Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2007, 11:21 PM
Original Zen Cube

Haha thanks Rich. The whole city is kinda bummed...
My plan is to control the gsp growth with a razor blade. Because it is just on the glass it should be really easy to trim the edges and peel it right off.

mikey,
Actually it is only a cb550 - the 750 is much more of a collectors piece but a 550 like this was the first bike I ever owned - I was 14 years old and my dad got it for me. I went with this one for sentimental reasons...

Cheers,

_ Chad
Old 04/25/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

that tank is awesome. great capture on the zoos under the actinics
Old 04/25/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

I think the reason t-5 are gaining to much success is because of all the diffent color temperatures you can put it one fixture. It seems like people's reports of corals growing better is due to an artificial spectrum that is more closely matching that of the sun (due to all the different bulbs). If only they shimmered like halides.............

I think the mesh wheel ideal may be more efficient, but from my understanding you have to cut up the impellar to do it. (I dont have a spare, so I am not planning on trying it yet)

I have gotten some good infro from that thread, the most useful being to keep the pump intake about 2 inches from the surface of the water. Also make sure the venturi plastic piece is on the pump really tight - it make a difference in bubble production. I am going to try one more mod and I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

Lastly, any ideas on the aquascaping yet? Stile2 has a tank set up like yours (pennisula style) and he did some cool aquascaping (large slope and little mountain. Check it out about halfway down the page:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=25

Keep up the good work.
Old 04/25/2007, 05:51 PM
Original Zen Cube

Thanks for the tips... I think my pump intake is about 4" below the surface right now. Will have to check it.

And yes, that aquascaping is a nice example. I think that is the general shape I am going to try for.

- Chad
Old 05/14/2007, 06:57 PM
Original Zen Cube

Well, sorry that I have been away for a while. Here are some recent photos of the tank. I have added some zoanthids and some rics and a pair of clowns. I think that the clowns will be the only fish I put in this tank - now to build it up with some more nice softies.

FTS (please excuse the diatoms on the bottom pane, I haven't cleaned the glass in a while - but there's some coraline growth there too):

blurry photo of the clowns - at least the rics were standing still:

This is the same zoo colony I posted before but I wanted to show how much the palys have colored up. This pic doesn't even do it justice - the skirts are an fluorescent green even under the daylight bulbs. I have never had a coral this bright before - I wish I could get the camera settings right so you could see what I mean:

- Chad
Old 05/14/2007, 07:24 PM
Enjoying Life

What does the shrimp think of your clowns?
Old 05/14/2007, 07:32 PM
Original Zen Cube

Dave,
Sorry I didn't realize that it has been that long since I posted. I am sad to announce that shortly after I got the mantis it died.

He was doing awesome but started to get kinda dull looking like he was going to molt. One morning I went down and sure enough, he had molted... but he was dead.
That was quite a setback and I have decided that I will take a break from mantids for a while.
I intend for the clowns to be my only fish. I want the tank to be nice and clean and stable and I am shooting for low stocking levels.

- Chad
Old 05/14/2007, 08:48 PM

killer tank dude.
Old 05/14/2007, 10:16 PM
Original Zen Cube

Thanks bro!
Old 05/14/2007, 10:25 PM
Unregistered Member

Sorry to hear about the mantis, but on the other hand the tank is looking great.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 05/22/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

How many gallons is this tank?
Old 05/22/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Those are nice size zoa colonies. Are you planning on adding an anemone for those clowns?

Trying to learn everything about something and something about everything...
Old 05/22/2007, 05:59 PM
Original Zen Cube

Thanks for the interest guys
I have a few new photos that I am going to post in a little bit.

The tank is roughly 42gals. It is 30x18x18.

One of my zoo colonies is getting some crazy colors - it looks almost like they are giving off their own light and not just fluorescing anymore. I will see if it came through in the photos.

I don't plan on having an anemone in this tank. I don't want the extra burden of caring for it and I also don't want the risk of it stinging my other corals or blocking my overflow.

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 05/24/2007, 01:23 PM
Original Zen Cube

Some actinic shots:

Some of the zoos:

A clown and rics (a lot darker than in real life but I like it):

This is the most accurate picture I have been able to get of the fluorescence of the paly skirts - I've never had a coral that glowed this brightly:

It is tough to see in the photo but there are two different colors of zoos - most have blue centers but a few are solid green and a little brighter (look to the left of the highest palythoa). The solid green ones each have 4 bright yellow lines on them like the markers on a watch face - at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00. It is just a thin little line but it glows such a bright yellow that you would swear it is battery powered! I will try and get a closer picture but my camera SUCKS for macro shots. I have to be a few feet away for it to even focus.

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 05/27/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Tanks is looking better with each update you provide...
Old 07/06/2007, 02:13 PM
Unregistered Member

Any updates.

Old 07/06/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Chad,

Your first two setups were impeccable!! (FWIW - I'm "just" a newbie.) But love that you were able to achieve that look while keeping the "guts" out of site. Way to go!!

I can't wait to see the outcome on your newest project, and will be anxiously following along.

Trish
Old 07/06/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Hey Ninja, you gonna put a refug in that sump?
Old 07/06/2007, 05:05 PM
Original Zen Cube

Thanks guys!
I have turned the sump into a bit of a 'fuge with a couple pieces of LR and a ball of chaeto. It is still BB but my stocking list is really low and it makes for a nice tidy system. Will snap some pics.

Cheers
Old 07/06/2007, 06:25 PM
Unregistered Member

We'll be waiting.

Old 07/06/2007, 06:29 PM
Original Zen Cube

Here is a new zoo colony that I photographed a while ago. I will try and get a shot of the sump too.

Chad
Old 07/14/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful zoos Chad. The tank is coming along nicely!

Any new FTS?

Rich
Old 08/04/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

sweet
i no u said no anemonees in the tank ,but r u going to do the shrimp fuge like that other guy?
3. When you ara Santa
4. When you look like Santa