Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

115-gallon acrylic tank

I just got a 115-gallon acrylic tank. My plans are to start a mini reef tank. I have a couple questions. First when I filled the tank with water there is a slight bow in the center front and back of the tank, is this normal? My second question is I am looking into a euro reef skimmer but I’m not sure if I should get a RS 135 or RS 180, or is there another skimmer out there that is just as good as an euro reef skimmer that someone can recommend. Thanks Game24_7
Old 04/07/2007, 01:41 AM
reef obsessed

The bow is probably normal. Can't totally help you there, sorry. Euro-Reef is tops on my list for skimmers. If you can swing the RS180 then do it. It will give you a little more safeguard on your water quality.
Old 04/07/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

What brand of tank is it? Does it have braces? I don't think its a good sign when you see any bow.

115g isn't mini
Old 04/07/2007, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

The bow would scare me too, especially after just filling it. It sounds like either the wrong size acrylic or the wrong bracing or both. How thick is the acrylic? What are the tank measurements? What type of bracing is on the top?
Old 04/07/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

yeah i agree the tank should not bow.

i would say its the bracing.

andrewr has the right Q's we just need the A's
Old 04/07/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

The bow does look like it may be normal. I even tried to take a picture of it but you can’t tell by looking at the picture that there is a slight bow. So maybe I’m being paranoid. The brand of the tank is TRUVU, and there is a support in the center top of the tank.
Old 04/07/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Ask the company you bought it from..if they arent helpful, ask TRUVU directly.
Old 04/07/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

a bow would scare me 115= not mini
Old 04/07/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

any bow is not good.IMO it is probably underbuilt.how thick is the acrylic?what are the dimensions LxWxH?
Old 04/07/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Don't worry about the bow. anyone that is saying the bow is not normal, has obviously never had a tank over 40 gallons. Your tank is made of acrylic, not steel--it's gonna bow.
Old 04/07/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alexb518
Don't worry about the bow. anyone that is saying the bow is not normal, has obviously never had a tank over 40 gallons. Your tank is made of acrylic, not steel--it's gonna bow.
lol wrong.if the tank bows it will stress the joints.stress on the joints leads to joints failing.i have had an acrylic tank and it bowed,it also failed.acrylic tanks dont bow if made out of the proper thickness for the tanks dimensions.
Old 04/07/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

My tank is a TRUVU as well. Its 50 gallons and 24" deep Mine bows and has been bowing for the last 10 years that my family has had it.

Before I inherited it my stepdad sliced off some of the bracing so that getting into the tank could actually be done.

I don't doubt that bowing stresses the joist but I am also pretty confident that it is to be expected to some degree.

I do think that mine is underbuilt though. The acrylic is only 1/4" but the corner shape is part of the reason for this. No long large sides to support.
Old 04/07/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
lol wrong.if the tank bows it will stress the joints.stress on the joints leads to joints failing.i have had an acrylic tank and it bowed,it also failed.acrylic tanks dont bow if made out of the proper thickness for the tanks dimensions.

checkinhawk, i'm not saying that it is normal for the tank to look like a bow front or an egg. however, the poster of this thread admitted that the bow is very slight. and if you have ever looked carefully enough at any tank of substantial size, you are going to see a bow. my 150 is 1/2 inch glass, and even that bows. fyi: it's been bowing for over 10 years.
Old 04/07/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

i know what you mean i just believe if built right then it wont bow.my old 60 bowed and held for years but eventually failed at the back bottom seam.my next tank will be acrylic and will be built thicker to ensure no bowing.i actually just had a conversation today about this subject with my local store and he said alot of the manufactures make them underspeced IHO and from what ive seen and heard i agree.
Old 04/07/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

my true vu bow's also not at the top where the bracing is but kinda in the middle not much maybe an 1/8 of an inch but you can see it if you look down the front.

Art
Velocity t4 closed loop pump
6 3' compact flourescent 10k lamps
Tbs Package for 110 gal