Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/29/2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Does this look like RTN? HElP!?!

Hi,
Well, picked up this little guy today and noticed when I brought him home, it seems like he may have RTN. I am not positive. This picture was taken at night with my lights off. This coral is actually Teal and very beautiful. The bottom part of the frag isn't white. It's more of a beige color and the healthy part above it is drop dead beautiful. Just wondering if I am jumping the gun? =( This pictures makes it look really bad. Should I try a dip of Sechems Coral Disinfectant? I have tons of it. Just wondering if that may help a bit, if something is wrong. I've also heard lugols, but my lfs said before that the same ingredients are in both. Please let me know. This coral is my favorite so far. Beautiful teal. I will take pictures in the day time. Help Help.

Thank you.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 04/29/2007, 05:55 AM
Registered Member

whoops, I forgot to attach the picture. Sorry

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 04/29/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

YUP........................RTN
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/29/2007, 11:41 AM
Flowalicious

looks mor elike STN to me. It'd already be dead if it was RTN. The top of the recessed area is a different color than the bottom. That means its been receding for a while
Old 04/29/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Either way, that base doesnt look good. If you got it that way from the LFS, id suggest calling them and asking about a return or partial credit.
Old 04/29/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Yeah that is some sort of RTN os STN. I've bought a couple colonies from this one shop and for some reason those colonies all rtn'd in a couple months, but only the ones fram that store. So I'd give them a call and just ask if you can exchange the piece or get a store credit for it.
Old 04/29/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Oh man. Is there anything I can do to help it stop? I really like this colony. =( Please let me know. I feel really bad about it because the LFS is going through a slump right now. I hate to return it.

Old 04/29/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

If you really want to keep it, i would suggest breaking off the healthy top part, do a nice dip on it and hope for the best. Doing so will probably prohibit you from taking it back to the store though
Old 04/29/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Okay here are some pictures of it during the day. I just got off the phone with him and he said that if it was RTN the entire colony would have been pure white by this morning. He said it could be STN and that he wouldn't do a dip because it would stress the colony out more. Let me know what you think from these pictures. As you can see the bottom looks a little green like it has been sitting like this for a while. Not sure though. Please let me know. Thank you.

Old 04/29/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, the base looks like there have been at least two recession events, but the tissue that is on top look nice and healthy. I would just make sure that it get plently of fow and good water conditions , and keep an eye on the base. Make a mental note of where the recession line is and if it is moveing up the coral frag off the good tips.
Old 04/29/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Yes, agree with above poster. It looked much worse in the darker pictures. Just monitor it closely to make sure that the recission isnt moving up. If it does, my suggestion above stands. Otherwise just give it good flow and light nad hopefully it recovers.
Old 04/29/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I'd just add to be sure that your water params are completely stable. No swings in alk or anything, stable, stable, stable.
Old 04/29/2007, 05:42 PM
Pappone Nerd

can you test for your PO4? I can't tell if it is the photo, but the skeleton looks a little green to me.
Old 04/29/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Hi,
He told me to make sure and put it in the sandbed for now and out of direct metal halide light. I have it a little under it, but not all the way. I just picked it up yesterday and it looked the same. My water didn't do this to it. Phosphates are 0. I talked with him yesterday about everyone wanting to remove their phosphates from the water, but he told me that phosphates are actually very good for corals and their skeletons. Just as long as the levels aren't high. I will make sure to keep things stable. Does anyone know what type of Acropora this is? He didn't know and no one else knew either. I'd like to read up on them a little if possible. I will keep an eye on the recession. Do you believe this was a STN issue then?

Old 04/30/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Do you know what type of Acro it is?

Thank you to everyone that responded. I really appreciate it. I would like to know if anyone might know what type of Acropora this is? So far tonight he still looks the same. I hope he's healthy. I love his color. Let me know if any of you can identify. Thank you again.

Old 04/30/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

Oh hey dark, I noticed before that his skeleton at the base did look green. I mentioned it before. I'm still new to Acro's. What would that indicate?

Old 04/30/2007, 02:15 AM
Pappone Nerd

i dunno, ive heard anecdotal evidence of phosphate wicking up into the skeleton when that occurs. Don't quote me though! I'll wait to see what others say. Also what kind of test kits are you using and can you post all the parameters?

But SueT has the best advice, stability is key. Nice flow doesn't hurt either and ive had acros start STNing on me when they don't get what they like.
Old 04/30/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Marinegirl,
Looks possibly like a Loripes. With regard to the phosphates, i couldnt make the argument either way but i certainly agree that they should be kept in check and not kept very high. I suppose keeping it in lower light is a good idea but i wouldnt shade it either - you dont want to add to the stress by "underlighting" it. It doesnt look like RTN with those better pics, so like everyone said, give it some light, good flow and good water and it "should" make it. Good luck
Old 04/30/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

just something to consider also is that adding a patch of super glue gel around the top portion of the bleaching area might help stop the bleaching if it were to continue. I've saved several nice frags that way.
Old 04/30/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

loolks like the coral may have lost that tissue a while ago and is now healing up.
Old 05/01/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

maybe they are going through a slump because they sell half dead corals (just a thought)

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineGirl411
Oh man. Is there anything I can do to help it stop? I really like this colony. =( Please let me know. I feel really bad about it because the LFS is going through a slump right now. I hate to return it.