Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

old tupperware is good, or if you can find one of those "basket" trays for silverware or cabinet storage it will allow more water movement. I've seen people make nice DIY acrylic tables, but that's not as easy.
For my skimmer, 6" deep is a bit shallow. I'm at 9-10" and am having good luck, though others may disagree. You might wait and see how it functions "real-world" in your system before elevating it quite so much.
Old 02/15/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Venturi backwards

The air inlet tube is closer to one end of the fitting. The end of the fitting that inlet tube is closer to goes away from pump.
Old 02/15/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

just purchased new RS180 for my 125 gallon 175 total system. I am running the skimmer in the return section of my sump in 10" of water. I have the riser tube all the way down with the foam on the top of the riser. My bubble level in the collection cup is perfect and already making nasty after 1 hour of operation! This beast is unbelievable and I am not having any of the noise issues I have read about. Question is, without the gate mod, how do you get the output to resemble something that is not a waterfall? Do you just raise the inside pipe and the foam up and let the water trickle down through it? Seems like a lot of excess bubble that are unnecessary. Please advise a Euro newbie.
Aquacontroller JR
2 400W MH + 2 48" VHO Actinic
Euroreef 180 CS
70 Gal Refuguim/Sump
1/2 HHP chiller - all in a fish room
Old 02/15/2007, 11:38 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by arbee
We got the gv mod delivered this am and are now working on getting the skimmer set up in the sump before we glue in any more baffles. I measured that we need to elevate the skimmer about 8 inches from the bottom of the tank (the tank is a 55 gal, 20 in high and the water level is going to be 14"). What do you use to set the skimmer on? Hubby wants to cut a bucket and set inside but I think we need something the water can flow through to alleviate junk from settling. Any suggestions?

sjm817-yep-PA does rock. They are the first ones I turn to for mail ordering most of my reef equipt.

Bend a piece of acrylic.

Clamp it down in a table and heat the edge with a heatgun and slowly bend it down. Then hold it for 30sec while it cool's down.
Old 02/16/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Nice suggestions xenon and hansmatt~thanks!
Old 02/16/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

arbee...how about a table made from zip-tied eggcrate to support the skimmer. It doesn't get much more "holey" that that.
Old 02/16/2007, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

hansmatt-that is just what we did. It was suggested by t11t5 (Terry) on his sump/fuge building thread. Turned out fine and was so easy to do.

Old 02/16/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Does debris settle under the stand, or is there enough turbulence to get it into the skimmer? BTY, love the stand and plan to make it.
Old 02/16/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

i just got my RS-135 today and i have a lot of bubbles but no real foaming yet. the bubbles are coming up to about the bottom of the collection cup but do not seem to be forming together and moving up the edge. my skimmer is sitting in 7'' of water and the valve has been taken off the airline. any tips to get this baby foaming?
Old 02/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

i'm getting some good foam now, i am still trying to figure out where the bubble level should end and foam start. currently i have it set to where the bubble stop around the bottom of the collection cup and its foam on up from there.
Old 02/17/2007, 03:15 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
I just bought and recieved a used ER 8-2. Does it originally come with the sedra9000 pump? For whatever reason, mine does not sit level with the pump, and the body isn't sealed securely with the elbow either. It's weird. There is like 2-3" of space between where the body sits and the floor, with the pump on the floor, with a standard looking ER elbow on it. I've just put a few sheets of eggcrate under it to get it to sit level, but I would veuture to guess that it's not supposed to sit like that. What's up with that? The pump does have suction cups on the bottom, and the elbow does sit as low as it can on the pump's output. Even with these issues, it's skimming like a champ right out of the box that I got it in. I'm eventually going to meshmod it, but that's for when I've got more time on my hands. Maybe spring break...
Old 02/17/2007, 03:17 PM
High Plains Drifter

Yeah, the 8-2 used to come with a 5000.
Old 02/17/2007, 03:31 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

I suspected as much... Any suggestions on whether to replace it or such? I've got a local who I talked to who has either an 8-1 or an 8-3 and he said he had the 5000, so I was suprised. Do you guys think that it'll be fine having the 9000 on there? I would imagine it to be a performance booster, unless it flows too much water or gets too much turbulence. It has however pulled out a good 2" of what my parents call "tar looking substance" from the water in only a week. I think that that's a pretty good result.

Also, does anyone on here have an extra 8" diameter ER skimmer collection cup cap? The one that came with the skimmer has a small 1.5" chip out of it in the diameter of the inner vertical tube part, if that makes any sense. Think it'll make any difference as far as performance?

Thanks ER club
Old 02/17/2007, 06:45 PM
High Plains Drifter

The 9000 is an improvement, but you'd be better off with an sp4 on an eheim if you don't do the mesh mod.

You can buy the cup lids from ER, but they're pricey IIRC. I don't think the hole in the lid will make too much difference, but if you contact ER, I'm sure they'll know the answer.
Old 02/17/2007, 08:30 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Yea I figured I would have to pay out the anus for a new one. W/e I'm sure it's not that big of a deal. I'd love to have the ehiem, but those are quite pricey, and if I'm not really looking to replace the pump. The most I would end up doing is just doing an RC mod with the existing pump, after I've seen it's performance with the meshmod.

Thanks again
Old 02/17/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

you may want to consider ordering an ASM pump of the same size. They come with a larger diameter hose and THE SAME NEEDLE WHEELE as the old ER Sedras. I wish I had an air meter because to me , it seems that larger diameter hose makes a big difference. Minus the 150.00
Old 02/17/2007, 10:41 PM
Generic Member

ReefWreak
It could be that the elbow is not original which would make the pump line up wrong. You could do a mesh mod to the pump, or get the new improved impeller for the existing pump.
Old 02/17/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

stevebla:your venturi is backward mine came the same way, call whomever you bought it from...they should be able to help you since it comes in that way and it looks like it is glued to the body of the pump, i couldnt get it out no matter what i tried....
Old 02/17/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I meant an ASM pump for the correct size for the skimmer. A lot cheeper and same product.
Old 02/17/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

I just bought a used CS100 that didnt come with a pump. Im assuming if i order the complete sp2 pump w/ impellor from euroreef's website that it comes with the new pin wheel instead of the origional needle wheel? I assume the new style would work better for me. also, would there be any benefit to getting a sp3 pump for this skimmer, or should i stick to the origional specs?
Old 02/18/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

^
Old 02/18/2007, 08:35 AM
Generic Member

That is a 6" body skimmer, 20" tall? The RS100 is right between the RS80 and RS135. The SP2 would be the normal pump for it. The SP3 might be a tad big, maybe it would work well with a little tuning.
Old 02/18/2007, 09:49 AM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

i cant remember where i saw it on this site. but someone tried the 5000 on that skimmer and it really wasnt a performance upgrade. i think with it only being 20inches tall that i would stick with the 3500 plus its better on electricity.

you could even venture out into the mesh mod like me. i havent looked back
Old 02/18/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

sp2 it is, and Im going to look into that mesh mod. I just didnt want to pass up this skimmer for sale, it was a used cs100 (no pump) for $150.....pretty good deal I thought.
Old 02/18/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Our new RC180 has arrived !! Whoo Hooo! Man - what a beast.....

Question on the feed pump - I was told the rule of thumb is it should pump roughly 1.5 - 2x the system volume. We have a 150 gal tank with a 30 gal sump.
I have a Mag 3 which should be plenty at 350gph. The plan is to plumb it in line with a valve to have some control over the flow into the skimmer.

So - as I'm taking out my CS6-1 I realized the Sedra 3500 also puts out 350 gph.
Here's the question -

What would happen if I used the Sedra with its needlewheel as the feed pump?
Could it provide more microbubbles to help inside the chamber?
Or will it cause more problems??

Thoughts??