Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/24/2006, 12:13 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Hey all,

I was wondering what FREE photo hosting sites that people use other than photobucket? I'm not entirely happy with photobucket's interface and thought I would try some others.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 01/24/2006, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Brian, I use photobucket and am very happy with it. I also pay the $25 a year, so I am not limited by the amount of pictures I store. Plus I don't mind the interface.

Other sites you might want to look at are snapfish.com or bravenet.com or http://picsplace.to/
Old 01/24/2006, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lunner
Yeah, mine is 48x13x20 also. Do you have pic of your 55gal?

Thanks
I haven't taken any in a while - will try and snap some and post later.

I use photobucket - it's so so. I do not pay anything extra...I just delete old photos. Call me stingy.
Old 01/25/2006, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

I almost got everything set up. Waiting for T5 retro and do some piping this weekend and I should be set. But it seems the problem will be waiting for the TBS package with the problem they are facing down south.
Old 01/26/2006, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

sounds like a long wait, i waited about 2 months for each of my pkgs, but this is going to be longer with the water problems their facing. BUT IT'S WORTH THE WAIT !
Old 01/26/2006, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Poor TBS is really having a hard time. We are getting one front after the other coming through. We get two to three days of nice weather, then another front comes through. Wish things would settle down so they could get back in business!

lunner, if you lived closer, I'd tell you to come on over. I have about 10lbs TBS base rock that I am looking for a home for! That would at least give you something to look at in your tank!! LOL
Old 01/26/2006, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

a lot of you guys followed my tank for a long time. i just wanted to post a link to my latest bad luck. i probably wont be checking in to this thread much (not that i have lately), so please post any responses to the linked thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=761044

thanks for all of you guys support and inspiration!
Old 01/26/2006, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
Poor TBS is really having a hard time. We are getting one front after the other coming through. We get two to three days of nice weather, then another front comes through. Wish things would settle down so they could get back in business!

lunner, if you lived closer, I'd tell you to come on over. I have about 10lbs TBS base rock that I am looking for a home for! That would at least give you something to look at in your tank!! LOL
LOL a rock in the tank is better then nothing! LOL
Thanks anyway, I am not even close to you.
Old 01/27/2006, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

lunner - a pic of my 55...

couple notes:

1) the coralline was virtually all scrapped off the back walls by accident. I had a family member come by while I was away to help maintain the tank and rather than only clear the front class of coralline - he did all sides...

2) the tank has had part one tbs rock only now for about 14 months. I think part two has been in for less than a year.

No crabs are left in the tank. I fished most of them out for food for the mantis (when I had them) and euthanasia.

I lost both cukes, a bunch of hermits and a red serpent that hitched in with part one (sniff sniff- I was too inexperienced...).

As far as I can tell - i've only lost two astrea snails. They have actually exploded in size.

In the tank (unseen) is a clown and a royal gramma, a pair of cleaner shrimp - and one single peppermint (i think). My serpent star goes missing for a week and appears only when it wants to be fed. Most folks that visit equate the star with an ugly mass of green worm-like tentacles. I like to think of it as my mini green octopus. No it is not the dreaded serpent star that eats fish. I had it checked by our dr. ron.
Old 01/27/2006, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Thats nice Phil!

I am just a bit curious, no other place sell live rock as nice as TBS?
Old 01/27/2006, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thats nice Phil!
No, if you're going to buy FL aquacultured....there is nothing as nice as TBS.
Old 01/27/2006, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

What you guys think of these Indo. rocks from Reefscience:

Old 01/27/2006, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

It looks pretty awesome. I don't know how dense it is or anything...but it looks spectacular!

If you're serious about it, give Chad a call and ask him all kinds of questions. He's a great guy!
Old 01/27/2006, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

I loved the way this picture came out:

I also was able to get a picture of the baby cleaner shrimp:
Old 01/27/2006, 09:41 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
What you guys think of these Indo. rocks from Reefscience:

Looks like a nice structure, but isn't that the dreaded bryprosis (spelling) algae? Yikes!

Brian
Old 01/27/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

looks more like a type of turf algae to me, but not sure they would have shown the picture with nuisance algae on it.......would they?? Especially THAT much algae!!
Old 01/27/2006, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

pat, i went to suffolk fish and reef today. a lot of tanks, a lot empty. a lot of large corals, larger than pw so the prices were higher. he had a flame $10 cheeper than i paid at pw. they had a nice frag tank with lots of softys. 2 shelves, one was $26 and 1 was $33. i bought 1 from each shelf.it's a 1/2 hr ride for me but i'd go back. i just will not get my hopes up for what he has at that time.
Old 01/27/2006, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Bob, I've heard a few people say they call the stores to ask when they normally get deliveries in, then go that day. Helps to avoid that "empty tank" syndrome.
Old 01/27/2006, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thats nice Phil!

thanks. Actually - are you aware of the "other" site that is devoted to folks in nyc? i can pm it to you if you want. I've never been to their frag swap but I'd imagine that would be a great place to get items both big and large for decent prices. You'll also be introduced to folks nearby who might be willing to help you get started for free.
Old 01/27/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

the empty tanks save me from spending too much. i get out to the store so i feel like i tried!
Old 01/28/2006, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Bob's pictures

Bob, thanks for the info on fish & reef. How much was the flame angel? I have always liked them, but only saw one at pw, and it had ich.

Here are some pictures Bob sent to show us.

Old 01/28/2006, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

at pw i paid $49 at f&r it was $38, maybe it's my eyes but the one i got from pw seams to have a deeper red
Old 01/28/2006, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

thanks for posting the pics for me. that 1 pistol is comming out more and more. i liked that i got the pistol, cuke and a serpent star in one frame.
Old 01/28/2006, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
at pw i paid $49 at f&r it was $38, maybe it's my eyes but the one i got from pw seams to have a deeper red
The one in your picture is beatuiful! Your urchin is HUGE too!!
SC reef & fish is probably 25 minutes away from me, so it's certainly not as bad as pw is.

I find that things in the tank aren't really growing. They're just more or less staying the same, and even some zoas have disappeared. I don't know if it is because Bob's light bulb placement was different than what I had in the tank I sold or what. But I was always seeing growth in my tank, and now I find it more or less stagnant. The corals open nice and full during the day.
The candy cane has not grown at all nor gotten any new heads. It is a different candy cane than the one I had that got a bunch of new heads, and I had only gotten it a week or two before I sold the tank....so I don't know if it's just Bob's tank, or it would have been the same in my sold tank.
Benny the blenny is constantly throwing sand all over the place and knocking zoa frags all over the place. Many of them have disappeared because he knocks everything he can off the rocks.

I don't even see a tremendous amount of coralline growth. So I don't know what the story is.
Old 01/28/2006, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

i find i have to dose cal and alk every day or to to maintain the right levels, and i test 2-3 times a week.my lights are on about 10 hrs and of course i overfeed