Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Jeweled Moray Eel

I have 2 questions about a jeweled moray eel...

Can a it be taught to eat out of hands?

Also what fish would be compatable with it?

Thanks for your answers
Old 05/20/2007, 06:57 PM
Keeper of Sharks

It, most likely, will not learn to eat out of your hands. They will bite and shred your hand to pieces because of their extremely aggressive nature.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 05/20/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

+1 on the hand shredder. if you want an eel to eat outta your hands, go with a snowflake, zebra, or ghost eel. less risky.
Old 05/20/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

The guy i bought my whitemouth from hand feeds his HDM. Talk about scary.
Old 05/28/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

what's HDM?
Old 05/28/2007, 11:39 PM
Zoanthid proper

No hand feeding ANY eel. Even if its small it can still give a nasty bite and or infection.
Old 05/29/2007, 10:21 AM
Keeper of Sharks

HDM = Hawaiin Dragon Moray

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 05/29/2007, 10:25 AM
Art and science

I feed my jeweled moray with feeder tongs he's really not that aggressive I've had him for 3 or 4 years so he's been with everything from butterflyfish to the queen trigger he's tankmates with now
Old 05/29/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

I have kept many types of eels...Hawaiian Dragon, Green Morays, Tesselata, Kidako, Brazilian Dragon, etc. Almost all of them learned to take food right from my hand.

In the 5 or so years I have kept eels, I was only bitten once by a Green Moray. I was feeding with my right hand and I barely had my left in the water. I guess my finger looked like a shrimp and you know the rest.

Anyhow, I always feed from a small white bucket and over time my fish learn that when I aproach the tank with a small white bucket it's feeding time. If I stick my hands in the tank without showing the bucket, they could care less about me.

Am I saying it's the best practice, probably not. But if you are careful it can be done. Anyway, it's safer than picking up and playing with my reef stonefish...but that'll be a different post!
Old 06/02/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by espo72
I have kept many types of eels...Hawaiian Dragon, Green Morays, Tesselata, Kidako, Brazilian Dragon, etc. Almost all of them learned to take food right from my hand.
not to steal this thread (apologies), but would you be able to share some of your experiences keeping these eels. i have not been able to find much info on DM's, and Kidako's. i've gathered (aside from the other generalities that apply in the wild)that they are fairly hardy, don't enjoy too much flow, need plenty of hiding spots, and don't always take food when acclimating. any