Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2007, 05:15 AM
Registered Member

Giving Up on the Hobby

I think im going to give up. I barely have the time or funds to make sure my babies will survive. After my huge nitrate spike and mini cycles, i dont know what to do anymore.

So Ill offer up my system, which will include everything and will not break it up. If no one is willing to buy it, I guess Ill try to stick it out, but keep in mind I WILL NOT BREAK THIS UP FOR ANYTHING.

Tank: 20gR Tru-Vu drilled for 1 1/2" bulkhead and 1" return
Sump: 20g glass with 1 quarter baffle.
Return Pump: Mag 5 - 1 month used
Lighting: 150w 24" sunpod bulb used 3 months
Rocks: 25-30# LR
Sand: 40lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive
Inverts: 2 Skunk Cleaners, various CUC
Fish: Healthy Mandarin, Black Sailfin Blenny
Corals: 15 different rare morphs of zoas valued in the range of 600 dollars, 1 rainbow ricordia florida.

Im asking $700 for the entire setup and will include heaters, misc pumps, test kits, stand, salt, buckets, just about everything you need to maintain this thing.

again I WILL NOT BREAK THIS UP.

PM all offers, bump when you PM
Old 05/05/2007, 07:44 AM
Reef Cowboy

Sad day.
Old 05/05/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Sad to see. But i have foundit is so much easier to sell whne you break it down and you usally get more money in the long run.

If for some reason you cant sell and do break up. I would be interested in the rainbow Ric
Old 05/05/2007, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

djscribz,

I totally understand your frustration because I been through the same thing. Most of us have been in your shoes at least once. From what I can gather from your recent post "High Nitrate Help", your nitrate problem is relatively new. Remember, you're relative new to the hobby, and you will face challenges. But none of these challenges are insurmountable. You seem like you haven't fully decided to give up yet. Give yourself a month, and see how things can change. In a month - my tank went from a death tank, to one where things are starting to grow back! Yes - due to nitrate problems. I am still trying to figure out the exact cause, but I am temporarily bandaging the problem with larger water changes.

With a relatively small tank, I would take your fish out and put them temporarily into a small tank (or bowl). Then do a 100% water change on the tank. Then slowly acclimate your fish back to your new tank. The work on finding the source of your problem, but in the meantime, just do larger water changes.

Follow the advice in the "High Nitrate Help" thread. I would start by changing the food that you are feeding your tank. What's the purpose of using CoralAccel? 10mL daily seems like a lot for such a small tank. Most corals do not need to be fed - they can get enough from light and what you fed the fish. The sinking pellets are probably also another big contributor to your nitrate problem. I wouldn't be surprise if most of your food are being uneaten and turning into nitrate. I would change the food to frozen mysis or similar food.

I don't know if you have access to an RODI system, mixing pumps, heaters and a large garbage can for making and mixing water. If you need to borrow these items, you can borrow for a few days for your water change. I have a 75gpd RODI that can be hooked up to a garden hose. Just drop me a PM. BTW - I am leaving town tomorrow morning for a few days, but I am available all day today.

Minh

Last edited by Reefugee; 05/05/2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05/05/2007, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Re: Giving Up on the Hobby

"I WILL NOT BREAK THIS UP FOR ANYTHING."

"again I WILL NOT BREAK THIS UP."

Please respect his request. If he decides to break up the tank, then I am sure he will let people know.
Old 05/05/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

i guess there are reasons, my contingency plan is to let someone foster my stuff while i do a complete system clean and let it recycle for a month. just thought if i could get half my money back i would take that over working so hard for another possible failure.
Old 05/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Ive decided I will break it up, but obviously livestock goes first, and Im hoping tank and stand or tank and light can go together, prices for each items have been listed, some more expensive and closer to retail, some way below retail.

Tank: 20gR Tru-Vu drilled for 1 1/2" bulkhead and 1" return - $75
Sump: 20g glass with 1 quarter baffle. - $30 with 96w coralife quad light - $100 (will also come with LR rubble and chaeto as well as eggcrate compartments for each.)
Return Pump: Mag 5 - 1 month used - $50
Lighting: 150w 24" sunpod bulb used 3 months - $175
Rocks: 25-30# LR - $75
Sand: 40lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive - $20
Inverts: 2 Skunk Cleaners, various CUC - $30
Fish: Healthy Mandarin, Black Sailfin Blenny - $20
Corals: 15 different rare morphs of zoas valued in the range of 600 dollars, 1 rainbow ricordia florida. $300 for all (includes pink elephants, nuke green, purple death, rose nebulas, organism, lunar eclipses, lemon limes, GPE, True AOG, True RPE, ninja turtles, kiwi bursts, fake AOGs, 2 polyps rainbow F. Ricordia, lucifers eyes, whodahs cateyes, and a couple others.) - $300 for all

Misc: Stand, test kits, mixing pumps, 2 5g buckets, 2 5g jugs, maxijet 900 pump, heaters, tower fan with osscillation option - $60 for all

Im asking $700 for the entire setup and will include heaters, misc pumps, test kits, stand, salt, buckets, just about everything you need to maintain this thing.
Old 05/05/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

I'll take these 2! Call me to set up pick up 320-3094
Tan
Thanks
Fish: Healthy Mandarin, Black Sailfin Blenny - $20
Old 05/05/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Fish gone
Tank + Sump + Lighting pending
Corals up for grabs

btw minh i appreciate your willingness to help, but ive spent more than my college budget will allow and should have stayed small rather than upgrading so much
Old 05/05/2007, 09:18 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Hey Chris, sorry to see man - but I understand your frustration. I am interested in your zoos/corals. I will send you a PM and maybe we can work something out.
Old 05/05/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

sorry bout your loss.

intrested in some nice zoas.

pm'ed

thanks!
Old 05/05/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Hi Chris,

What are the size of Skunk Cleaner and CUC and how many of CUC?

Thanks.

-John.
Old 05/06/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

If the deal on the tank, 96w coralife quad light, and sump falls through, I'd be interested.

I'd also be really interested in these:
Return Pump: Mag 5 - 1 month used - $50
Inverts: 2 Skunk Cleaners, various CUC - $30
and this; Misc: Stand, test kits, mixing pumps, 2 5g buckets, 2 5g jugs, maxijet 900 pump, heaters, tower fan with osscillation option - $60 for all

any chance of getting pics?
Old 05/06/2007, 01:21 AM
Reef Cowboy

Willing to rescue corals/inverts not already spoken for and will pony up fair money.
Old 05/06/2007, 03:15 AM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Chris,

Thanks for the coral... I really hope I can bring them back around. They are very lovely and I would hate for them to wither away (not to mention I would be out some good $$$ ). I will post some pics of their progress so you can see how they do.
Old 05/06/2007, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

LR
LS
CUC
Tanks
Lights
Stand stuff

thats all thats availible.

asking 550 for all but with part piece by piece for prices mentioned.