Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2006, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

hahnmeister, in light of the apparent fact that m58s and xm bulbs are not great.. i definately see what you are saying about the de evc bulbs..

the 14k vs 10k on m80s looks good...

however the cct on the 10k is LOW (5700).. as it lacks area under the left(blue) side of the curve (compared to the xm 10 m58...

SO that 14k might not really be enough to supplement enough blue to make me happy..

so this is the 10k vs 20k.. i think this is my choice..

the autoscale is a little misleading.. but i think this combination of light must be excellent for coral growh.. as well as componenet life..

what do you think?

-frank
Old 11/24/2006, 01:31 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I think you lost me there. Sorry, I must be in a post-turkey coma. I do see that I forgot to finish a sentence a while back though... I meant to say that DE are better than SE, when possible (or in the case of 400watt bulbs, HQI is better than probe start), due to longevity.

The best option for good output and life with SE bulbs is an electronic ballast like an Icecap or EVC (EVC's are my favorite). The best option for HQI/DE bulbs is a HQI ballast. Even with the sheild, this combo should outperform and outlast a SE bulb... its what they were designed for. Running a SE bulb on a regular M59 or M58 ballast (probe start magnetic) usually causes them to color-shift faster (cruddy power control), and die faster, with less intensity on the way. These ballasts are the same as those 'high-bay' bell pendants that are in warehouses and big-box retailers, buzzing away. I would never consider running an aquarium bulb on one.

I stick with M80 (250wattHQI), M81 (150wattHQI), and 400wattHQI ballasts (I forget the 400wattHQI designation) for HQI bulbs, and e-ballasts in the rare case that someone wants to use a Single ended probe start bulb, but for the most part, I try to stick with HQI bulbs. They last longer, put out more light, etc.

As far as trying to 'balance' the light by using a 10,000K and a 20,000K, or something like that... it doesnt really work that way. If you are going to blend bulbs, its better to have the blue bulb one size larger than the 10,000K so that the output of the bluer bulb can compete with the near-double output of the warmer bulb.

At that, I still think dual 250s are more than enough. Just get HQI 14,000Ks or 20,000Ks, and that will be a great looking/growing tank.

Or, I would still consider a 6x39 watt T5 setup over everything. You could run two sun bulbs, two blue+ bulbs, and two UVL super actinics, and you would have a very bright, and very pleasing color that would grow corals well... but for only 234 watts. Or, if in doubt, run 8x39watt... that would shred the output of a couple 250wattDE halides. Just shred.
Old 11/24/2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

i really appreciate all the great advice you've given me.. im so glad im not finding all this out the expensive way..

t5s... ive been planning metal halide all along.. plus ive never had MH lighting before.. so despite the fact that i could certainly go t5, im sticking with MH for this lighting setup.. surely it will not be my last....

before i get in depth heres my new 'what i want now' spectral plot..

so i am still mixing and matching, even though this is not common.. i think that in my situation; a 36" tank w/ no center brace, and the two small reflectors....

... placed very near one another in the center, perhaps even with a slight adjustable angle inward.. i wont get soo much of a yellow left on the blue on the right effect.... using the one 150 will lower power consumption a little.. not that it really matters at this point haha......

but as im writing this i cant help but think maybe its not enough.. the tank is deep and i want to be able to put sps basically as low as i want.. the 150w 10k's ppfd is low compared to that 250..

maybe i should just go 250 10k + 250 20k as shown above, and run the 10k fewer hrs.. its hard for me to decide if that 10k bulb is just way too yellow because i have no idea what it looks like in person, maybe you wont even be able to tell the 20k is there.. and furthermore the evc 20k has no cct given (though it must be high, that spike is huge) so i cant really get a good idea of what the average would be..

i could always buy this setup (250 10k + 250 20k) and switch that 10k bulb out for the 14k.... idk.. i know theres no real answer, im just bouncing it off ya..

ok sorry stupid question: http://www.hellolights.com/25hadmam80ba.html
this is it right? i only ask because i dont see pfo anywhere.. im not really worried about wiring or constructing an enclosure

or should i just be getting something like this..
http://www.championlighting.com/prod...584&bestseller

and lastly.. where do you buy evc bulbs? i know they must be a retailer with them in my favorite places somewhere... but.. u know how it is, like a needle in a stack of needles..

i hope that i am not dragging this out too long, i dont want to be rude.. but i think there must be others who might be about to buy m58s that can benefit from this information

thanks again -frank
Old 11/25/2006, 01:41 AM
El Jefe de WRS

PFO is just a mfg of the ballasts... that one you have linked to at hello lights is just a barebones setup by Advance. FWIW, if this is your first dive into halides, I dont know that a DIY ballast would be the way to go.

For what you want, why not just go with dual 250watt 20,000Ks? The look is very nice, as you said... that 150watter isnt adding much in comparison. That way, you are also more 'future-proof', and you wont have to try to hard to 'blend' the light.

I tend to shop at reefgeek, premium aquatics, and marine depot... their prices are usually less than hello lights on almost everything. Heres a nice setup I would go with by SLS... http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...ng/104820.html

That ballast you have linked to at champion is not HQI. This one is though... http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=PF1632

I could throw out several ideas for reflectors, but let me ask you, are you going to use a canopy, or open top? It seems like you are trying to cut costs as much as possible. Hello lights does have those $29 retrofit reflectors that look alright, but only if you have a canopy to house them. Otherwise, a good HQI reflector will run you about $100.
Old 11/27/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

http://www.reeftanksupply.com/produc...roducts_id=550

i dont get why its so cheap?? 250w pfo hqi.. am i missing something?

-frank
Old 11/27/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

ugh what??.. anyway see reeftanksupply PFO 250w hqi ballast
Old 11/27/2006, 04:23 PM
El Jefe de WRS

PM me with the addy. Thats odd. I dont know why there would be a problem with a commercial link here at RC... people do it all the time.
Old 11/28/2006, 03:11 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Those prices dont seem too great to me... thanks for the PM... dont know why RC would block that site.

Anyways, I have a question for Sanjay:

Do you see any future with the aquarium trade for induction lamps? They seem to have a much longer life than most (no electrodes in the bulb itself to wear), and outputs that rival halides...
http://catalog.myosram.com/zb2b/b2b/...browserminor=4
Old 11/28/2006, 03:28 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Just curious, but what model of OSRAM ballasts are used for these fixtures (Im a tech nerd)?
Old 12/02/2006, 10:43 PM
Hawks Rule!

Hey Hahn! I decided to run those 400w SE Gman Coral bulbs on the galaxy ballasts. Sanjay got some pretty darn good par with the electronics and a shield according to his results. I've only had them running a few days, but are they ever a clean white colored bulb that makes the corals look awesome. I'm running them with a T5 combo of 2 ATI B+ and 2 UVL SA's and it makes the corals look better then any other lighting combo I've gone with.

I'm interested to see if they shift any after they burn in, but I'm sure happy with them. I wish I would have went with this setup 2 months ago when I originally set this tank up. Anyways... if anyone is thinking about spending the money($120/each) on some good bulbs. I'd give these a shot.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 12/03/2006, 09:59 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry11901
Hallo every one .I have T5 lamp with 36 inch bulbs.My someone help me to find bulb that would ad some red light to my reef tank? Any links?
I just ad 3000K to my T5 setup, and I am happy with the effect .Thanks to seller: Reefgeek, and all guys who recommend it
Old 12/06/2006, 08:03 AM