Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Indiana Marine Aquarium Society (INDMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2004, 12:14 PM
Moved On

That's why the 3wks; Bob
Old 05/05/2004, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I hear it is more like 6 weeks for Prior, mid June if we are lucky. This lack of runs is starting to be a bad trend. Alot of these guys do hit better though when the weather heats up. IMO they need to mix things up with the linup, put barret in the two hole and drop Patterson to 6 or 7, Patterson's OBP is way to low only like .300...not saying he won't get hot and have a great year but the need to get something going.
Old 05/06/2004, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

you are right patterson is not hitting well, but he sold in the field. barrett has suprized me this season, i dont know if he deserves the two spot. i hope he can produce the rest of the season. i agree with you jeff, we will be luck to see prior by the end of june. i am starting to beleive maddux is starting to get in his grove.
Old 05/07/2004, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

SHOT FIRED OUTSIDE THE CUBBIE BAR........WHAT IS UP WITH THAT.....CANT WE ALL GET ALONG ON THE WAY TO A BALL GAME. HOPEFULLY THE GOAT WAS HIT, AND BAD LUCK WILL LEAVE THE CUBBIES FOREVER.
Old 05/10/2004, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

the cubs can look great or they can look bad. greg maddux looked great except for one pitch on saturday. he gave up the long ball to a pitcher, of all people. jennings took maddux hard to give himself the win, and greg the big L. i want to ask, is jennings a good hitter, or did greg serve up a goofer ball, and have a mental break down for one pitch of the game. what about the press statement that alou gave about urinating on his hands to avoid blisters. what ever happened to pickle brine. i have heard of if you dont pee on your hands, you do not have to wash them, but to pee on them to avoid blisters. i bet his wife loves that, i would not want him as waiter either. the cubs did finish strong on sunday in 13 and half innings. the astros are still two in front in the division.
Old 05/20/2004, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

how about the walk off home run by "pee on my hands" alou....take that daddy (flepie).... its good news to see that wood is throwing off the mound with no pain, wood's injury started to scare me.....the cubbies are starting to get really beat up right now. alou's homer could be just enough to carry them thru the injuries.....that can really pump up a team.....any word on when prior is returning. sammy does your sister play.....the fans should call him susan sosa.....i cant play because, i hurt my back sneezing....what a girl....the more you pay a guy, the more problems he will have preforming.... note to sammy, take off your pretty pink panties, hike your skirt, and playball.....your team needs you.....go cubbies

glen
Old 05/20/2004, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Did you see Alou giving high fives to the fans after he hit the HR? I kept thinking, man not my hand!

Prior has two starts in Lansing (starting tonight) and one in Iowa before he pitches against the Pirates on June 4th if all goes well.

Hopefully Wood can pitch Saturday against the Cards, I have tickets and am going up for the game. Otherwish it is Glendon Rush. Ugh! Oh, well just to be in Wrigly is fun even if yo pitcher is getting shelacked. It wil be like the good old days.
Old 05/20/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

i did see him giving high five to the fans and his team mates too. just think those are the hands that tuck his children in at night. the hands that feeds his dog, mans best friend. sosa a is girl, i cant beleive he is going on the d.l. for a hard sneeze. sammy does your sister play.......i wonder if sammy's wife is aware he is wearing her underwear.
Old 05/20/2004, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Dude, for once I am going to agree with you, the cubs management are letting these babies get away with extra vacation time. When i think of what football players play with, broken bones, etc. they guys are wimps. If the pitchers are extra strong in september and october then thats cool, but get these batters out there and lets get some runs!
Old 05/21/2004, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

if you want todd walker on the all-star team as a second baseman, you will have to add him on the ballet. please go to www.chicagocubs.com, and vote. i did not and will not vote for susan sosa. cubs picked up a good shortstop that may not be done in the big leagues yet. rey o. who used to be with the mets.
Old 05/23/2004, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Had a great time at Wrigley Field on Saturday, watching the cubs pour it on over the Cards. Hey Glen, what are you talking about getting a new SS, Ordoneze? I heard they have been scouting Rich Aurilia in Seattle, but the cubs deney any interest.
Old 05/24/2004, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

THEY SIGNED ORDONEZE TO A TRIPLE A DEAL LAST WEEK. GO TO WWW.CHICAGOCUBS.COM. THERE IS AN ARTICLE ON THE ADDITION TO THE TEAM. I AM ASKING ALL CUB FANS TO WRITE IN TODD WALKER ON THE ALL STAR BALLET. I AM GLAD TO HERE YOU HAD A GOOD TIME IN WRIGLEYVILLE. DID YOU SEE ANY CRAZY THINGS WHILE YOU WHERE THERE. THE BEST TIME I EVER HAD IN WRIGLEYVILLE WAS IN THE BLEACHER SEATS. THAT IS A CRAZY SHOW. WHERE DID BOB GO.....CAN HE NOT KEEP UP WITH THE TRUE CUBBIE FANS.....I WAS GLAD TO SEE THE CUBS WIN THE SERIES WITH THE CARDS. THAT IS A BIG STEP WITH THE INJURIES THEY HAVE HAD THIS YEAR. NOW ONLY TO HANDLE THE ASTRO'S. I HAVE NOTICED WE DO NOT GET THE CARDINAL FANS ON HERE ANYMORE. DONT FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE CUBBIE PLAYERS FOR THE ALLSTAR GAME.
Old 05/24/2004, 04:39 PM
Moved On

Glen, would that include your favorite, Susan Sousa? BTW, has the season really begun? Bob
Old 05/25/2004, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

the season began when they played the first game. i do think that susan sosa should cowboy up, and not be a girl about a little sneeze. soreness does not keep a true warrior or athelte for performing his duties. the players in the nfl play with pain or soreness every week. three more weeks for wood, i think there is more than a tricep injury. all in all the cubs are holding the fort very well considering all the players on the d.l. sosa is staring in a new movie "pretty in pink". steriod sammy is braking down with injuries. note to sammy, the juice will kill you, or break that body down after a few years. yes bob, i know all home run hitters in todays era, have little help from the syringe. someone ought to tell sammy that "one a day" is a vitamin, not anadrol 50.....ha

glen
Old 05/25/2004, 11:37 AM
Moved On

WOW, Glen It's a good thing that Barry only uses Centrum-silver Actually, Glen, I've had patients herniate a disc with a hard squeeze. Bob
Old 05/25/2004, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

when they show sammy's medical report on espn, i will beleive he is hurt with a sneeze. bonds only claims he only uses centrum-silver. i think when the ball hit sammy in the head, it knocked something loose. i dont blame a guy that will do anything to win, or be his best, just do not lie about it. i read where merker is on the d.l. now. i think in a few days the whole 25 man roster will be on the d.l. hey bob, can alou make you a salad.....ha.... i do love the cubs, but i would hate to be the person that had to put up with the bullcrab excuses that these guys come up with not to play.
Old 05/25/2004, 06:51 PM
Moved On

Glen, thnx. for the chuckles Bob
Old 05/25/2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

LOL

I totally agree, guys in the NFL play with broken bones, these dudes need to sack up. I do like the idea of a fresh wood and prior blowing away hitters in october. HEhe thats funny, fresh wood. There was an article in the trib today thinking back to 85 when the cubs lost all four starters to the DL and also several fielders. They were suposed to go to the WS. I like seeing the team fight through it though, it will be much more enjoyable when they have to come back to win it all. they will. Go CUBS!
Old 05/26/2004, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

bob,

are the people your treating high performance sports figures, or they people who do not work out, eat right, and have jobs that are very physical in nature. these guys are physically demanding on there body, so therefore they should take measures for the abuse they put there body thru. off season workouts, in season workouts, proper balanced meals, stamina, indurance, and most of all good sleep habits. i will almost bet that sammy does not take care of his body the way he should.....these guys stop working for the common goal of playing everyday when they get to the top, i.e. ken griffey, frank thomas, susan sosa.....this guy should not be seeing the d.l. because he sneezed to hard. i am going to ask you bob, when the season begins, when the cubs miss the playoffs by one or two games. every game is important.....the players know what they are up against, susan is getting paid millions to preform and take care of his body. susan is a let down to the fans 50% of the time, he is terrible in the outfield, and struggles with the stick from time to time.....sammy needs to be a d.h. in the american league. i would like to put todd hollensworth's numbers against sammy's during the time sammy is wearing his pretty pink panties. hollensworth is a better outfielder than susan. note to susan, tuck your stringe in and play.....go cubs
Old 05/26/2004, 12:07 PM
Moved On

Good points, but are you sure that outfield fly-ball didn't hit you on the head? BTW, herniated disc can happen in well-trained athletes. The disc capsule is not composed of skeletal muscule Bob
Old 05/26/2004, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

bob,

i spent six years in the minors, and 12 days at the show with baltimore. i know the ins and outs of the club house, and what players will do to get ahead in the game. i have done the same things, because i would have traded years off my life for a career in the show. that is a ball players attitued. i have never heard of a player using a sneeze to get on the d.l. i always wanted to stay in the game, no matter what the injury, or how bad the pain. in fielding several thousand fly balls did i ever misjudge a play to where it hit me in the head. i not saying i never got burnt on a fly ball, but never hit in the head. i have it the long ball, i know what it takes to do it day in and day out. sammy was an average ball player at best in texas, and with the white sox. at each level there is a great deal of diverance in pitching, and games played. you have to do thing to keep up, or you will six years and out, just like i was. i have had the injuries that will end any career, i can honostely say the injuries came because i didnt take care of my body like i should have. the parties, the girls, the staying up all night, tobacco, and the beer drinking well catch you one day. they all do it, in some sort or fashion. so i know there is a underneath side to the d.l.
Old 05/26/2004, 03:04 PM
Moved On

Glen, I didn't see that particular play, but I have seen it happen several X's thru the yrs. In the early part of the season & in Sept. at Wrigley the sun is not hi in the sky, coupled with the swirling winds in RF, believe me, it happens. Now Susan could have had his eye on the mini-skirt in right Bob
Old 05/28/2004, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

susan had his eye on his own mini skirt. the steps to playing a good outfield position are the following. knowing the pitch count, how many runners on base, how many outs, and what are the goals of your opposition. you should also know the strenghts, and weakness of every hitter on the team....there called scouting reports. at the crack of the bat, an outfield is supposed to take three steps back, then adjust to the angle and depth of the ball in flight. if you play the game long enough, you will know by the sound of the crack of bat, and you will know how well the ball has been hit. the only outfielder that gets hit in the head by a flyball, are outfielders that do not need to be out there, jose canseco, dion sanders, susan sosa, and so on.....they are not good outfielders. if susan was a great outfielder, he would not be in right field....he is just there for the stick, and the stick only, when it is not corked, or when he decides to bring it to the park that day. the only time a ball should ever get by you, is when it is hit off the wall, or on a line in the gap. other than that the ball is to be played to keep it in front of you, and hit the cut off, unless you have a cannon. no ifs, no butts, that is the goal of an outfielder.....the end....taking a ball in the dome, is not only an error, it is a huge mental mistake that i would think hurts really bad....in all the years i played the game, at every level, i never ever tried to catch a ball in the dome. only dogs catch balls with there mouth that is apart of there head.
Old 05/28/2004, 12:14 PM
Moved On

Oh come on, Glen, RF in Wrigley is tuff--now I could play LF in Wrigley It might take some yrs. off Patterson's career, tho Bob
Old 05/28/2004, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

O.K. it's prediction time. Not withstanding any more major injuries...

The Cubs will get to full strength and by the end of July will have a 6-8 game lead in the central and not look back.

Hendry will make a move before the trade deadline, either to boster the bullpen, my bet is a closer on a one year contract; or to get a leadoff hitter, my bet is a shortstop with speed; or to replace an injured patterson they give a Mr. Lofton a call.

Wendel Kim waves home the tying run in the NLCS, then waves the next runner into an out. Borowski comes on in the tied game and Lee doubles home the winning run to give him the win.

After a tough series between the Yanks/Angels, the Cubs meet the winer in the WS.....