Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Is this fish nipping? Sad coral :(

So I've had this coral for a long time and it's had tunicates growing all over, a giant chunk that went white (don't know why) but it stopped and the coral was doing fine for 2+ months. Now it looks like it's been torn to shreds in less than a week... and its the side facing away from what I see so I didn't notice at all.

This thing still has full polyp extension during the day and the other side looks perfect. I can't see any little bugs on it or anything... I don't know what to do

Old 05/13/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Looks like you do have bugs....montipora eating nudibranches....the fuzzy white spots on it. Looks like a trail they left on it too. Do a search for "montipora eating nudibranches" and come back. Also, if you could get a closer pic it would be easier for 100% confirmation of nudis.
Old 05/13/2007, 08:26 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Without a doubt Monti Nudis.
Old 05/13/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Here is another thread just started...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1117529
Old 05/13/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
Looks like you do have bugs....montipora eating nudibranches....the fuzzy white spots on it. Looks like a trail they left on it too. Do a search for "montipora eating nudibranches" and come back. Also, if you could get a closer pic it would be easier for 100% confirmation of nudis.
I've had closer pics before (1+ month ago) and there were no visible bugs. The coral was completely fine for a long time but just started to have this happen this week.

Here is an older BIG pic:

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/77341270/original.jpg

Here's another (i thought the tunicates caused it before:

Old 05/13/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I just tried looking at the coral at night with a bright flashlight...

I don't see any nudibranchs at all. I can see little pods climbing around but not a single nudi in all the white spots or the uneaten parts. Can they hide inside it or something?
Old 05/13/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

ok i remmeber posting on this pic before and i remember that that large blob u have circled was a giant flatworm munching out on yoru coral now did you get rid of that flatworm and now there are more problems or not if not then thats your problem once again or you missed a piece of him and he regenerated and started eating again

Quote:
Originally posted by GuOD
I've had closer pics before (1+ month ago) and there were no visible bugs. The coral was completely fine for a long time but just started to have this happen this week.

Here is an older BIG pic:

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/77341270/original.jpg

Here's another (i thought the tunicates caused it before:

Old 05/13/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEFRHEAD
ok i remmeber posting on this pic before and i remember that that large blob u have circled was a giant flatworm munching out on yoru coral now did you get rid of that flatworm and now there are more problems or not if not then thats your problem once again or you missed a piece of him and he regenerated and started eating again
I tried mashing it up but it grew back - I posted again for an ID and got back that it was just a form of tunicates. I can't remember the exact species but the pictures matched perfectly.

Something else is at work here... maybe it's just invisble
Old 05/14/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member.

im in the same boat. All my parameters are good, all other corals doing great. But a few of my encrusting montis shows the same pattern of death like yours and no nudis to be found. I'm sure its stn, but I have to find the source of the problem. Might be overfeeding for me.
Old 05/14/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

ok whoever told you that it was a tunicate was wrong it is a huge flatworm and the best way to describe this to u is see all that white behind it??????? ya that was once colored and had polyps untill obviously that huge flatworm ate it.. and the best way to get it off would be blow it off whole and now that u mashed it up and it grew back it might be a few smaller ones you basically made your job worse. but it is eating your coral alive!!!!!!!!
Old 05/14/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

The first pic....the fuzzy white things are so blatantly obvious it is ridiculous....do you not see them?

BUMP...someone else has to see them besides me
Old 05/14/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The first pic....the fuzzy white things are so blatantly obvious it is ridiculous....do you not see them?

Are you talking about the white things on the right side?

I think those are little brown things (they have 2 thin white antenna sticking out) and they are just covered in some junk that floats around/algae.
Old 05/14/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Here are some closeups I took just now, maybe you see something I don't.

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/78805064/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/78805068/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/78805073/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/78805076/original.jpg

This last picture is another topic - I have a feather duster living in my acro (the white thing). Do I need to poke it out of the hole?

http://www.pbase.com/guod/image/78805080/original.jpg
Old 05/15/2007, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

No it IS a colonial tunicate and I and a few other KNOWLEDGEABLE reefers told him that. It is in no way shape or form at all 100% guaranteed or I will pay you a dollar for every percent I am wrong anything from the genus planarian.
Old 05/15/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

The last picture you posted is nothing but a coral barnacle and is completely harmless.

I tend to believe what you have going on could be any number of diseases SRN stress-related necrosis, white plague, or a sporozoan like Nematopsis have infected it.

To the people above who don't know what they are talking about please don't just aimlessly blurt out random garbage.

Whats most funny to me is people come on RC read a few threads and start to regurgitate something someone else said from another thread. All of a sudden they think they know it all and can tell everyone how to treat their corals.

Last edited by the_anti_honda; 05/15/2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05/15/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Serioussnaps-

I see what you are talking about in the picture first shown, but tend to believe those white spots are the same brown spots that we see protruding from the coral out of the water. At least I hope so if not that is a serious case of Nudi's.
Old 05/15/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

You know what I just thought of something else. Take the coral off the plug its on now and inspect the inside and show us what you find. It might have and infection we can see that way. If so we can go from there..
Old 05/15/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the_anti_honda
You know what I just thought of something else. Take the coral off the plug its on now and inspect the inside and show us what you find. It might have and infection we can see that way. If so we can go from there..
It definitely has flaps because pods will scurry inside when I take it out. I was considering the possibilty of something eating it from the inside but I don't know how to check.

As far as I know the coral is simply attached to a rock? The whole time I guess it has been something artificial??

Should I just yank it off the rock and look? The other side of the coral is showing a single spot now as well but the coral still has full PE etc.

Also - can these things harm me? I don't have any gloves and don't wanna get bitten by some weird thing!
Old 05/15/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Instead of just inspecting........I would get some Lugols or tropic marin pro coral cure and do a 15-22 minute dip with about 125% recommended dosage. See what that flushes out....it cant hurt.
Old 05/15/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Instead of just inspecting........I would get some Lugols or tropic marin pro coral cure and do a 15-22 minute dip with about 125% recommended dosage. See what that flushes out....it cant hurt.
Ok I will try to pick some of that stuff up tonight (if my LFS has it!)

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05/15/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

I would break it off the plug and also dip it. Unless its a ceramic plug or the frag comes in non-mounted I won't put it in my tank. I suggest the same for you now on.
Old 05/15/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

I didn't break it off because I don't know how I would re attach it nor do I have anything to reattach it to. I also don't have much choice because as far as I can tell all the corals that come in are attached to rocks like that.

Anyway, I did a dip in Kent loguls for 20 minutes.

I did 18oz aquarium water, 7 drops of iodine (125% of 40/gallon * 18/128) and all that fell off was about 6-7 dead pods. I didn't see anything else.
Old 05/16/2007, 07:05 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:

No you are not crazy. PLS get rid of the piece.
How is this coral so important that requires this much attention.
BTW i agree with the above statement regarding the regurgitation LOL.
Its just the way the hobby is this days Internet based-just like everything else.
BTW "I STAYED AT A HOLLIDAY INN LAST NIGHT"

Last edited by gasman059; 05/16/2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05/16/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

I would at least snap a healthy frag off and mount it to a different piece of LR an observe if the tissues stops dieing..
Old 05/16/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

How exactly would I mount it? I bought some epoxy the other day and tried to frag some GSP for my friend but it didn't stick at all. I can only imagine the difficult with an SPS.

I also don't want to toss this coral because it's one of my few SPS and I like the appearance of it. I'm going to look out tonight and see if I can find a worm on it (ie; coming out from the rock below or something).