Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

OT: Attention Gamers

So the wife tells me yesterday that she wants the Wii. This comes after a discussion I am having with her brother about Xbox.

Not being much of a gamer (PS2 owner that plays couple times a month) what do I need for these games? Yes both. I figure I may as well get her what she wants and then get what I want.

Someplace to get them also would help? Looks like everyone is sold out online. This does not have to be an x-mas gift, would be nice but not needed.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 12/17/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

I've read somewhere that if you pay for a wii now, Nintendo will give you a slip guaranteeing you that you'll get one in January.

That could work, but at the same time it seems that every Sunday Best Buy ad that shows the wii has small print on the bottom "minimum xx per store." I'd check the ad, then maybe hit them up on Sunday morning if you see something similar.

The Xbox as I'm sure you know is not difficult to find.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

I was not too worried about the xbox, more the Wii. Would be nice to get them both at the same time yes, but prefer to get hers first.

I will have a look at the add and see what I find.

Thanks
Old 12/17/2007, 09:43 AM
Discontented Reefer

Just saw on the news that people are camping at Best Buy for the Wii again. If you want one now, you are probably going to spend a long cold morning in front of a store.

The alternative would be to pay extra and go the eBay route. The biggest problem with the eBay thing is that you could A) not get the Wii at all B) Get a problem machine and C) you aren't able to buy the extended warranty which I think you should really have on these game consoles. I've had the DVD fail on two Xboxes and my Wii.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Now that's just crazy. A month ago this thing was all over the place as I bought one for my nephew and there were probably 100 on the shelf at the time.

This boy isn't waiting in line for it that's for sure. She can wait. I love my wife and all, but she would agree waiting in line is crazy. Once x-mas is over they will have plenty. Just figured if someone had some inside intel on where to get one or when a shipment was coming I could surprise her for x-mas.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:56 AM
Reef Geek

I have access to an application that monitors the inventory of all the stores in an area for the Wii. If you give me your zip code I'll check it out and let you know where to get one. I got mine last year right after christmas, and I had it 10 minutes after the store got them in stock.

by beerguy

"This is a reef keeping hobbyist board. Things would be much better if we just got back to that."
Old 12/17/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

I just checked craigslist and there were none for under $350 - crazy.

Like Todd said, around 2 months back I saw them in the stores pretty regularly.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:59 AM
Reef Geek

Gamestop in Bollingbrook says they have it in stock. I'd call first. If you pm me your cell number and carrier I'll set it up to alert you via text message when another store gets stock.

by beerguy

"This is a reef keeping hobbyist board. Things would be much better if we just got back to that."
Old 12/17/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

I have a friend right now that said she saw 10 in Walmart last week at 2 in the afternoon. She is going today again and is going to check.

Zip Code is 60563
Old 12/17/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbierzyc
I just checked craigslist and there were none for under $350 - crazy.

Like Todd said, around 2 months back I saw them in the stores pretty regularly.
I checked Craigs this morning also and saw the same thing. Thanks for checking
Old 12/17/2007, 10:11 AM
Reef Geek

Okay, I set up the alerts to your cell. It should send you a test but I haven't used the cell alerts in a while. Let me know how it goes!

by beerguy

Old 12/17/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Will do. Thanks for the help.

Walmart was a bust. She just called me.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:21 AM
Reef Geek

I know, I can track Walmart too and it says out of stock. That Gamestop in Bollingbrook is the only store in the area with one now. I sent a test to your cell, let me know if you get it.

by beerguy

Old 12/17/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

I was in teh same boat as you and ended up getting the Xbox first and guitar hero 3. My wife is hooked on that so i figured that would hold her over till her birthdaywhen i will get her the Wii. From what i hear the gets old after a few months of playing the sport games. Thats just what i've heard but i enjoy playing it still whenever i get the chance.

Xbox 360 is sweet though. I'd love to get xbox live hooked up and play against some of you guys for frags.

In all honesty i think you are better off to wait till after the holidays to get her the Wii. They are just too hard to find. Unless you go out into the middle of nowhere. Then you might find one. I hear target gets them in on Sundays. Don't know if thats true or how many but i am just passing along the word.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonFish
I know, I can track Walmart too and it says out of stock. That Gamestop in Bollingbrook is the only store in the area with one now. I sent a test to your cell, let me know if you get it.
Which one? There are 2 it looks like....

FYI...No text yet
Old 12/17/2007, 10:28 AM
barnacle boy

dragonfish can you check coral shipments with that thing lol
Old 12/17/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
I was in teh same boat as you and ended up getting the Xbox first and guitar hero 3. My wife is hooked on that so i figured that would hold her over till her birthdaywhen i will get her the Wii. From what i hear the gets old after a few months of playing the sport games. Thats just what i've heard but i enjoy playing it still whenever i get the chance.

Xbox 360 is sweet though. I'd love to get xbox live hooked up and play against some of you guys for frags.

In all honesty i think you are better off to wait till after the holidays to get her the Wii. They are just too hard to find. Unless you go out into the middle of nowhere. Then you might find one. I hear target gets them in on Sundays. Don't know if thats true or how many but i am just passing along the word.
I figured it would be nearly impossible to find one, but it doesn't hurt to try. See what happens.

I want the xbox so I can play the bro-in-laws with the live portion and see if I can beat Tonya and the others that are online with it

Thanks for the info
Old 12/17/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Called both Bolingbrook stores...Nada
Old 12/17/2007, 10:48 AM
Reef Geek

Gamestop

143 N. WEBER ROAD IL, 60490

I can track most retail locations for a lot of different items but only ones that use an online database for their inventory. Not many fish stores use that

by beerguy

Old 12/17/2007, 11:14 AM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

I use the tracker too a month back but I got mine by calling the store. It seems that the tracker is a tad behind. when I called the store (game stop in algonquin) and they said that they have 25 that just came in then I immediately checked the tracker and it showed nothing on it. so if I were youI'd call the stores near your area everyday ask for their delivery time and call at that particular time. I think it is usually around 11am is the gamestop delivery comes in.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
This sounds like a good idea to me... I'm already on Xbox Live, just waiting for more of you to get connected.

Back in August, when I got my Wii, I wish I had enough cash in the bank to get two of them... I found out a month ago that my parents (of all people) are interested in getting one... I was thinking that would be the perfect combo gift for the two of them, but all of my recent searches have turned up empty.

I've tried the "Wii Alert" messages that are delivered to your cell phone in the form of a text message, but the problem with that is, that the messages come from a different timezone, so you're essentially screwed... in my opinion, the best bet is to just try random stores at random times.

Out of the three next gen gaming systems (and I own all three of them), I still contend that the 360 is the best of the bunch... just for the library of great games that it has, as well as the Xbox Live online "experience".
Old 12/17/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

The xbox is definitely on the list.

Being new to this system and not doing much research yet, what do I need to go "Live" with it? Certain accessories that are a must? Games?
Old 12/17/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Poppy828
Being new to this system and not doing much research yet, what do I need to go "Live" with it? Certain accessories that are a must? Games?
When you first get your console, you receive a free month of Xbox Live's "gold" service... this is the service that costs $50 for a 13 month subscription, and I feel that it's worth every penny.

You can renew your account before the trial month ends with your credit card info being sent to Microsoft directly through your 360, or you can buy a renewal card at any retail store for this purpose... I usually do the latter, as I am one of the paranoid people who doesn't like giving out credit card info over the 'net.

Accessories that are a must? The "play and go" controller charger... worth every penny of the $19.99 charge... you won't be spending tons of cash on AA batteries for your wireless controllers.

FYI: If you get the premium 360 console bundle, you'll get the headset for free, so you won't be spending anything extra to get that for online voice communications... it also comes with a short whip of CAT-5 cable, so you can connect to your router, if it is that close to the TV you're setting up the 360 on.

Games that are a must? Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas, skate... and many others, depending on what kind of games you're into.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N3gative Cr33p
When you first get your console, you receive a free month of Xbox Live's "gold" service... this is the service that costs $50 for a 13 month subscription, and I feel that it's worth every penny.

You can renew your account before the trial month ends with your credit card info being sent to Microsoft directly through your 360, or you can buy a renewal card at any retail store for this purpose... I usually do the latter, as I am one of the paranoid people who doesn't like giving out credit card info over the 'net.

Accessories that are a must? The "play and go" controller charger... worth every penny of the $19.99 charge... you won't be spending tons of cash on AA batteries for your wireless controllers.

FYI: If you get the premium 360 console bundle, you'll get the headset for free, so you won't be spending anything extra to get that for online voice communications... it also comes with a short whip of CAT-5 cable, so you can connect to your router, if it is that close to the TV you're setting up the 360 on.

Games that are a must? Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas, skate... and many others, depending on what kind of games you're into.
SO what you're saying is, I should take you with me when I am ready to buy so I get the essentials??

Specific Bundle packages I should look out for? Again, just starting to really look into this. Always been a PS owner.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Poppy828
SO what you're saying is, I should take you with me when I am ready to buy so I get the essentials??

Specific Bundle packages I should look out for? Again, just starting to really look into this. Always been a PS owner.
If you take me with you, you wouldn't go spending more than you have to, that's for sure... but I digress...

Definitely go with the Xbox 360 "premium" bundle... it comes with all of the extras, including the 20gb hard drive, the headset, and the CAT-5 cable.

Here's a picture of the premium bundle...

If you have an extra $100 to spare on the 360 console, I'd say you should go with the elite bundle... which gives you the ability for having HDMI output, and a 120gb hard drive (which I upgraded my premium console with a few months ago)... the console comes in a new black color, and has the black controller included... this is for the more serious gamers out there, but if you're looking for top of the line stuff, this one is it!

Here's a picture of the Elite 360 bundle...