Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

new fish advice needed

I am thinking of adding a few fish.

I already have two oscellaris clown fish in a 55g.

I propose adding:

1 sand sifting goby

1 flame angel

5 schooling fish (blue chromis?)

And maybe something else.

Does anyone have any advice or caution on this combination?

Thanks,

Lee
Old 03/27/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

IMO you will be fine with that fish load. fish list for my 55 includes...
Radiant wrasse
fairy wrasse
oscellaris (pair)
Yellow watchman goby
5 chromis

And I keep sps long term with sucess. You should be fine, just watch how much your feeding and do regular water changes.
Old 03/27/2007, 09:07 PM
Moving Along

I think that is a viable possibility. Just dont get too attached to the chromis and hope to at least have 3 of the original 5(poor shipping, territory outside and inside it's own specie so be assured its not always indicative of water quality..)! But will make for a colorful display and pretty much leave no space unturned in the tank with movement. The chromis will school, the clown will find its "spot" , flame will meandering through it all, and well you know where the goby will be

I think that'd be fine as long as you dont get that "something else.." The flame and clowns demand some elbow room in there own right and the chromis can get away with crowding them a lil as there very social and very non-agressive. Im successfuly housing 3 chromis, 1 maroon clown, and 1 CB Butterfly myself in my 50 but am pretty much maxed out at the same time. I use to have a good size wrasse in there but between him and the chromis, it kinda left my butterfly soley dependant upon me for food as they would clear the tank, especially the wrasse.

Hopefully you have a good pod population, the chromis cruise all day lookin for em, and the flame will spend his day huntin' and peckin too. I'd add the chromis then the flame though and not all at once. It's always an easier acclimation for everyone involved, to get use to each other's territories, and just as importantly allows your tank to increase its bacteria and pod population in adjustment to it's increased biolode, will help keep tank more stable and decrease the chances of stress and algae blooms. Also, the flame is one of the more aggressive inhabitants so its always a good measure to put them in last so they are less likely to bully. Sorry for the windy post, got on a roll I guess

-Justin
Old 03/28/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Justin,

Awesome response.

Thank you very much.

I will take your advice to heart. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Lee
Old 03/28/2007, 08:19 PM
Moving Along

Pleasure to help out Lee!

-Justin
Old 03/29/2007, 12:15 AM
I talk too much...

if i had to pick one kind of fish to reccomend to anybody it would be the bicolor blenny. they are colorful and have alot of personality. they like to hide in holes and mine loves his barnacle clusters. as a bonus the blenny is an EXCELLENT algae eater, mine even eats hair algae. my blenny also goes to get cleaned by the shrimp alot. i have never seen any aggression out of mine, aside from an open mouth bluff when some one is near his hole. he takes care of his favorite holes too which is fun to watch, if you sprinkle sand in his barnacle he will scoop it up in his mouth and spit it back out the hole.
Old 03/29/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Lileah,

Thats actually what I am getting rid of.

My bicolor blenny attacks everyone, kills shrimp and eats my zoos.

Don't buy him, I'm returning him to O St.

Lee