Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Philadelphia Area Reef Club (PARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/20/2007, 09:42 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

So much for Ed's comment back in Feb...

Quote:
I would like to take the time to personally say sorry to everyone that I have seemed to let down. My whole intention in establishing ILC was to give hobbysts (my brethern) an opportunity to be able to shop for all of the exotics that we all wish to see in our aquariums by actually seeing the items in person before a decision was arrived upon. I also tried my best to make sure that I made available all of the dry items you would need to be potential "reef of the month contendants". However, this was a feat that I could not do alone given the scope of my ideas as well as the final cost of execution. So to insure success I took on a partner that I believed shared my views. I had made a mistake and almost immediately the company shone that. I will say this though, where can you go and see the number of animals that we make available as well as the overall health or items that you usually only see on the internet? Who else brings in items to satisfy their customers not just to turn a profit? I have tried with all my heart to do that and I promise that I will. In the next few days shipments will arrive daily until the store is at a level that I would travel great distances to support. Tomorrow, for example 200 clams are coming and the day after that 30 boxes of Bali fish and coral. Within the next two weeks we will be operating at full capacity for both drygoods and livestock and I give my word that you will not be able to find a place that has a better livestock or drygood selection or is as price driven. At the grand re-opening the discount will be so amazing that it would be foolish not to come. There will also be someting for everyone no matter how long you have been in the hobby. In addition, I will be giving away a 210 setup, the color choice of the winner complete with haildes, reactor, pumps, sump, skimmer, and a gift card for $500.00 in livestock- be it rock, fish, critters or coral. I give my word that no one, after the re-opening will ever have anything but great things to say about ILC. Ed
Old 03/20/2007, 09:46 PM
Moved On

Who won the 210g setup?
Old 03/22/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

i think ed won the 210 setup...... :P
Old 03/22/2007, 10:23 PM
amateur zookeeper

Duh you guys... obviously the reopening hasn't happened or we would have seen all the changes.
Old 03/23/2007, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

I've been coming to reef central for years. Two things will never be given the benefit of doubt.
1.) Garf
2.)What ever fishstore opens at the cherryhill location that ILC presently ocupies.

I understand not going out of your way to go to ILC in it s present state, but it is not the worst ever.

Lets compare all the fish stores in the "area", eastern suburbs of Philly in no particular order. I challenge anyone who posted in this thread to who has visited these stores to say ILC is the worst.

1.) Pets Plus in Delran
Nice place

2.) ILC in Cherry Hill
Needs some work

3.) Aquarium Discount Center in Marleton
Just look at their reef tank.

4.) Zoo pet center in Blackwood
Not sure what to think

5.) Precious pets in Burlington
They are still trying to sell me a wet dry filter

6.) Allquatics in Bordentown
My fav place, but honestly up and down

7.) Value pet center in Pennsauken
I dare you to buy fish from this place

8.) Aquarium center (blackwood)
Very nice place, but too far for me

Sorry if I forgot one or two, but I hope you all get the point I'm trying to make
Old 03/23/2007, 07:25 AM
Moved On

Come across the bridge!

East Coast Aquatics
The Hidden Reef
Pets Plus Langhorne
Pets Plus Red Lion Rd

Old 03/23/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Good point and I do.

Hidden reef doesn't sell live stock right now.
Pets plus are basically all the same.
Ive never been to east coast place
Old 03/23/2007, 08:39 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Spykey
Good point and I do.

Hidden reef doesn't sell live stock right now.
Pets plus are basically all the same.
Ive never been to east coast place
I cant wait for THR to get their livestock area up and running.

Check out East Coast Aquatics if you ever head down to the Philly Airport area. Like most other places, hit or miss when it comes to certain things but overall good quality/health of livestock and an improving coral selection.
Old 03/23/2007, 08:51 AM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

Dont forget about Big ALs coming to Norristown.
Big Als Thread

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 03/23/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

personally water pets aquarium does it for me, they have the nicest corals ive seen in a long time and the tanks are crystal clear, all of them. Each store has its strong points, like that crap hole on 73 on 130 in nj have GREAT prices on tanks, but the rest sucks, coral wise it was THR and pets plus in redlion, but now water pets has my debit card numbers for sure, it all boils down to price, rarity, and how much they have in stock at all times for me. i am guarenteed to go to WP and see something i like. but that me
Old 03/23/2007, 03:39 PM
Moved On

I go to WP and see something I like...I just dont have the credit card balance to pay their asking prices...nor do I have the patience to wait around to get the best price, which changes every time I go in there because they arent labeled!
Old 03/23/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Is there an lfs You like? I have heard you trash just about all of them
Old 03/23/2007, 05:20 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by frank2926
Is there an lfs You like? I have heard you trash just about all of them
Always had good experiences at East Coast Aquatics.

Never had a problem with The Hidden Reef.

Something Fishy is good...wish they had an online catalog, but their stock changes so rapidly that it would be tough for them to do that...still worth the drive.

Last time I was at That Pet Place the fish selection was strong.

Pets Plus in Langhorne, PA has gotten better since new management took over the fish dept...nice frag tanks, improving fish selection.

The Frazer Zoo is small but healthy livestock.

World Wide Aquarium in Roxborough is a great place for fish and anemones...wont find a better price.

Nope...pretty much ILC, Zoos in south Philly and WPA that I dont like. And I dont seem to be in the minority on those opinions if you search the boards.
Old 03/23/2007, 05:23 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

TFZ just added about 8 tanks for live stock. He is also setting up a tank for all of his zoos that are now for sale.

DVRC Vice President
Old 03/23/2007, 05:32 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay4Robin
TFZ just added about 8 tanks for live stock. He is also setting up a tank for all of his zoos that are now for sale.
Sweet. I will have to check it out. Where did he expand? Did he just add more tanks in that room?

Oh...and what the deal with the display tank? I think the last time I was there it was undergoing a remodel or tear down/build up.
Old 03/23/2007, 05:38 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Absinthe
Sweet. I will have to check it out. Where did he expand? Did he just add more tanks in that room?

Oh...and what the deal with the display tank? I think the last time I was there it was undergoing a remodel or tear down/build up.
He moved a 70 gallon that was on the floor in the back corner next to the TV. He built up the area with all new tanks for liverstock.
The display tank is all leathers and LPS it looks nice.
His prices for fish are great.

DVRC Vice President
Old 03/23/2007, 06:41 PM
Moved On

Agreed. Maybe I will take a trip this weekend.

I dont trash ALL the local stores. Only the ones that obviously lack concern for the customer and most importantly, the animals they "care" for (and therefore deserve a little negative feedback).
Old 03/23/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Never had a problem with The Hidden Reef
Thats funny because I remember a post where you said you would never go back to the reef because of customer service.

I would repost the thread but I doubt I could find it . Being that I would have to sift thru the 7,000 plus threads you have posted in.
Old 03/23/2007, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

And I was going to make a trip to ILC this weekend until I read this thread. Since I have to go there to unload my tank I'll check it out anyway and form my own opinion although I don't think it'll be any different from what I've read...
Old 03/23/2007, 07:58 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by frank2926
Thats funny because I remember a post where you said you would never go back to the reef because of customer service.

I would repost the thread but I doubt I could find it . Being that I would have to sift thru the 7,000 plus threads you have posted in.
Oh frank...

Is there a way to block certain membesr posts?

I think frank2926 likes harassing me for some reason about my feelings regarding ILC. Why not harass others about their comments as well? Why only me?

If you are an owner/employee then maybe listening to the feedback instead of complaining about it would be a better use of your time.

Last edited by Absinthe; 03/23/2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03/23/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Now thats funny. accusing me of being an employee / owner. If you ever actually read any threads instead of just waiting for your turn to post bs you would see that I have defended almost every lfs in the area. So Do I own water pets the reef and pets plus? or do I just work at all of them?

Its not a matter of your feelings about ILC. Its the fact that you constantly and cowardly post negative stuff about most stores. Ever walked into an lfs and told them your RC name. (pick one).
I dont think there is one that you could. I went to ILC a couple of times.
Old 03/23/2007, 09:25 PM
Moved On

I understand your point, but I dont see why it is such a crime to voice my opinion about a particular store in a thread that is originally started for that purpose.

If someone started a thread with the title "talk about the Phillies" I would insert my opinion there as well.

I havent gone out my way to post negative comments about stores and everything I write is based on my own opinions and experiences, nothing more.

If you have issue with people voicing negative opinions about a business then perhaps avoiding the thread altogether would be the best decision.

As said above...I have no problem with a half dozen stores in the greater philadelphia area. Yes, there are positive and negative about every place of business and I think its important to remember that.

But what I feel is more important is the local reef community as a whole supporting the stores that take care of their livestock, encourage coral propogation, encourage environmentally sound practices, treat their customers with respect and work to make this hobby fun.

Do I feel ILC or WPA do that? Not in the least.

Who does? SF and ECA in my experience. THR as well before it burned down...and hopefully in the future as well. TFZ was very accomodating both times I was there, once as a drop-in and the other time when I met some locals for a frag swap.

The Pets Plus locations I mentioned above have come along way, although I am more familiar with the Langhorne location.

I just dont see what your beef is. If you have no personal attachment to these places, then why the constant posts seeking me out to give me a hard time?

As I said above...why not complain about the dozen other people who posted negative things as well?

Why not mention the posts I made where I had words of hope and encouragement for this particular store?

Why do you take your time to read what I write, respond with incomprehensible inuendos and then tell me that I am cowardly?

You are the one who didnt answer my PM asking why you have a personal problem with me.

You are the one lurking behind my posts trying to question what I say.

"Its the fact that you constantly and cowardly post negative stuff about most stores. "

Give me a break. ILC sucks. The truth is out there and I am not the only one to feel this way.

ECA knows me. Pets Plus Langhorne knows me.

If you have more to say to me regarding your personal feelings for me, please respond to the message I sent you. But for the life of me I cannot think of any reason you despise me so much.

You certainly do seem to enjoy "watching mod make people dance" because all you are trying to do is cause trouble where there seems to be relative harmony.

Move on from whatever hang up you have.

I'm not feeding into your attacks anymore. You can consider your personal vendetta a one-sided affair.

Happy reefing.

Absinthe

Last edited by Absinthe; 03/23/2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03/23/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

See that is what I am talking about

Do you really think I sit here and wait for you to respond?

sorry you are not that big of a concern to me

what happened at the lfs you dont like?

they did not throw rose petals at your feet when you walked in ?

in the past you have trashed eca and pets plus and the hidden reef

All under different names of course

Is there a business that anyone can run better than you THINK you can?

not to mention you ****ed on every mod on only god knows how many different sites. and yet you keep coming back.. Why?
Old 03/23/2007, 10:08 PM
Sps Junkie

Uh OH this is not good
Old 03/23/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

I am fairly new to keeping a reef and I had great expectations when going there for the first time. I ended up with some LR brought it home only to find bubble algae on it and the addition of sea lice. What a mess to clean up.

I was trying to find a light set-up for a 75 gallon, was told it was in stock, however they could not find it. After several repeat phone calls to them and several promises for them to return my call, I finally went elsewhere. My time is limited and the 70 minutes it takes to get there is just not worth the hassles. Never again, I guess my money is not good there either.