Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Question HOB Emperor 400 BIO-Wheel filter

I have 2 of these on the back of my 90 gal. They say they are each rated for a 80 gal tank. Figure more is better and i had them laying around. The tank is still cycling with 90 lbs of LR at this point and will be for about 3 to 4 more weeks. Should I keep the bio wheels in them? I have heard alot in here about them being nitrate generators. Being that the filer boxes are so big could I replace the filter pads in one and load it with LR?

Dave
Old 01/08/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

tank off the bio wheels and yes you can fill with lr.
Old 01/08/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I will now.
Old 01/09/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

What you are suggesting will work fine as long as you don't go crazy overfeeding. I took my biowheels off, I also replace the filter pads alot more than recommended. That and all the LR in the display keep my parameters in check. I am also considering making some micron filters that can be washed daily.
Old 01/09/2007, 12:58 PM
One Good Friend

I had 2 on my 125 for a while, but took them off after about 6mths becuase i built a sump. I never had my nitrites above 10 with them on. There not nearly as bad as a canister cuz there easily washed or replaced. I had the bio wheels on for a while, but the salt creep on those babies made me think otherwise
Old 01/09/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

I would take off the wheels, keep the pads clean, and get a good skimmer too if you don't have one.
Old 01/09/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all for your responses. LauraCline let me know when you get the micro's figured out. I also am going to expermint a little with different type pads also. Will keep you posted as well

Dave
Old 03/16/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Question:

You guys who take the biowheels off your emperors...what do you do then? I have them on my tank, and if I take the biowheels off, the water just kind of squirts everything.
Old 03/16/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Another option is to take off the biowheels and fill them with cheato to use as a hob fuge.
Old 03/16/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Could you explain that a bit, please? Not sure what cheato is or how one would go about filling a biowheel with it.

I'm a n00b...be thorough.

Seriously....thanks for the reply!
Old 03/16/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

You would remove the bio wheel, and in the space in the back, where the filter pads go, you would put in chaeto algae. Making your own HOB refugium. I still have my biowheels in place, I plan on taking them out though. I have a sump with a refugium and skimmer. I just like the HOB filters to take out bigger particles, just have to change filters constantly do reduce ammonia build up.
Old 03/16/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

My question is really about the removal of the biowheels and the water spraying out of the spray tubes. Do you guys remove the spray tubes as well, or how does that work? I tried just pulling out the biowheels, and it really just kind of sprays water everywhere, and if you direct it down at the plastic, you get a lot of spray bouncing off of that, too.

Thanks,

damon
Old 03/16/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

I just took mine off and angled it back into the filter area and would the lid on it and worked fine for me. No splashing or anything.
Old 03/16/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys.........can someone explain in detail why exactly the biowheels are nitrate "factories"? I understand why bio balls in a sump can be, because the can trap alot of debris and stuff, but Im not sure I understand why the wheels are considered "bad" to some? Any help would be great, thanks
Old 03/16/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I asked a fellow reefer about doing the HOB Refugium thing with an old Aquaclear 500 filter I had laying around. He said that it would be fine but the flow would be a bit too much coming out of the filter. Also, what about off cycle (from main tank) lighting? He has his reef lights on for 12 hours and his fuge lights on for the opposite 12 hours.