Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2007, 12:28 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

6yr old Mandarin Bailed on me, ARRRGGG!!!!

Well, had a death in the family sometime yesterday while I was at work. Over the past year this is the 4th fish I've had bail on me and the last two have somehow been able to make it through the piece of eggcrate that I have covering my tank.

I arrived home yesterday to my mandarin goby, which I have had for almost 7 years, laying on top of the piece of eggcrate that I have covering my tank.

I put the eggcrate on top of my tank after I lost two firefish in one night b/c they decided to make the leap of faith and ended up behind my tank stand. Well, I added the eggcrate and since I have lost my 6yr old (at the time) Pearly Jawfish who was able to make a clean jump through the eggcrate and land about 3 feet away from the tank and yesterday my mandarin goby which I have had for almost 7 years.

It was very sad...... I really hate loosing fish this way......

Well I'm holding off on purchasing any replacement fish until I figure a better way to combat them being able to jump out. I remember recently reading a thread about using screen material and window screen frame to construct tank covers. Anybody have a link to it or remember what it was called?

Just a word of caution to others.... I have lost 4 fish ($80+/-) in the past year, not b/c of tank crashes, other fish, contamination...etc. but b/c my tank was not properly covered. Please Be cautious, it really sucks loosing fish that have been with you for so many years.......
Old 02/02/2007, 12:36 PM
reef obsessed

That totally sucks. I know the feeling of coming home to a fish on the floor. Sorry for your loss.
Old 02/02/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

There is a rolled up black plastic mesh that HD sells to put over gutters. You may be able to tie wrap that to your eggcrate to firther reduce the hole size.
Old 02/02/2007, 01:27 PM
Secret Member

This isn't the best way but I used to have two layers of eggcrate with their holes staggered, if aligned well it can reduce the hole size to 1/4 of its original size. It looses some light but the one good thing about is eggcrate is white and is made to diffuse light.

I guess tying mosquito screen on eggcrate works too, but I'm not sure how it will compare to two layers of eggcrate, it will probably be better, or worse, I just don't know. But salt spray will cause the screen to be sticky and dirt will stick on it which will further cut off light.

I guess the best way is to have a canopy with all the opening and overflow box sealed with gutter guard. This way there will be nothing between the light and the water. Assuming the fishes don't have a penchant for sun bathing and are smart enough to jump back into the water when they land on something dry.
Old 02/02/2007, 01:50 PM
Tailspot Blenny

wow, i didn't know mandarins had the throttle power to launch out of a tank =X
Old 02/02/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Put a glass cover on the tank!!
People are fooling themselves when they believe egg crate doesn't block the light. Measure the size or the "holes" and the thickness of the plastic. I calculated it one time and the egg crate itself blocks 10--20% of the light. That's no better than glass.
As for air exchange--put a fan on the sump.
Lets keep the fish IN the tank. R
Old 02/02/2007, 02:57 PM
Tailspot Blenny

eggcrate is also called light diffuser. so he's right, it'll diffuse the light.

starphire glass top would be really nice.
Old 02/02/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the loss, you should build a canopy
Old 02/02/2007, 03:36 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
eggcrate is also called light diffuser. so he's right, it'll diffuse the light.

starphire glass top would be really nice.
Yeah, it'll diffuse the light that gets through it, which is less than 80%. Tall hoods are the way too keep fish in.

Eggcrate and small fish just leads to fish on top of the eggcrate.
Old 02/02/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Is this the thread you were thinking of.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 02/02/2007, 04:50 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Thanks for the link petoonia... That's what I needed.

Heat is the main reason that I can't do many of the things that you guys are talking about. Trust me I've already ran through alot of this.

My tank is in my sunroom and during the summertime I really have a battle to keep the heat under control in both the room and the tank. This past fall I installed a tin roof as opposed the semi-clear plastic roof that was on the sunroom. Hopefully this summer the tin will keep at least some of the heat under control.

I tried the glass and my tank hit almost 90 deg the first day. I tried enclosing my hood and the temp soared. I do have a hood it is just raised about 6+/- inches off the waters surface to allow for air circulation and heat dissapation. I also have a fan blowing accross the water surface and my sump.

Along with re-roofing the sunroom (which needed it anyways) I have reduced my lighting from dual 400w MH to dual 175w MH in hopes of combatting some of the heat for this summer. I have also installed an airconditioner in the sunroom.

I guess I'm off to build a screen cover this weekend.....

Thanks for all the ideas and support...
Old 02/02/2007, 04:59 PM
Tailspot Blenny

that really sucks. have you considered a chiller?
Old 02/02/2007, 05:20 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

Sorry for your losses, that definitely sucks. Is there a way to build a "fence" around the rim of your tank that they can't jump over?

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 02/02/2007, 05:28 PM
Flowalicious

Theres a thread in the DIY forum about clear mesh tops. Thats the way I'd go.
Old 02/02/2007, 05:31 PM
Grand High Puba

I think glass is a bad idea for all of the reasons stated above.
Old 02/02/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

sorry for your loss, a hood will keep em in, they can bounce off the wall and back in they go.. Dont go with glass.....
Old 02/02/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Fiberglass mesh is what most people around here use. Just make sure the screening material is not metal. Light reduction is pretty minimal with this mesh.
Old 02/02/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. That was a longtime to have one.
I also can't have a cover on my tank, and wouldn't put glass even if I could. But what I find works well is basically to "fence" the outside edge all around totally in as well as the sides of the overflows. For tiny fish like baby clown gobies I use a plastic mesh that they sell at craft stores for embrodery. For firefish and smaller type gobies this plastic gutter gaurd works excellent on top of the egg crate. Cut to fit and tie with tiny nylon ties. Here's a pic.