Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/03/2007, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

New 90 gallon setup - lighting

I was looking at getting the Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights. I was looking at getting the 48" 4-54 watts. What type of corals could I keep with this lighting? What about clams? Would I have to get 8-54 watts instead?
Old 04/03/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

I would say you could keep most softies and possibly some SPS. I would go with the 8x54W personally. It will give you more options down the road.
Old 04/03/2007, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

I have been looking into the same lights for a 90 i want to set up. Fosters and Smith have them for $200 i think... i want to do a FOWLR at first, and then start with soft corals... remember, you can always upgrade later to bigger and better. Bunker
Old 04/03/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

But why spend more money down the road? If you can afford it get the best right now.
Old 04/03/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Lets face it, if we could afford the best, why settle for a 90, why not a 180 or a 220, or even a 800 gallon beast.... do whats in your comfort zone money wise... i think with 200 watts, you can do quite a bit of soft coral... and if you are like me, you will want more tanks later... there is always room for upgrade, always new products coming out, and always someone interested in used equipment. Good luck with your choices. Bunker
Old 04/03/2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

If you can afford it, the 8 bulbs is a better option.
Old 04/03/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I would love to go bigger and better but money is always an issue in this hobby but I still love it.
Old 04/03/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I recently bought the same light(4 x 54) from Foster and Smith. It is a good value. The only two issues are 1) the moonlights are white and seem too bright and 2) the "white" bulbs it came with seem too white( I don't remember the spectrum off hand) and I will probably replace one of them.