Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

hackjob, thanks for your input..when you say it's clean? are you referring to the surrounding or crime such as gang violence? I'm really looking to live in a community that is clean, quiet and a keeper..

Quote:
Originally posted by hack job
ditto this 90815 its a nice clean area! in fact i live there
Old 04/14/2007, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Crime is everywhere, just happens more in some areas than others. Unfortunately gang violence happens. Again some areas are more prone than others. As for your concerns, crime occurs more often in the densely populated areas. This is where you will see large apartment complexes and residential areas that have been over built over the years and homes were replaced with fourplexes and small 6-8 unit apartments.

I personally would avoid areas with older apartments nearby and especially areas where section 8 housing has been zoned. This is a breeding ground for problems. Sorry, not trying to offend anyone here, but just stating the truth.

When you decide on an area, drive through it a few times at various hours of night and weekends to see what the neighborhood is really like. And if you want to go one step further, do a ride-a-long with the agency that patrols the area you are interested in. You will find out the truth for sure.

Good luck on your hunting
Old 04/15/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Hacker's hood is a keeper. To give you an idea, the average afternoon on his street consists of moms or dads walking up and down the street with their young children, stopping to talk to their neighbors who will more than likely be over for a bbq or Friday afternoon/evening mingling at least once during the month. I can only speak for his street, but the rest of that tract seems pretty similar. East of Palo Verde, South of Willow.

BadBones info is dead on. The other thing I would do is check out the schools you'd be sending your kids to... today and 10 years from now. My wife is a teacher for LBUSD and there are big differences from school to school as far as how many kids are bussed in, the average proficiency levels of the students, etc. If the schools are a concern to you, make it a point to stop by the schools that your children may end up attending, and talk to the office staff, but not any administrators. You'll get the straight scoop on the pros and cons of any school from the occupational staff in the office. Then of course always do your third party information (standardized test scores etc.) research on the schools in question as well.

Good luck,
Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by coralGoodie
hackjob, thanks for your input..when you say it's clean? are you referring to the surrounding or crime such as gang violence? I'm really looking to live in a community that is clean, quiet and a keeper..
Old 04/15/2007, 01:31 AM
TRC Leader

Re: LB

Quote:
Originally posted by rjboyer
A nice area is by eldorado park, and college park. They could be in your price range. Close to Belmont shores to
Part of that is 90808.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 04/15/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

well the shooting was actually on california and 60th street which is 2 blocks of atlantic. But the area around Jordan High is really bad. I live in bellflower near a sheriffs station. Were i live its great its 3 block from the fwy next 1 block from a firestation,Wamu,Ralphs,Internet shop, And only 10-15 mins from Knotts and Disney Land. Oh and no crime here
Old 04/15/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Not to split hairs, but California is 4 blocks east of Atlantic. You also proved my earlier point. Population density. That block is actually composed of duplexes/fourplexes on one side. Also across from Jordan High are some of the largest apartment complexes in the city. The whole block of Atlantic from Harding to Artesia is apartments (some section 8) and behind them is the largest trailer park in Long Beach.

And as I stated before, don't go north of Carson St which is the 4000 block, 20 blocks south of where he said the shooting was. Also a tell tale sign is when you see a liquor store on every corner or so, bars and security doors on most homes, and more churches (never could figure this one out) than liquor stores, then you know its an area to avoid.

By the way, not all shootings are bad in my opinion. I live in one of the nations safest cities and we still have our share of crime. We even had a shooting. Just happens in was a homer owner shooting a burgler. Still however a shooting is reported.
Old 04/15/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Look at 90802 & 90803. We were looking for a place there but decided to move to Huntington Harbour because a lot of the nice neighborhoods in LB seem to be too close to the ghetto.

We are still really close to LB, as well as the harbor, Seal Beach, NB, Southcoast. I love our location. You should check it out here- 92649.
Old 04/26/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Ok, guys..I'm expanding my search to Hawthorne, CA. Which is a better part of Hawthorne is desirable to live? Must be quiet and less or no gang activity. I appreciate all you help
Old 04/26/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Expanding your search to include Hawthorne is not improving your chances of low crime IMO.

Is there a reason you're avoiding Huntington Beach?
Old 04/26/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

HB is nice but I'm looking to find a house that is closer to my work at El Segundo. I know 405 freeway is always a nightmare everyday.

Quote:
Originally posted by reefpeep2004
Expanding your search to include Hawthorne is not improving your chances of low crime IMO.

Is there a reason you're avoiding Huntington Beach?
Old 05/22/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

to all who lives in the Bixby Knolls area (zip 90807), do you guys get jet/airplane noise from the airport? I'm seriously considering living there. Thanks.
Old 05/22/2007, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

For the price range you are looking and to stay out of the undesirable areas of LB you will most likely find yourself in a condo. Single family homes have become more than expensive in the LB area.

I would stay North of PCH and East of Cherry in Signal Hill or south of Broadway and East of Redondo in Long Beach. South of Broadway all the way to Atlantic is a nice area as well but mostly populated by friendly male-male, female-female couples. Good people none-the-less.

The Los Altos area, near CSULB is a nice area and of course Belmont Shore and Naples. IMO, stay out of North Long Beach and avoid anything north of Broadway to PCH and anything near the 710 Fwy. Inexpensive but can be some tough neighborhoods.
Old 05/22/2007, 06:59 PM
TRC Leader

Some areas are directly under the jet path, just drive around the area and wait to see a jet land/takeoff. You could also get a map and look at the runways and draw lines to see the path also. I'm close to the airport area (90808) and really only have small planes fly by my house. The jet noise is far enough away that I don't hear it.

Some parts of Bixby are very nice!

Mike, where you been lately??

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/22/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys,,thanks for all your inputs..Highly appreciated..

I'm considering to live at Gardenia st. or its vicinity. The area is close to the landing/take off runway. You're right Kona, I need to spend some time at LB . Is Jet blue based in LB or Orange County?

I still have 5 more months left on my lease and moving and buyin gare getting closer.
It would really be nice to have fellow reefers as neighbors
Old 05/22/2007, 07:33 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
. Is Jet blue based in LB or Orange County?
Based in the LBC! I wouldn't want to live on the west side of the airport, takeoffs are much noisier than landings.

The noise one is UPS or Fedex in the evening.

Quote:
It would really be nice to have fellow reefers as neighbors
I've been amazed with how many LB reefers I have seen lately here on RC.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/23/2007, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Is Jet blue based in LB or Orange County?
Long Beach
Old 06/26/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I have sumnitted an offer on thishouse on Cal Heights but lost the bid

Now, I have submitted another one in Bixby Knolls. I like the living room where I could put my 180 galllon or more reef tank. The yard is back to hold Frag Swaps. Wish me luck guys!!
Old 06/26/2007, 09:59 AM
TRC Leader

Bixby is a nice area, good luck!

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 06/26/2007, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

well naples is nice as is the peninsula but you are seriously looking at 20+ minutes (on bad days/times) just to get to the freeway. take a look at rosmore right off seal beach blvd and the 405... you will even get a yard
Old 06/26/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Good Luck on the house
Old 06/26/2007, 04:04 PM
I play with water

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
well naples is nice as is the peninsula but you are seriously looking at 20+ minutes (on bad days/times) just to get to the freeway. take a look at rosmore right off seal beach blvd and the 405... you will even get a yard
Rossmoor is off the chart on home prices. The land is worth more than the existing house as people are demo'ing and building large custom homes. Combine that with access to a top notch school district (blue ribbon schools) and those squares of dirt are getting mighty expensive.

Brett
Old 06/26/2007, 04:11 PM
TRC Leader

No kidding Brett.
I almost purchased a house in Rossmoor before deciding to purchase in East LB. Let's just say that the extra 100k I would have spent then would have earned me another 750k now!

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 06/28/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

What do you guys think living on Chestnut Avenue near the 20th street?
Old 06/28/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

I grew up in 90808 for 18 years. Nice area but the schools suck. You might try south a few miles if you have kids. Like Los Alamitos, Rossmoor( maybe a condo in your range) Cypress, Buena Park (there is a strip that runs up till valley view st. in you range, nice area.) and Stanton were I live(so-so area) All of these area are 5-10 minutes for long beach(90808).

Pretty much when I grew up in long beach we weren't allowed to go in the areas were the streets were named after fruits, vegtables or had numbers in them.

Last edited by rxdi; 06/28/2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06/29/2007, 01:21 AM
Premium Member

Avoid Chestnut/20th. PCH is 2 blocks south with a recycling center at pch/pine. If you like to see shopping carts with cans all day and cheap motels down the street, then its for you. Otherwise go north of spring and you will be fine