Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Question Giant Clam problems!

I have had a giant clam in my tank for about 2 months now and it has been doing great until about 2 weeks ago. Typically the shell would be mostly closed with the beautiful colorfull body pertruding from inside. It was quick to flinch when a fish came close or I would stick something in the tank. Now, the shell is very open, and the body doesnt come out as much. The color is still there, but I think something is wrong. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Is there a problem? Water parameters have been consistent over the entire time period. What could this be?
Old 02/03/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

how old is the tank?
I'm gonna guess and say 4 or 5 months old?
Old 02/03/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

-redeye,

You are correct, its about 6 months old. One fact I forgot to incorporate is that I recently got a spinning powerhead that disperses the water in a 360 degree motion. Before I was just using a straight shot.
Old 02/03/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

is it blowing on the clam?
what parameters are you testing?
how big is clam? where is he placed? what type?
Old 02/03/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

It is not blowing directly at him at all. And it never was with the other powerhead. Parameters are: salinity 1.026, Ph 7.8, Amonia 0. I supplement that tank every day with calcium for my other softies. The clam is roughly the size of a womans fist; the species I am not certain of, but the colors are a deep purple, blue and hints of gold.
Old 02/03/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

also, he is placed on the sandbed of the tank. I assumed that he might have needed more light, so I temporarily moved it higher up on the LR. The same effect was produced so I moved him back a few days ago.
Old 02/03/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Can you get a picture of it so we can tell which kind of clam you have? There is a big difference is husbandry between clams.
Old 02/03/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Shell structure is much more vital to clam id than color, and the species also determines how much light is needed. Clams do not like abundant direct flow, so be sure that your clam isn't being blasted by your powerhead.
Old 02/03/2007, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a crocea clam. (which should be placed in the rockwork). They will bore into the rock and attach. Your clam is gaping. It is doing this do to being stressed. Water parameters for clams should include fairly high Alkalinity (9-10 dKH), calcium above 400 ppm., and pH of 8.1 or higher. They like stable parameters ie minimal temp, and pH swings. They also like a lot of light. What is your lighting?
Old 02/03/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

I dont have a camera now, but I can show you a link. This looks just like it!!!

http://www.marinefiends.com/tanks/ta...105tankpic.jpg
Old 02/03/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Its probably a crocea or possibly a maxima. Either way they need a lot of light.

What do you have for lighting?
Old 02/03/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

I have dual 100W coral life lighting. Is that sufficient? Why all the sudden has clam 'freaked out?"
Old 02/03/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E&Js
I have dual 100W coral life lighting. Is that sufficient? Why all the sudden has clam 'freaked out?"
I'm not familiar with any 100W bulbs. Does your setup have 2 96Watt PC bulbs?
Old 02/03/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

If thats what your clam looks like (Crocea) then you have one of the most light demanding clams. I can only assume you dont have enough lighting because theres no such thing as 100 watt bulbs for aquariums and Im guessing youd probably know what lights you had if you invested in a setup enough to keep this type of clam. These clams require either a quality T-5 light setup with individual parabolic reflectors or metal halide lights. This particular clam also likes to be kept on your rocks, not in the sand like other types of clams.

Like most creatures, they can live in sub-par conditions for a while but if you dont give whats required, it will eventually die.
Old 02/03/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

IMO Not enough light at all if you have it on the sandbed with 96w? Get better light or at least get him up higher (best would be more light).
just my .02
Old 02/03/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

correct, the 96 watt is what i have; I rounded up . I initially put him in the rock also, and moved him once I purchased a xenia I put next to it. It thrived in the sand until recently though. I think it was just a matter of time until the minimal light must have affected it like you said. I am going to look into an ideal light. Any suggestions/prices?
Old 02/03/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E&Js
correct, the 96 watt is what i have; I rounded up . I initially put him in the rock also, and moved him once I purchased a xenia I put next to it. It thrived in the sand until recently though. I think it was just a matter of time until the minimal light must have affected it like you said. I am going to look into an ideal light. Any suggestions/prices?
suggestions: T5 with individual reflectors, retro kits will save you money if you think you can do the wireing yourself and want to make a hood.

metal halide is the next option and i think most people will recommend 250 watts and up.

it sounds like you have a softy dominated reef, so if you upgrade your lights, do it slowly because it will burn your softys if suddenly they are getting blasted by intense lighting.
Old 02/03/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

like everyone else said, not enough lighting, clam may seen happy at first but will eventually die if not enough lighting. I would place him as high as you can until you can get new lighting, T5's or MH.