Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2007, 02:44 PM
I yam what I yam

Need QUIET return pump

OK, just as the tittle states. I'm looking for the quiest pump available that's comparable to a sequence dart as far as flow. I have a Dart now but it's juts not quiet enough.

I'm also looking for a pump comparable to a Sedra 9000 submersiable for my skimmer. Again something quiet. This tank sits next to my bedroom and it's just a bit nosiey right now.

I know that a Iwakia is quiet as I have a 30. However it does not flow enough. I have a 1 1/2" inlet for the dart from my sump so I can fit just about anything. I know the red dragons are supposed to be quiet but they are way expensive. If I can go another route, I will. If not, then I may have to break down and get the dragon. Thanks for any help.

Links would be nice too.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 02/23/2007, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

For the sedra 9000, I'd get an eheim 1262. The one I have is silent.

I don't know of any pumps that do 3600 gph that are more quiet than a dart. I have heard great things about red dragons, but they are very expensive.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

just got an oceanrunner 900gph, they have a larger version - but the 900gph is silent.. quieter than my old rio that did 500 gph less.

the pump is about one foot away from my head when i sleep at night.

5g nano soon
Old 02/23/2007, 09:46 AM
I yam what I yam

Interesting. Does oceanrunner make a larger pump?

I've run Iwakias and they are super quiet, or at least the ones I had. I guess if I had to, I could run 2 smaller pumps on the return.

I've got an ehiem for a return on my smaller tank and yes it is quiet. May have to look into those.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 02/23/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Check this out...heard good things about this pump...quiet...powerful...cool running and on sale!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113041
Old 02/23/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Eheim is a great choice also...but the 1262 (largest) puts out around 900 GPH
Old 02/23/2007, 03:20 PM
I yam what I yam

Looked at several pumps and nothing compares to the Dart I have running now, 2400 GPH at 8' head, 160 watts. I may however try to replace the Sedra 9000's in the skimmer with something else.

Right now the tank is not enclosed so the noise is a bit louder than it probably will be once I enclose it. However, the skimmer IS in a cabinet and I can still hear the hum of the Sedra's. So maybe that's a place to start.