Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/05/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Genral72
Which one is it I'll bid you up. Just kidding
Its this one (tank included)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Unique-Anti...QQcmdZViewItem
Lamp and cord sold separately JK
Old 04/05/2007, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

The baserock looks nice. How's the anemone doing after transfer from your small tank?
Cheers
Old 04/06/2007, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunt
The baserock looks nice. How's the anemone doing after transfer from your small tank?
Cheers
I can't hardly wait until the base rock cycles and get rid of the skeleton coral, The anemone is doing fine other than the coral beauty started a war with the clown fish and of course the Anemone is caught right in the middle.....
Old 04/10/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

ok I lost the auction for the Hamilton M/H lighting setup so I guess my bid was not as competitive as i thought as I was out bid by $75.00+ on the auction, and well lets say for my application it was not worth the price to me. So no big loss as it was a 2X175w M/H canopy and I would have had to modify it for my application.
Old 04/10/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Well for the good news is that I Ordered a 2X250W M/H with a 48" base reflector (I know I should have got A 72" however the auction included the 48" and I did request a 72" wether or not I receive it I will have to wait and see (keeping fingers crossed)). However I did order an additional spider reflector for $12.00 for the 175W M/H I already have. So I am going to place the 2-250W 10k on each end and the 175W 20K M/H (already on tank) in the middle With the 2-65W P/C actinics approximately 4-6" from the ends. I am also planning on having to modify my canopy one last time so that it will open from the front instead of the top for better access to the aquarium. Once the Base rock cycles completely I plan on creating 2 islands on each side with a lagoon in the middle (reason for 175w in the middle and P/C off to the sides) Let me know what you think so far.
Here is a pic of the retro kit.
Old 04/10/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

I go to Wet Pets and friends. Their tanks are very clean and I do not recall ever seeing a dead fish in one of their tanks. If you go when they just get their shipments their freshwater tanks are way overstocked. They are a little pricey but the quality is worth it. I've heard that elmers aquarium and Alantis are both a little cheaper and have heard they are better but I haven't visisted them yet.

On another note where in Pittsburgh were you from?
Old 04/10/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

I have been to Elmers in Monroe not bad, however they seemed to me.... well more into making money than anything. now Alantis (if its the one I am thinking of its on rt.51 north of century 3 mall) is a smaller store however very knowledgeable personable and outstanding live stock and I would highly recommend and I make it a point to stop in every trip I make to PGH.
Old 04/19/2007, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

Things have been moving right along lately, went to Lowes picked up a 4'X8' of 3/8" oak plywood plywood cut it down to size for the canopy, drilled the pocket holes for the screws, stained with 2 coats of golden oak stain and 3 coats of Minwax helmans spar urethane. The reason for the canopy redesign is I want access to the aquarium from the front instead of the top for better access.
Old 04/19/2007, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

Ok the lights have arrived and everything seems to be in order its just a matter of finishing the canopy and installing them today (hopefully), I have also found some 12v neon blue leds (3) that I will also be installing into a transformer for night lights. Stay tuned hopefully I will get some pics.
Old 04/19/2007, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Genral72
I go to Wet Pets and friends. Their tanks are very clean and I do not recall ever seeing a dead fish in one of their tanks. If you go when they just get their shipments their freshwater tanks are way overstocked. They are a little pricey but the quality is worth it. I've heard that elmers aquarium and Alantis are both a little cheaper and have heard they are better but I haven't visisted them yet.

On another note where in Pittsburgh were you from?
Wet pets and friends is that the one down by donaldsons cross roads in the plaza that has the surge tank? If so you are right very nice live stock however it has been around 4-5yrs since I have been in there.
BTW I was in jefferson and west e.
Old 04/19/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Ok I got the top of the canopy done and will be using the side, front, and rear panels. Hinges installed, M/H lights mounted (yes with spacers) and so on Hopefully I can get the rest done this weekend. Sorry no pics at this time.
Old 04/20/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Alright the Canopy is done.... I decided to dump the 3leds and stick with the 1 noen. This Is Before....

And My Genric Refletors

Old 04/20/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

and now after..... Much better access..... and Brighter.....
Top assembled with lights installed.

On Aquarium with front open...

Lights on Front open.... (with flash)

canopy closed lights on with flash

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/cdentii/100_0577.jpg[/IMG

Flash Off much brighter.

Old 04/20/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Stay tuned next weekend Aquascaping.....
Old 04/21/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

fighting the aquascaping bug...... tempting tempting tempting
Old 04/21/2007, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
fighting the aquascaping bug...... tempting tempting tempting
Oh, go for it
Enjoy following your thread. I just set up a 125 a couple months ago. Still waiting for my lighting (T-5's) fixture. How is your Powder Blue Tang doing? I had one and lost it to ich. After my other fish get out of hospital tank, I'll be back to working on the 125. Meanwhile, will be checking yours for updates.
Old 04/22/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arbee
Oh, go for it
Enjoy following your thread. I just set up a 125 a couple months ago. Still waiting for my lighting (T-5's) fixture. How is your Powder Blue Tang doing? I had one and lost it to ich. After my other fish get out of hospital tank, I'll be back to working on the 125. Meanwhile, will be checking yours for updates.
I am so tempted to do so as my "Marco Rock" is almost cycled its been 23 days now and maybe another day or two away just to make sure as I don't want to put any undue stress on the inhabitants.

Sorry to hear about your PBT mine is doing fine (so far) the Coral Beauty Angelfish is still going at it with the clown however due to the anemone the clown seems to have the upper hand and the PBT seems to intervene from time to time to help keep the peace. the firefish decided to go carpet surfing and well RIP.

I looked at your thread and like what I have seen (BTW nice stand ) and will surely be following along.
Old 04/28/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Everything is looking good and ready to go for the aquascaping. I will be sure to get some pics as soon as the water clears.
Old 07/06/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Any pics now that's the water most likely has cleared? Can you possibly show the sump in use as well?
Old 08/19/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

A lot has been going on lately I ended up splitting up with the now ex so its just me and my 5yr old daughter once again. Also have been currently going through legal formalities. I ended up moving the aquarium And what a lot of fun that was, hopefully that will be the last time for a long time. Anyway everything is doing fine except the Open Brain Coral it took a serious set back however is now on the way to recovery. I also picked up a couple of new corals. here are some picks....

Last edited by cdentii1; 08/19/2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08/19/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

And the anemone (and Clown fish) is still hanging in there at 5+ yrs

Old 08/19/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Here is a full tank shot.
Old 08/19/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Even those pc's get hot and you have them directly on the wood. You need to make a small rack to hang the lights off of and away from the wood. Use reflectors and a fan also.
Old 08/20/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Nice pics - thanks.