Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2007, 12:37 PM
Moved On

discouraged

finding out more and more every day theat the pet store that "helped" me set up my fish tank had me put copper in my water to cure disease. Big mistake i'm so unhappy right now that i feel like i have failed i know i have to have an all fish tank right now and i just feel like this tank has failed help??
Old 03/13/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

i think some people use copper to treat fish with ich, but they do not add it to their display tank. it is supposed to be used in a quarantine tank. what did you add? was it cupramine? if you are treating fish for ich you need to read about hyposalinity. it is a much safer cure for ich.
Old 03/13/2007, 12:47 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Don't get down on yourself Jenny, everybody here has made stupid mistakes and done dumb stuff. There comes a point when you just have to suck it up and say: "Ok! I'm not gonna do anymore dumb stuff to my tank!! From now on I won't listen to the LFS b/c I know they are just trying to sell me stuff. I'm gonna research all my purchases before I make them and I'm gonna buy only what I need and only what will help my tank!!"

Do that and within a year you will have the nicest tank on the block!
Old 03/13/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

unfortunately if you have put the copper into you display tank I don't think there is a way to get it out of the sand and the rockwork. I you plan on putting in any coral you are going to have to start over I think.

Anybody else?
Old 03/13/2007, 01:03 PM
Moved On

why do i feel like its just a waste of a tank then i wanted an all fish tank untill i got to know more about the salt water tank world i just feel like i have in ugly tank i have crushed coral live sand live rock and base rock i mean the live rock is getting alot of purple but i just feel like i failed i used the stuff called copper safe stupid pet store
Old 03/13/2007, 01:08 PM
reef obsessed

Don't beat yourself up. Believe me, in the last 10 years of my reefing i've done far worse things. Might be a good opportunity for you to start fresh with a new outlook on the hobby. Good luck!
Old 03/13/2007, 01:10 PM
Moved On

start fresh meaning???? i have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on this tank
Old 03/13/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

better to start over now then 6months from now.
Old 03/13/2007, 01:17 PM
Abi-Normal

I used copper in my tank, and 6 months later converted it to a reef. The key is to do everything in your power to remove the copper. using things like carbon, and poly filters, along with treating your tank with stress coat will take copper out of the water over time. Water changes help too. Do what you can to pull the copper out, and then give it time........
Old 03/13/2007, 01:20 PM
Generic Member

Try the reef chemistry forum and see if they have any additional ideas on how to remove the copper.
Old 03/13/2007, 01:32 PM
Abi-Normal

dont believe anybody who tells you your setup is shot becuase of the copper. It is simply not true. I had used the copper safe too. So I know you can make it work.
Old 03/13/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennyb1486
start fresh meaning???? i have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on this tank
Not to discourage you but if you are interested in moving beyond a fish-only setup, hundreds and hundreds is just scratching the surface. So-called budget reef systems, you know, the ones with "minimal" startup costs, regularly exceed $1000.

Don't even get me started on the financial impact of a non-budget system.
Old 03/13/2007, 02:04 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Well you can upgrade to a bigger tank if you have the money... You'll always want bigger in this hobby
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 03/13/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Copied from Wet Web Media a site maintained by Bob Fenner author of the Conscientious Marine Aquarist.
"I'd try to remove even more copper by the use of absorptive media such as Poly Filter, which changes color to show that it's absorbing the copper. CupriSorb by Sea Chem is another excellent media to help remove copper. Copper will continue to leach from substrate, rocks, and the tank itself over time, but the continued use of the aforementioned absorptive media and regular frequent water changes should help dilute the remaining copper to even lower levels. I'd employ these methods for several weeks, then, after continued water testing indicates undetectable copper levels, begin slow and judicious stocking of invertebrates in the system. Proceed with caution.

You can try this.
Old 03/13/2007, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Is this the same LFS that told you a mandarin was ok in your tank too?

The thread...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1060642
Old 03/13/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I read that thread. Based on the thread that was just deleted and what she says in that one, I'm suprised she hasn't started swearing at you guys yet.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 03/13/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Ah. Maybe the LFS had her treat the Mandarin with copper and she did it in the display tank.
Same solutions Jenn Get the Poly Filter, do water changes, test for copper until you get no trace of copper in the tank. Then proceed most slowly from there.
Hope it works out for you.

Henry out....