Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/22/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

90g Tank Stand

Here's a sketch of the stand I plan on building for a 90g. Is there any flaws with the design. I tried to copy the ones that I see posted here every now and then.

Also, I am planning to add a 20g long that is going to be displayed in the stand through a cut out in the skin. It will be placed above another 20g that will be the sump. It won't be directly above the other and will be supported by wooden posts attached to the stand. So the above will be slightly offset, so that an overflow will drain to the bottom and also for room for skimmer plumbing.

The plan is for the 90g main display to drain into the 20g display. Then an adequate overflow will drain from the 20g display into the sump and then finally back to the 90g.

If this makes sense to you, is it possible for it to work?
Old 04/23/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Bueller.... Bueller....Bueller...........

Really? This doesn't intrigue anyone? I just want to know if it will work. I suspect that it will.

Also the sketch is missing two supports on the right side.
Old 04/23/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

I know 20g long tanks are not very tall, but I just see this being a nightmare to work inside. I have a taller than normal stand for my 90, and while I have a 30g long as my sump, I don't know how I'd fit another tank in there.
Old 04/24/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

hey thanks for the idea i just took ur design and ran with it. Added a few more cross braces but it is definitely beefy and sturdy thanks for the design!
Old 04/24/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

You have two supports in the rear length and none in the front? I just built a stand for a 75 and used 2x6s for the top spans. I am also going to wedge a removable center brace in the front just so I sleep better (I can always pop it in or out if I need remove a sump or what-not). Probably way overbuilt, but I'll have no worries and sweet dreams insted of nightmares. Just some thoughts.
Old 04/24/2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

The overall idea is sound. However, I would make the top frame out of 2X6 and remove the supports in the middle. For a 90g tank, a 2X6 over 48" span is more then enough support.

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 04/24/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

The wood over the span is a non-issue with glass tanks which are designed to by supported by the side walls (aka AGA tanks). The weight of the entire tank is carried by the side glass (not the bottom) which due to its shape has a very high stiffness (Ixx for you engineering types) and only needs to be supported at the corners of the tank. If you ever get a change to take a look at a factory stand, there is no weight carrying ability in the center of the stand, it is after all a thin piece of partical board.

I would just use 2x4's on the rim (pick out some really straight ones) and then double them up on the ends. You could in theory span the entire distance but then you'll run into stability issues (read tipping side to side). Here's what I put together, the stand was designed for either a 75, 90, or 120 AGA, I went with the 90, and it stood proudly for 2 years.

Old 04/24/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Talking

looks good to me. when a friend of mine was building a stand for his 110 (60X18X24), he used 4X4s in the coners, and then put in 2X4s in between the top and bottom rim on each side the coner joined. he did use 4X4s in the center; he is only using the underneath for storage. having a tank 5 feet long, he just wanted to, as is the case with most people, including a previous as well as myself, "sleep better"
Old 04/24/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Well seeing as how I just built a stand for an 80G I'll chime in. The 4 corner "legs" are more than enough to carry the weight, any other bracing, ect you do should be to help in rigidity in keeping the stand from having lateral movement. Pine has a compressive strength og 10,000 lbs per sq inch. so the stands we build can in theory hold military tanks.
I found the perfect panels for mine yesterday. The HD near me has 4'x8' pieces of 1/8th board that has a tile look to it, they also have a panel board that is pre colored wit ha dark cherry stain look. It's very nice. The panel board is only $18, add a few $ for trim pieces and cuts that they can do for you and you have a damn nice looking stand that will last longer than the fish tank.