Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Calcium Reactor Media

Can anyone recommend a good calcium reactor media...i'm looking to try a different media in my reactor next time I fill it. Thank you for any responses!
Old 04/28/2007, 07:22 PM
Reefkeeping Ninja

I have used Koralith Calcium Reactor Media for a couple years now without problems but it is very hard to rinse. Many say that they don't rinse it but it makes the tank really milky after rinsing it well.

I just ordered a jug of CaribSea A.R.M. Calcium Reactor Media to try out. It doesn't have to be rinsed, which I like. That saves a lot of time and it isn't as messy to deal with as the Koralith media. It does seem to be a little harder and courser than the Koralith media. I am not sure how fast it dissolves but it is supposed to dissolve at a higher PH than most other media from what I have read.

I have only been running it for near two weeks now so I can't really give a good review on if it is better than the Koralith I used before.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."-- Confucius
Old 04/28/2007, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

I use arm it works great would recommend it.
Old 04/29/2007, 08:04 AM
Island Jumper

You should rinse all media, despite their claims. Rinse the ARM, and you will be glad you did when you see bits of tree/grass and dust come out.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 04/29/2007, 08:53 AM
Flea Slide

What kind of a reactor you have?
Different medias may work better in diferent reactors.
If your reactor is an up flow fluidized bed like the deltec, the only media designed to be used as such is Rowalith C+
If your reactor is small and you feel you are using it at max capacity or your tank runs on PH lower than 8 at times ARM will work better given the exposed area and the higher PH it can dissolve. (6.5)
If your reactor recirculation pump is a bit undersized or you have an upflow reactor a larger size media like Schuran or Gen-X will be better although may need a bit lower PH to function better (6.3 to 6.4)
If you have a two chamber reactor, a media combo will work better using in the first chamber one or two inches of ARM or Koralith at the bottom and he rest with large sized media like Gen-X or Schuran and using ARM in the second chamber.
A quick rinse is always advisable specially if your reactor has the effluent valve at the output to prevent fines or debris to plug the valve. I usually do not rinse large sized media.
Old 04/29/2007, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

i have benn using Gen X coral frags, large chinks make it easy to change and clean. Seems to be holding up well over time
Old 04/29/2007, 05:52 PM
Big Boy Pants

jdieck,
You nailed that one.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 04/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by prugs
jdieck,
You nailed that one.