Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2007, 10:51 PM
RC Mod

Marcye made a very important post,

Please do keep in mind that collecting is a great deal of fun and I don't believe anyone is taking exception with that. But nationwide, campaigns are being launched to educate people about the potential problems associated with returning wildlife from tanks back into the wild. Even creatures collected from local waters, once introduced into a tank with non-native species, are exposed to diseases and parasites often not found in the local waters in which they were collected. Rereleasing these creatures back into local waters after being exposed to non-native species can also release disease and parasites our local fish have no immunity to or that there is no local control for in the wild. Please don't take this as "bashing" but instead as a forum to educate and share opinions and knowledge.

The coast of California and the Mediterranean sea have been compromised by the introduction of exotic species. Guess who got blamed for both of those introductions of exotic species ? As aquarists we're held to a higher standard.
Old 02/19/2007, 10:52 PM
smellthat? ya,that was me

ANYWAYS when I caught some with my friend he tolod me that they were not reef safe. sorry If i miss informed you. but the id was right, so your welcome.
Old 02/20/2007, 07:33 AM
Anemone Freak

PLaya, we are having a hard time with the ID. The liveaquaria site doesnt show Jade Filefish are local to Florida. But If I would have took a picture of the fish, you would have swore that is what it was, Including the Jade eyes. It looked way different than the common planehead filefish.

I guess whether they are reef safe, depends on what you consider reef safe to be. They can potentially eat inverts. But hey so does our goby and i cant get him to stop. haha
Old 02/20/2007, 07:34 AM
Anemone Freak

Agu, I agree Marcye's post was very useful. If all the post would have been as professional as hers, I dont think there would have been an issue to begin with.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:18 AM
Dazed and confused.......

DOH!!

Old 02/20/2007, 09:08 AM
Reefneck.

I have learned a great deal from this thread and Im thankful for the useful input. Im just sorry that all this had to occur because of Pixie asking for an ID.

~Becca
Old 02/20/2007, 10:14 AM
This is my Passion

My goal is just to get everyone to research first. I should have articulated that in a way that was'nt as abrasive. I hope there are'nt hard feelings.
Old 02/20/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

I guess I'm a little lost on how this thread was so horrible. Heck people even pm'ed me about it. What good is a Bulletin Board if not to share ideas and let people know what each of us as individuals and a hobby think and feel? I guess my only gripe is that some folks thought this was a bad thing...
Old 02/20/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loosbrew
I guess I'm a little lost on how this thread was so horrible. Heck people even pm'ed me about it. What good is a Bulletin Board if not to share ideas and let people know what each of us as individuals and a hobby think and feel? I guess my only gripe is that some folks thought this was a bad thing...
I would say that this thread turned into a "bad thing" when people crossed the respect line and starting calling us ignorant-theres no reason for that.
Old 02/20/2007, 11:07 PM
President emeritus, ORCA

The quotation of the "ignorant" comment was not of your actions or of anything related to you. You need to reread why that was initially said. Reread the post that it was about...he has it in quotation. I don't think anyone should be on opposite sides in this discussion; it shouldn't be an arguement but rather a discussion. Respect must be given in both directions. If it is going to be asked for then it must be returned. Calling a comment of someone(not even you) ignorant may in some cases be necessary. The post this was about was demeaning to a good friend of mine and to a good friend of many people in this club. He came to the defense of someone who was somewhat attacked for expressing a viewpoint. I could start dragging quotes from the first page again, but anyone interested enough to reread what started this situation will do so without me regurgitating the facts again.
Old 02/20/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't everyone feel we should just put this one to rest? Is it really worth all the stress that some of you are putting yourselves through? I wouldn't think so...

Everthing that has been written in this thread the last few days has been bickering for lack of a better word. The same people keep posting the same things, just saying it a little differently.

After reading ALL the replies, I think Marcye's post said everything there was to say about the subject, and in a polite manner.

I say we put this one to rest and everyone channel all this energy and post some useful threads on the board... What do ya say???
Old 02/21/2007, 09:40 AM
Lookin for Red Yuma PM me

So I decided NOT to read all the negativity, I would like to go out with you guys, maybe bring the kids and have some fun, I promise not to rape the sea, LOL.
Old 02/21/2007, 09:49 AM
Anemone Freak

Were going to Sebastian on the 3rd or 4th, going to bring our daughter as usual.
Old 02/21/2007, 11:10 AM
Dazed and confused.......

oohh oohh oohh, I can go on the 4th! I have to work on the 3rd though.
Old 02/21/2007, 11:14 AM
Geek

I have a meet planned for the 3rd Wish you could go would love to meet you - maybe bossman would let you switch workdays?

I have to set up my QT this weekend and buy some final supplies for our nets and stuff. Can't wait - we'll have pics at least for those who cant make it.
Old 02/21/2007, 12:39 PM
Anemone Freak

BTW They have seine nets with poles at Aquatics Eco for 10$ in the garage.
Old 02/21/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

where are we going this weekend brannon? me and jason are kind of confused?
Old 02/21/2007, 09:04 PM
Anemone Freak

Matanzas Inlet. google map for crescent beach.
Old 02/23/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

I think going out and collecting is one of the best and most fun parts of this hobby. I do it every chance I get and will continue to do it. Sorry for ya if you don't live in Florida or someplace where you can do this. You'll just have to go to the LFS and buy it from someone who collected it.
Old 02/23/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

My first experience collecting was in the 70's...in HS. Got hooked ever since. We didnt know anything about salt water aquariums, not many people did. This was before skimmers..wet/dri..etc. The only technology availalbe was based on freshwater and undergravel filters.

The only way anyone learns is to go at it..and share the info with others and make improvements. One of the most amazing things is what a resource we have right here in Florida. We dont always have to spend huge buck$ for imported fish, when we have such fun things in Florida - not to mention hardy.

We used to get schools of baby mullet and snapper, seahorses, pipefish. After 90 days we sent them back and netted some more. It was all about learning, not making pets of them. I was hooked and have been ever since. We even had to make our own tanks out of silicone and used window glass from glass companies. It was a hoot! and I dont recall anyones tank ever bursting.

So...go forth...enjoy appreciate what we have learn and share!