Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

House Bug Bombs, Do they kill tanks?

I was planning on releasing a Bug Bomb in my house to keep the spiders and other bugs under control for the summer; however, I was wondering if the chemical will get into my tank and kill my reef?

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure if the chemical will be able to get into the water.

If not I may just let one off in the garage.

Thanks,
Old 05/15/2007, 09:59 AM
I like the way you talk.

It will get into the water and kill everything. If you set it off in the garage, it still most likely will do so as the vapors will get into the house. (Unless it's not an attatched garage.)
I wouldn't do it at all. You're better of spot treating with a liquid insecticide, and then still use sparingly and carefully.
Or you could get a bunch of lizards and turn them loose in the house LOL.
Old 05/15/2007, 10:04 AM
Team RC Member

If you don't have cats, get a house gecko. He'll hunt the blighters down, live on your ceiling, and appreciate a little fresh water and a lid of grape jam now and again.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/15/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks - I assumed that would be the case. It is an attached garage.

I may just wait and see about the bugs - we never have had any trouble (the house was built three years ago), but then again before the tank we used to bomb the house every spring and fall pretty thourghly
Old 05/15/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

sorry can't spell - Thoroughly
Old 05/15/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
If you don't have cats, get a house gecko. He'll hunt the blighters down, live on your ceiling, and appreciate a little fresh water and a lid of grape jam now and again.
Very effective solution. We used one in the lFS i worked in to catch crickets that got loose. Every once in while we'd see him scurry out from behind something, grab a cricket and run away. Very cool little creatures.
Old 05/15/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

i used several in an apartment to kill flees....coverd the tank with several large blankets/turned off the skimmer/lights...set them off and got out...killed the flees.....nothing in the tank
Old 05/15/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Do you trade bugs for gecko pee?

Plenty of people have bombed their house here on RC with a tank. It takes a lot of work to isolate the tank and keep positive pressure inside the system to keep the poison out.

FWIW I would hire the orkin man to walk around the house and take care of it that way. Unless you have flees a bug bomb is too much work and too much risk in my book.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 05/16/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I had to bomb once at my old home. I turned off everything except the pump and wrapped the entire tank with plastic sheathing and blankets. When I got home I aired out the house and removed the covering from the tank. Everything was fine. If you decide to bomb, make sure that the back of your canopy is covered also so the poison won't get into the sump.

The other posters had some good ideas also.

If you have any pilot lights (house heater, water heater etc., MAKE SURE YOU TURN THEM OFF BEFORE YOU START BOMBING