Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

will I get a shadow on 4' tank?

If I run a 175w MH in the center and a 150w MH on both sides of the 175 on a 4' tank with a center brace would I get a shadow? Bulbs will be about 9" above the water.
Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by welsher7; 04/06/2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04/06/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

That would have alot to do with the reflectors you intend to use. There will almost definately be a relatively darker region right underneath the center brace. This doesn't mean that you can't place anything beneath it however.

You could always do what I did: buy an automated light mover. I got mine for $100 on ebay. It runs the light back and forth so that you get a much more even overall spread.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Re: will I get a shadow on 4' tank?

Quote:
Originally posted by welsher7
If I run a 175w MH in the center and a 150w MH on both sides of the 175 on a 4' tank with a center brace would I get a shadow? Bulbs will be about 9" above the water.
Thanks,
Dan
I don't know if it will make a shadow or not with the extra bulbs on the sides. Probably not very noticable.

You could do what I do and run 2 250w on each side of the center bar. It works well.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

the tank is only 18" deep. I think 250w would be over kill.
Old 04/24/2007, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

I have 2 175w s.e. bulbs over a 4' 70g w/ ctr. brace and have no distinguishable shadow. Lights are approx. 9" above the water. King Nine, are you saying you have 4 250w bulbs on your tank, wow, thats alot of light. right on
Old 04/24/2007, 08:37 AM
Rubberman

I'd like to run 175's on a lot of the tanks but have yet to find the bulb selection, color and quality to be the same as 250w versions.

That said, I think 2 bulbs on a 4' tank is plenty of light and will help control the costs of running the tank.

SteveU