Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/26/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

How do I plumb this tank?

I bought a used 70 gallon Oceanic tank from someone who had it drilled and installed an internal overflow box. This is my first RR tank and I'm not sure how to plumb it. My other tanks are not drilled and I am using an external box. He told me that the overflow makes a lot of noise and that he had a bunch of bioballs in it to keep it quiet. I'd like to find another way to do this. The overflow only has two sides and is in the middle of the tank. There is a single baffle drilled on the bottom of the back glass. He also told me that the hole was one and a half inches and the baffle one inch. I know that pics will help to visualize it so I'll try to post some tomorrow. BTW the tank is 36 x 18 x 24.
Old 02/26/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Without pics, it's really going to be hard to tell you how to do it...
Old 02/27/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Here are some pics.

I measured to pipe coming out of the back and it is 1 1/2 " inside diameter.

Here is a pic of the inside of the overflow box. There is a plastic square protruding out of the baffle. (???)
Old 02/27/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Overflows with no backup kinda skerrr me...

Hypothetical.. a snail gets jammed in the drain to the sump.. but the return pump is still pumping water into the tank right? but it cant DRAIN back into the sump? .. you can see where im going with this.. the tank will overflow until the sump chamber with the pump is dry..

its best to have 2 drains in my opinion..
Old 02/27/2007, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

I understand where you are coming from but nevertheless there is only one drain. So, with that in mind, what choices do I have when plumbing this type of setup? Could I use the internal box for something else and just get a hob overflow?
Old 02/27/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Unless I’m missing something here, the whole thing could be quieted down by simply putting in a Durso/Stockman set up. Properly configured, such a set up would also help reduce the chance of things getting in there to clog the output.
Old 02/27/2007, 02:35 PM
Unregistered Member

just put a 90 on the piece of PVC coming out of the back of the tank and run some more PVC into the sump.
I guess you could block the hole up and not use the overflow, but that would not make much sense.
Your plumbing should be a fairly easy job! If you are worried about something getting in the hole-I would put some gutter guard around the top of the overflow. good luck
Old 02/27/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I presume from the posts that the channels cut into the overflow do not extend all the way to the top of the tank; hence, snails and objects getting into it. If true, I suggest you get some scrap acrylic and fabricate and extension to close any gaps that may exist. That should prevent anything but water from entering. As mentioned - a tuned standpipe will quiet the water noise.
Old 02/27/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Old 02/27/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beach Native
Unless I’m missing something here, the whole thing could be quieted down by simply putting in a Durso/Stockman set up. Properly configured, such a set up would also help reduce the chance of things getting in there to clog the output.
i agree 100%. use a durso and intall a mesh in hte intake to prevent a cloging. no bio balls needed and will be very quiet. search for www.dursostandpipes.com and your all set. lmk if you need help

edit- btw it will coast you about $5-$10 if that to make the durso so don't buy a premade one
Old 02/27/2007, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I was thinking about putting a Durso standpipe. Do I need to put anything over the bulkhead hole inside the overflow box? And what is the plastic square inside the bulkhead for? Where is the water line supposed to be inside the overflow box?

Lee, when you speak of channels are you talking about the holes at the top of the overflow box? If so, the holes have a ledge at the top not gaps. In other words, the holes are closed in.

I have a Rio+ 1700 pump to put in the sump (which I plan on making out of a Rubbermaid type container - can't see spending $300+ on a sump/refug.) Will that be sufficient or do I need a bigger pump? The last time I set up an aquarium I had a lfs choose my equipment for me. Therefore, I don't have much experience deciding which equipment to use. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02/27/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Seagirl for the link. I probably will need more help so be ready!
Old 02/27/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oicu2
Yeah, I was thinking about putting a Durso standpipe. Do I need to put anything over the bulkhead hole inside the overflow box? And what is the plastic square inside the bulkhead for? Where is the water line supposed to be inside the overflow box?

Lee, when you speak of channels are you talking about the holes at the top of the overflow box? If so, the holes have a ledge at the top not gaps. In other words, the holes are closed in.

I have a Rio+ 1700 pump to put in the sump (which I plan on making out of a Rubbermaid type container - can't see spending $300+ on a sump/refug.) Will that be sufficient or do I need a bigger pump? The last time I set up an aquarium I had a lfs choose my equipment for me. Therefore, I don't have much experience deciding which equipment to use. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
i'm confused? what do you mean something over the bulkhead hole? the durso goes into bh, then you put something over the intak of the durso to keep things out. The intake for the durso is the end of the top 90 elbow. not sure what plastic square your refering too?
The water line should only be about 1" below bottom of skimmer teeth imo, make for least amount of water noise.

As far as the sump, no need to spend $300. Just get a regular glass aquarim, cut 4 baffles of plexi or glass and silicom them in to fit you equipment needs. Very easy to do, not expensive and takes little time. would be better than a rm container imo.
Old 02/27/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Seagirl,

I hadn't realized that the Durso standpipe went over the internal bulkhead until I went to the website to see how it is made. Sorry for the confusion. As for the plastic square..if you look at the last picture above that shows the inside of the box, you can see a plastic square thing sticking out of the hole. It was there when I bought the tank and I'm not sure what it is there for.

That's a great idea using a tank for a sump. I'll give it a try. I've seen others make a sump that way but didn't think it was going to be easy. Stick around, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I proceed.