Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/09/2007, 09:17 AM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Quote:
Originally posted by dcombs44
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfalcon41176

Here's a list of the same seller's items. EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE VERY RARE!!!!

I will say that his feedback is very good. It's just so hard to tell what's legit and what's not these days.

The pics of the frags look great, but I guess you'll never know until you try it out.
Seems like a standard mix of standard corals...
BUT THAT PAGE HURTS MY EYES.
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 05/09/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

I don't know these people but I did buy this frag off of them for a good price. It felt they were totally honest and would buy from them again. The frag looks better in my tank than it did in the picture. This auction doesn't interest me but it certainly doesn't put me off. I manage people who are typing notes into computers all day long. Some people like to use caps. Taking offense seem pretty silly to me. They've got a lot of sales and a lot of positive feedback. For all you conspiracy theorists you can check their feedback and see my user name in March.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05/09/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

thats very nice...

Their price on the RPE's and Purple Passion looks fair to me, if they are true clones of those sports, which i have no reason to believe otherwise.
Old 05/09/2007, 09:41 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by dcombs44
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfalcon41176

Here's a list of the same seller's items. EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE VERY RARE!!!!

I will say that his feedback is very good. It's just so hard to tell what's legit and what's not these days.

The pics of the frags look great, but I guess you'll never know until you try it out.
Interesting that much of the other items seem priced fairly resonable. And I've never seen this particular coral, so I guess it is "rare" to me also (but not rare enough to spend $70 on it).

Anyway, I kind of like the look of it. It's like the Rastafarian cousin of the other zoas
Old 05/09/2007, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kigs
i kinda like it. after staring at it some more, i like it. i want it. but not for 70 bucks, or 40 bucks. pfftt.

the dude seems to have a fairly good feedback though. at least he didn't label it 'uber rare australian migrated to japan aiptasia.' he labeled it correctly under the zoa family... just a weird price :P
Rare or not, I still just cannot see why someone would even consider buying one at all (much less for $70!) when it DOES look so much like Aiptasia.
Old 05/09/2007, 10:57 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Well it's been established in this thread that the seller is not trying to pass off aptasia as a valuable polyp, so why is this thread then continuing. There are plenty of corals that people, IMHO, spend WAY too much money on, or ask way too much money for. But that's all personal opinion/comfort level. This situation is no different.

So what, the guy gave it a fancy name to make a rather unattractive coral more appealing. Standard operating procedure nowadays, from what I see.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)

Last edited by SDguy; 05/09/2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05/09/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Well it's been established in this thread that the seller is not trying to pass off aptasia as a valuable polyp, so why is this thread then continuing. There are plenty of corals that people, IMHO, spend WAY too much money on, or ask way too much money for. But that's all personal opinion/comfort level. This situation is no different.

So what, the guy gave it a fancy name to make a rather unattractive coral more appealing. Standard operating procedure nowadays, from what I see.
It gives me something other to do than work
Old 05/09/2007, 12:15 PM
clams are your friends.

I certainly hope the guy didn't take my personal opinion of these particular polyps as a personal attack against him or the other corals he sells. I didn't call him a "scammer" or make personal attacks on him (although the price is incredibly inflated in light of what I've seen them sold for in the past). After all, I seriously doubt he personally "created" them and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who disagree with my opinion about them, but just because something is rare it doesn't automatically make it desirable or "pretty." Some things are just "rare" because they are so damn ugly there is no demand for them. On the other hand, there are a lot of very popular corals that I personally wouldn't waste space in my tank with. All personal taste.

That being said, the ALL CAPS issue is incredibly annoying and I make no apologies for calling him out on that. It is used for periodic emphasis in normal written conversation, but entire posts in all caps is indicative of YELLING. The only thing worse than all caps is people who don't use periods. That makes a person sound like a babbling 2 year old. Combine the two and and I want to send the person to their room for a Time Out.
Old 05/09/2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
The only thing worse than all caps is people who don't use periods. That makes a person sound like a babbling 2 year old. Combine the two and and I want to send the person to their room for a Time Out.

Old 05/09/2007, 07:32 PM
Moved On

it felt like an attack but you guys chilled out.so now i will speak. sanjay and many other respected reefers from reef central have alot of corals in there tank from me. i know they dont look like aptasia. you have to see them in person . they are nice. not alot of color nut it was the skirts that make them nice.that was what i was trying to say was. dont start threads and jump to conclusion. and it should not matter about caps. on or off it should not matter it is the way words are used that give them power. i am well respected in my area, and all over. alot of people on reefcentral own my rainbow monti and superman, you should see the acan that sanjay got from me, i strive to collect the nicest corals and i care about them. i am not a chop shop. i love my display tank. but its nice to see people start to understand, what they were saying was nasty and the stupid jokes. i am not petty about things such as caps who knnows somebody could have been leaving the house and wrighting a quick email and forgot to turn there caps off. hope you guys learn to do your homework before you do this to somebody else. yes i did lie about who i was but look how you guys were acting. thanks josh
Old 05/09/2007, 07:58 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

So now you are the seller and not the friend of the seller??
Old 05/09/2007, 08:25 PM
Moved On

thats what i said. just tired of the bashing on here for no reason.
Old 05/09/2007, 08:30 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

There you go, he came clean so let the thread die.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 05/09/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Its the all caps, and saying that you are someone your not when it's quite obvious, thats what caused you to get bashed.

Yes it does make a difference with the all caps as explained several times in this thread.

Regardless of the quality of coral that you send out, this one sure looks like a gimmick at that price.....
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 05/09/2007, 08:41 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
Its the all caps, and saying that you are someone your not when it's quite obvious, thats what caused you to get bashed.

Yes it does make a difference with the all caps as explained several times in this thread.

Regardless of the quality of coral that you send out, this one sure looks like a gimmick at that price.....

see this is what i mean .moderator please remove my profile from this forum.
Old 05/09/2007, 08:42 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by acroman76
the bashing started before i even posted. you might to want to reread.
Old 05/09/2007, 10:22 PM
Addicted to the Reef

dont leave acro .

looks like you have some cool stuff. and seem to know what your doin

im sure you know how many times people sold aiptasia as "polyp rock" to newbs

that being said.. its still an ugly coral O_O

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 05/09/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

You did take some serious bashing. I rather like the looks of the corals, I fail to see how people thought they were aiptaisia. That being said I've never paid 70 bucks for anything that is alive in my tank so they were a bit out of my price.

Develop a thick skin and don't be baited by people who just want something to talk about.
Old 05/09/2007, 11:14 PM

I think brown corals can be cool....purple is boring...look just like my coraline

Old 05/10/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Seriously, acro, don't leave, but, on the same token, you do need to grow a thicker skin, especially if you are going to be sellling things in quantity. There is ALWAYS going to be someone who's unhappy with a sale or a product and who are going to take it out on you either through snide remarks, comments, etc. Don't believe me, check out the "Dumbest things you've heard in an LFS" thread.

I'm not really one to talk about growing a thicker skin, though, because sometimes, customers just found my button and pushed it, irking me to no end (like a gentleman who called me a b-tch, or another who put his hand on my and called me "Sweetie" when threatening to sue the store) When that happened, I had to go outside and have five minutes of quiet so I didn't take it out on the next customer. If that's what you have to do before responding to a thread like this, do it.

Think about it. You yourself could have easily ended the bashing by coming forth and saying something like, "Oh, no, that's not aiptasia. I'm the vendor, and I assure you that's Acrozoanthus Stick Polyps or Tree Polyps. Sorry about the confusion over the common name, but, y'know, that's why we have scientific names, afterall." Afterall, it takes all of five minutes to calm down, but fifteen minutes to feel smug about proving someone wrong.
Old 05/10/2007, 10:01 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
it felt like an attack but you guys chilled out.so now i will speak...
Hmmm...someone posted a link to an Ebay item and a bunch of people were HIGHLY sceptical of it...doesn't this happen every day on RC??

Welcome to just another day!
Old 05/10/2007, 10:24 AM
Slightly Obsessed

Actually, man, I really liked the look of the coral. I don't know why people think it's ugly. Guess the same people who think something has to be fluorescent something to be pretty :-))

Don't leave the forum. Stick it to the haters by staying and continuing to sell and proving that you offer good service and solid products. You can even send me a free frag and I'll vouch for the quality :-))
Old 05/10/2007, 10:25 AM
Slightly Obsessed

As a side note, I think it's ok (and a good practice) to be skeptical and question the accuracy of an item up for sale somewhere. But some people find it necessary to be rude, which isn't acceptable in any case.
Old 05/10/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
dude I just told it like it is.......

You got bashed for the reason I posted. Your coral got bashed because its two polyps for $70. Really though, who said something to make you want to leave. Calm down dude.

You had to know trying to push those polyps off for 35 bucks a polyp is a rip off. It simply is. I mean come on.

You could have left it alone but you posted in the thread and drew attention to yourself to try and justify the auction, so why get involved if you can't take the heat? It had to be expected.

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
some people find it necessary to be rude, which isn't acceptable in any case.
I agree. Rude is uncalled for. Being blunt is not being rude.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 05/10/2007, 12:18 PM
clams are your friends.

Hey Acroman, I'm sure you're an expert aquarist with some beautiful things I'd love to have in my tank. I no way did I intend my comments to be a bash against you personally or your business. I was simply stating my personal opinion and knowledge of the polyps after someone posted the link asking if they were aptasia. I thought it was funny and was trying to make light of it. I personally don't find them attractive but as I said in my post, there are probably plenty of people who do and you are free to charge whatever you can get for them. I have no problem with people in the business of selling aquarium livestock for as much profit as they can get. I know it ain't an easy living and if it weren't for them we'd all be staring at bloated goldfish in a bowl.

Regarding the all caps issue-- I did give you some well justified ribbing for it, but it was done with sarcastic humor, not bitter vitriol. Sorry if it came off the wrong way. After all, at least you used periods! haha....

Hope you come back around to visit with all of us who spend every free minute at work cruising the boards here. We're always learning and sharing what we know (and don't) and its always good for a laugh from time to time.