Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

My Red Sea MAX 2 months old

Here are some pics of my tank I started 2 months ago.
Suggestions welcome!!

Michael

More pics in my Gallery:
Link to my Gallery
Old 04/06/2007, 11:56 PM
------------

Great tank. I really love those RSM's.
Old 04/07/2007, 01:29 AM
Unregistered Member

WOW. That tank is awesome!!

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 04/07/2007, 10:02 AM
Genuine reef addict

Nice tank indeed. I'm close to ordering the RSM myself. Any approximation on how many pounds of live rock you've added? Trying to get an idea of how much live rock is needed for this tank. Thanks.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the nice comments.

I added approx. 25 pounds of LR. Started with 20 and then added later a few more.
I know some stocked with less others with more.
All will depend on the way you want your tank to look.

Michael
Old 04/09/2007, 09:04 AM
Genuine reef addict

25 looks great to me - thanks!
Old 04/09/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

hey cool what did you pay on that puppy if you don't mind and were did you get it.
Old 04/09/2007, 11:32 AM
clownfish fan

what size lights are in that thing ?

looks good
Old 04/18/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

very nice. i just set mine up 3 days ago. only problem i'm having is with the skimmer.....Bubbles!!! no matter how low i set the air valve, i get a snow storm in there.....idd you experience this at all???
Old 04/18/2007, 02:01 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
what size lights are in that thing ?

looks good
I belive they come equiped with 2 55w T5 PC bulbs.
Old 04/18/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

what a good work and nice looking, just after 2 monthes! Long life to your tank and its inhabitants!
Old 04/18/2007, 05:36 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pussua-clam
very nice. i just set mine up 3 days ago. only problem i'm having is with the skimmer.....Bubbles!!! no matter how low i set the air valve, i get a snow storm in there.....idd you experience this at all???
Hi pussua-clam. Got mine yesterday and I just added the water, salt & aragonite today. I'm seeing the snowstorm of microbubbles too, and just cranked down a lot on the air going to the skimmer, but I didn't see much difference yet. If you figure it out let me know.
Old 04/18/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Great Looking Tank and SetUp....The only thing i would say would be find some way to bind those cords together and get the out of sight.
Old 04/18/2007, 09:46 PM
Enjoying Life

Nice tank, keep it up.
Old 04/20/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the nice replies. Have been out here for a couple days and apologize for not answering you earlier.

To
Purpletang26: Paid $560 for the tank and $150 for the cabinet. Got it from my LFS here in Minneapolis. They had one on display and was really impressed by the look.

Pussua-clam and Timack: Yes. The skimmer might be an issue for some. Reading many posts in several forums some people have problems others don't. Some solved the issue by cutting the black foam in the first chamber to get a better flow. Others removed the filter media in tha last chamber. For some they just dissapeared after a while when the skimmer kicks in. I must admit the skimmer is somewhere in the middle on the quality scale but once he starts working he does the job.

Lpabsolute: Normally all the cables are nicely hidden in a special compartment. Was just doing some work on the tank and had those cables hanging loose on the side.

Old 04/20/2007, 10:10 AM
Genuine reef addict

I really searched around and the best deal I could find was at superfishstore.com. I got the tank and cabinet combo for $649.95 plus their standard ground s/h, $13.95. It was delivered direct from Red Sea Max in Texas in less than a week via FedEx (a small freight truck, not the usual FedEx home delivery trucks) to my door and the FedEx guy even brought it into my family room for me (tipped him after, as it sure saved my back!). From what I could see, if you order it online anywhere they all get shipped direct from Red Sea Max.
Old 04/20/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

wow thanks for that site its really that cheap only $663.90 for the tank stand and shipping or is it also + tax? if this is the price im going to get one also any problems so far with yours?
Old 04/20/2007, 02:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by savethereef
wow thanks for that site its really that cheap only $663.90 for the tank stand and shipping or is it also + tax? if this is the price im going to get one also any problems so far with yours?
Hi - true - no tax for me as I'm in NC, so that was the total price. If I was in TX there may have been tax involved. I was a little leary of dealing with an outfit that I wasn't familiar with but had no problems with them, and they did respond to my emails - tough getting through on their order phone line though. No problems with the tank other than the old-age aches & pains from putting the cabinet & tank together! I am getting a lot of microbubbles, but I haven't yet done any of the tricks mentioned by other users or on the RSM support site. But, I'm only getting my LR put in tonight, so I really have nothing being generated yet to give me a stable foam in the skimmer. Once I'm getting that I'll hopefully see the microbubbles decrease.
Old 04/20/2007, 04:44 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah beautiful tank!
Old 04/20/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

thanks for posting more than just pics in the Pics forum! Good info...and, nice pics too!
-------------------------------------------------------
Old 04/28/2007, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

hey, what is that piece you put on the power head outlet (the right one) of the original two that comes with the tank?
Old 04/28/2007, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Looks great
Old 04/28/2007, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Hi pussua-clam,
the device attached to the right pump is a
Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector.
Cost about $10.00.
I added this to one of my pumps to generate a more random waterflow in the tank. It turns 360 degrees and is powered by the waterflow that comes out of the pump. Like it a lot. It is cheap and have it in the tank for about 1 month now. Never failed. The only thing I do is rinse it out once a month to remove any dirt or algea.
Here is a link to their website:

http://www.hydor.it/index_en.htm

Michael
Old 04/28/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

hey there, tanks lookin great very impressed!!

i got my max on tuesday, added 9kilo of live rock on thursday and another 4kilo's yesterday, slight trace of ammonia today(sat) just waiting for those to come down before adding anything else. think im gonna get a tunze nano stream as the flow isnt enough in my opinion with the amount of rock i've got. is that a 620 seio you've added?

current water params
sg 1.026
alk high!
cal 450ppm
pH 8.2
NO4 0.1ppm
NO3 0
NO4 0
Old 04/28/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Hi Morello,
welcome to the RedSeaMax family.
I am sure you will enjoy your tank a lot. You might have a few issues with the air bubbles returning into the tank. Hope not but if so just ask me and I will try to help you.
Yes I added a Seio620 and works really nice. It really improves the flow in the tank a lot. But nothing against the Tunze Nano. I would have got one also if my LFS had one available.

Good luck
Michael
Have a look at my updated pictures:
My RedSeaMax