Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

great pictures Tim!!
- Jason
Old 01/09/2008, 02:39 PM
Moving Along

Hey bro, the day your pics get boring is the day coral itself is boring to us all. I dont think that's happening anytime soon

Everything looks exceptional!

-Justin
Old 01/09/2008, 02:46 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
Minh- It can get more expensive than this hobby. I have three lenses now, a tripod, a shutter remote, and a few other goodies as well.

After all that, you have to process the pictures and they don't look anything like they should. It gets really frustarting.
Well it looks like I won't get into photography.. The last thing I need is ANOTHER frustrating, expensive hobby!!
Old 01/09/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Nice shots, keep em coming!
Old 01/09/2008, 03:04 PM
August TFR Relay '07

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
Minh- It can get more expensive than this hobby. I have three lenses now, a tripod, a shutter remote, and a few other goodies as well.

After all that, you have to process the pictures and they don't look anything like they should. It gets really frustarting.
mark, i haven't done the raw mode yet which requires the processing . one of these days i will.

and whats up with all these reef-related "hobbies" being so dang expensive?! i couldnt imagine being a reefer, photographer and diver . i envy those that can do it all!
Old 01/09/2008, 03:11 PM
My tank is too full

I still shoot in JPEG fine for that exact reason.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/09/2008, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

So do you like the camera? I was thinking of getting my wife one also
Old 01/09/2008, 05:42 PM
August TFR Relay '07

blade, i don't think i've even scratched the surface on its potential . but the pic's she's taken of family stuff have come out really nice .

i'm used to our canon powershot a95 (point and shoot) and have a lot to learn. btw, she got it costco as a bundled package.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

If you guys want to talk about an expensive hobby - try underwater photography. My wife is part of an underwater photography club. Right now she uses a point and shoot. But she wants an underwater SLR unit. The problem is that the underwater housing cost $2400. The lense port costs $400+, and you need a different port for different lense. Don't forget the underwater strobe at $800 each - and they recommend two of them! Add on the scuba gear equipment ($1400) and the drysuit ($3K). Well - my reef hobby seems really cheap compared to her new hobby.

Bladerunner - It's a nice beginner SLR. The lense that comes with it is kind of cheap. But any decent lense will cost $$$. I bought my wife a Canon EOS XTi with a Sigma 18-200 f3.5-6.3 DC OS and a Speedlite 580EX II flash . Actually that Sigma lense isn't great either, but I like the wide zoom range (which is nice for a beginner).
Old 01/09/2008, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Shot in raw AND JPEG. It's much easier to adjust your image when it's in raw mode. My uncle (a professional photographer) did my wedding last year. He gave us all of the pictures in both RAW and JPEG. While the JPEG looked nice, we were able to use the RAW files in order to modify exposures on portions of the picture. I recommend a program like Adobe LightRoom.

Also - if you might want to purchase this following book. It's a pretty good intro book.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...d_sim_e_img_19

Quote:
Originally posted by tfp
mark, i haven't done the raw mode yet which requires the processing . one of these days i will.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Tim, those pics look great. As always, seeing your stuff keeps me motivated.