Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Lionfish hanging with clown

I was given a 2" maroon clown by a friend. He did not like the fish as it would always bite him when he was in the tank. He told me that he had been trying to starve it for months, but evidently it got enough food fromt the tank. Anyhow, she hid the first night, was pestered by my large yellow tang the second day and now is doing well. My wife was concerned as she kept swimming right up in front of my 10"Volitan's mouth. She has been in for about five days now and the Lion stays right beside her! I am quite sure she would fit in his mouth. I would not know how to discribe theire behavior, but my wife stated that he seemed smitten by her! Any input from anyone? I would take a pic, but I have never tried to compress any of my digital pictures and I do not know how to get them to the size permitted by reef central.
Old 02/18/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Wow. that sounds cool. Wonder if the lionfish got something up its sleeve. lol.

With the pictures i usually just right-click on my mouse,then go to Resize OR go to file and resize OR to tools and resize(some programs are different). Then post. Hope i helped some what.
Old 02/18/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Old 02/18/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Old 02/18/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

That's very cool. I'm sure it's nothing to go out and try but just like cats and dogs getting along I am sure the same can happen with fish.
Old 02/19/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

I think you should have a word with your friend about him trying to starve his livestock...
Old 02/19/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

He has several tanks, his reefs look great. He just had it out for this fish. It took several times talking to him to take the time to break down his reef to catch him to give him to me. As is was his daugthers were feeding her. I have never had an experience with a fish that resulted in me being cruel. I did know one other guy who flushed a $100 trigger that destroyed his tank. It took him a month to catch him and he was so sick of the fish he went down the toilet instead of back to the lfs. Can I expect this relationship to work? This morning I noticed that the clown was sleeping beside the lionfish!
Old 02/19/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Looks like some one found a big ole friend.
Old 02/19/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Those pictures are so great! Wonder what you get when you cross a lion fish and a clown? Perhaps a Clion?
Old 02/20/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Some lions just aren't fish aggressive, especially when they've never had feeder fish to eat.
I used to have a large volitans (who later died when his QT split at the seams) and two small domino damsels. They were like the best buds with the damsels often swimming in between his spines. They would hang out around him too at feeding time, grabbing up bits of food when he was eating. One day one of the damsels got too excited by the food and got too close to the lion's mouth. In an instant he was snatched up. The lion held the damsel in his mouth for a second or two thinking things over, then he spit out the damsel and grabbed the piece of food! Other than a torn fin or two the damsel was fine but he never got close to that mouth again!!

I bet these two remain friends for a long time!
Old 02/20/2007, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

In my first tank I had a lionfish who had no problem being friendly towards my damsels/clowns, etc. I guess it depends on the temperament of the lion.
Old 02/28/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Keep the pics. You may need them to remember your clown. i had a lion and a clown that were friends. Then one day, I just had a lion.
Old 03/01/2007, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

lol