Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Ed,

I tried ATI Blue plus with the UVL super actinics T5's and 14k spectrum Hamilton DE in the past and the color was great. I'm about to replace my new T5's bulbs in my fixture because I don't like the color.
The UVL super actinics is a bit purple IMO but with the conjunction of blue plus....great combo!
Old 07/16/2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ntyzn229
Ed,

I tried ATI Blue plus with the UVL super actinics T5's and 14k spectrum Hamilton DE in the past and the color was great. I'm about to replace my new T5's bulbs in my fixture because I don't like the color.
The UVL super actinics is a bit purple IMO but with the conjunction of blue plus....great combo!
Ah ok. Well the Giesemann Super Actinics arent purple at all. They do make the corals fluoresce, but not as strong as it did when I had 2 VHO's in my past tank with the URI's. Im not sure if they make the 60" UVL Super Actinics? I may try one months from now.
Old 07/16/2007, 11:56 AM
TRC Leader

Regarding lighting, I just wanted to drop in some of my own personal experiences, if you don't mind. I've been running a 20,000K XM 400w bulb over my tank for some time now, and love the look. Maybe 2 years now. Here's a picture. My Hippo Tangs kept splashing it and bulb after bulb was replaced. That got expensive, and I went through my stash. I'm currently using a 15000K XM which is only because I have it (and one more after this one) but I don't really like the look. I also have four or five Radiums to use, which seems to be as good as the 20,000K bulb although they just label it as "BLUE" on the bulb.

When I ran T5 actinics years ago, I thought they were nice, but they simply did not come close to what VHO actinics produce. I know VHOs use double the wattage, but the lighting is better to my eye. As Invincible stated it the post above, his corals looked better under VHO vs under T5s. I've had the same experience. I love looking at my tank during the final 35 minutes of the lighting schedule when only the VHOs are on. The reef's colors pop!
Old 07/16/2007, 12:31 PM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Hi Edward,
Thanks for the kind words mate! Have you given any thought to the KZ Fiji Purple bulbs? I found them in combination with the Giesemann Pure Actinic gave a strong colour “pop” in my Acropora. JMO.

Cheers

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:13 PM

and I love the Ushio 20K lamps. They are all I use and the corals love them.
Old 07/16/2007, 04:55 PM

Marc, great picture! Do you get a better spread with the lights perpendicular because of the reflector or the way the bulb is aimed (front to back instead of side to side). Are your Radiums 400 or 250w?

Josh, I heard about the purple KZ's. Do they sell them in 60"?

jnarowe, do you have a pic of the 20k Ushio? Im looking for a very deep blue 20k.
Old 07/16/2007, 04:59 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, the light spread is better with the reflectors perpendicular, but I'm looking at possibly switching to Luminarc III Minis instead, of I can get the VHOs to fit as well. I'd really like to spear them through the reflectors but others in that thread thought it was a bad idea.

The Radiums are 400w.
Old 07/16/2007, 05:06 PM

Old 07/16/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I find the Giesemann T5 Pure Actinics look more like full spectrum bulbs, and the Actinic Plus look too violet. The Pure Actinics illuminate the tank too much, and you lose the twilight effect. This is based on 4 x 39 watt lamps over a 200 gallon tank (6' x 2' footprint).

The Aqua-Medic T5 actinics give a much more aesthetically pleasing blue colour, but they aren't true actinics like the "Pure Actinics" are. The AM actinics give you that relaxing twilight effect.
Old 07/16/2007, 08:18 PM

jnarowe, Thats very blue and such a big tank!!! It's going to take you many years to finish adding corals to that tank.

mr. wilson, so which is the best actinic bulb that does give you the blue/green pop and are true actinics?
Old 07/16/2007, 08:29 PM

tanks are like yachts...there's always someone with a bigger one! It's a little bluer in photographs, but every single reefer that has viewed my tank has really liked the color.
Old 07/16/2007, 11:18 PM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Josh, I heard about the purple KZ's. Do they sell them in 60"?
Here you go:
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/de/shop...rple-80-w.html

From all the bulbs I have run, this is by far my favourite for colour.
HTH

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 07/16/2007, 11:24 PM
clownfish fan

i just switched from ushio 20k to pheonix 14k. the ushio is much deeper blue.
Old 07/17/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Edward, I love the Radiums. They are my favorite bulbs. I liked running them on a HQI ballast. Now I have the IC's so I think it will be slightly bluer but I don't know by how much. And you always get such great color w/ the radiums. Problem w/ the radiums is the life of the bulb and I like the dawn-dusk effect of a actinic. I liked the URI-VHO's the best. I have'nt found a T-5 that is comparable. Of course I have'nt looked much either . Also I have heard great things about the Aqua connect 14k bulbs. How long do they usually last? These are the kind of decisions that make me mental .

Chad
Old 07/17/2007, 01:44 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Edward,

I'm getting a headache everytime I think of which lighting combos to get to replace my current bulb combos...definetly I will change it soon as I am so annoyed by the color it emits!!! I do like the ATI blue+ though for supplementation.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 07/17/2007, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
mr. wilson, so which is the best actinic bulb that does give you the blue/green pop and are true actinics?
At this point in time there doesn't appear to be one.

I go with aesthetics and use the Aqua-Medic "blue" T5 bulb. It isn't a true actinic, but I get enough 400-500 nm light out of the metal halides as it stands.

I usually use MHL exclusively, but in the case where a dawn and dusk effect is desired, actinic T5's come in handy. Alternatively, I use blue LED's for the twilight effect. I like the rays of light and eerie effect.

in the case of MHL exclusive applications, I use a separate timer for each MHL bulb. They are timed to come on and off half an hour apart. I start with the bulbs to the "east" and end with the bulbs to the "west". It simulates a sunrise and sunset, but it lacks the black-light poster effect of lunar LED's or blue actinics.

As far as VHO goes, Coralife "actinics" have a very blue colour, but they are by no means true actinics. I prefer the low profile, cooler burning, smaller ballast, energy efficiency and longer life of T5 technology.

Philips developed both (true) actinic lighting, and T5 technology. I'm surprised they haven't combined the two yet.

It's only a matter of time before compact MHL like the Osram Powerball (the new generation of the old Powerstar) will be available in 20,000K and "blue" versions. A combination of high wattage 20,000 K's mixed with lower watt MHL blue bulbs would give the best of both worlds.

For now, we'll waste our money simultaneously pursuing T5, VHO, MHL, and LED.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:46 AM

I have the aqua-medic T5 lamps on my grow out tank and when combined with 10Ks, it looks very good to me. On my display I use only the Ushio SE 1000W 20Ks, and then switch to coralife blue LEDs for night viewing. I have them mounted toward the front of the tank so there are plenty of dark areas for fish to relax in. When my lights go out, the fish all but disappear into the rockwork. Its a bit strange for those not used to it, because the reef appears to have no fish in it at night, other than an occassional scout.
Old 07/21/2007, 01:56 PM

There's a new roommate in town!

Old 07/21/2007, 02:05 PM
The only GreenMako

Great shot and beautiful fish!

300Gal SPS tank
Old 07/21/2007, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Love how you caught the shot under the spot!
Old 07/21/2007, 03:06 PM

Brian, thank you. I was looking for your personal email in my Outlook, but couldnt find it so I can show you pictures of AE's place. Anyhow, all i wanted to say is check out my BLOG for those pics. You will be amazed of how nice of a LFS it is knowing you bought a quality tank from the owner of AGE who built your tank. Tommy also built that rimless bowfront you see on my journal.

Bill, whats funny is that I got this idea from my 3 yr old! LOL. She wanted to use my camera to take pictures and since kids love to copy their parents, she was taking pics of my tank. And dont forget, a 3 yr old is short so the shots are taken low. Well, i uploaded those pics from my camera and saw the cool water surface line and figured I would take some shots of the pyramid butterfly this way. Sure enough it turned out amazing.
Old 07/21/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Great fish!! This tank just keeps getting better.
Old 07/21/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Looks great Edward, Did you get this one from LA? I see the Bellus is doing well and the stag island is coloring up nicely

Take Care,

Chad
Old 07/21/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Wow!

Quite an enjoyable read. I like that you are choosing to chart a more challenging course. I like your thinking about lights (and can't wait to know fixtures you are using to house the spots). Your fish are stunning, as are your corals. The aquascaping is simple and stunning.

Although not officially a member of the "rimless" club, I do enjoy my braceless tanks. I have been a fan of the "unviewed side" for a long time, tending to display my tank a lot lower than many would find ideal; the bottom of my 28" deep 75g is only 26" off the floor. Looking down on the tank is a view often under-apprecitated, in my experience.

I especially appreciate the aesthetic appeal that your tank provides. It is a joy to see a tank with multiple viewable sides that looks appropriate for the room that houses it. It is a primary goal for me as I prepare to move.

Thank you, again, for choosing to share!
Old 07/22/2007, 12:11 AM
clownfish fan

Ed im really impressed with your blog, great read. the butterfly is very nice.

what i am really impressed with is your coloration especially the nepthea ive never witnessed a color shift like that in a soft coral, especially in such a short a time period. Kudos.