pitcher, you never know what guy is going to get on the mound and pick up the ball. his pitch location was terrible. that is the second game farnworth has blow this year. as you said bob, the year is early. there will be a few more of these games, i am sure. history repeats it self, and i am afraid the cubs will do the same.

it has been great seeing the cubs win, and win big. everyone has been pulling together and playing well. hopefully this is one game against the cards, and that is it. these are the games i was talking about that the cubs have to win, it shows what kinda team they are. fourseahorseman jump in with your thoughts as well. it looks like it is just us three on here anyway.

the goat wheres farnsworth's jersey, untill farnsworth gets his jersey back
Old 05/03/2004, 01:27 PM
Calvinist

well, tied 1-1 now...
Old 05/03/2004, 05:55 PM
Calvinist

w00t for the stolen base by madman :-) and the win
Old 05/03/2004, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

split on the road works for me. The starting pitching is awsome. Sammy finnaly got to the cards week bullpen. I agree the Farns needs to get it together, I don't trust him. We really need to get remlinger back. Glad to be out of the birdcage with a split, with Prior making some good pitches off the mound and looking like he might make it back...and back in first thanks to the reds!
Old 05/04/2004, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

another good outing by greg maddux, i dont like the fact that he gives up the long ball every now and then. sosa's catch was great, the last time i saw corkey lay out for a fly ball, he got smoked in the noggin with the rock. i dont know i am so sold on remlinger either. joey b. would be a great set up guy, and that is what he was supposed to be. todd walker was 3 for 5 with a dinger, he is smokin. i was very shocked to see the reds beat the astros yesterday. the reds could real help the cubs with some wins, that would create some distance for the cubs. i looking forward to see clemments pitch again. does anyone know when prior is do back. i heard he is throwing simulated games now in the bull pen
Old 05/04/2004, 05:23 PM
Moved On

Prior is throwing w/o pain,,,probably ~3wks, Bob
Old 05/05/2004, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

good, i cant wait to get him back.....i hope he has not lost to much, and will need time to catch up with his game