Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2006, 11:52 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Asian Market in So Chas near Taste of Asia sell them by the pound. You do know most of the salts we use say not intended for food grade applications.
Old 12/17/2006, 01:34 PM
5 & Over Club

Re: Lobster fest

Quote:
Originally posted by H.crispa
[BI know, I'm either a pragmatic genious who loves to eat lobster or an insensitive bass turd who is willing to kill his "pet" when it gets big enough to eat and replace it with a smaller one. [/B]
If you ever invite me to eat stir-fry I'll want an accurate head count of the dogs and cats first
Quote:
You do know most of the salts we use say not intended for food grade applications.
Whoever maintains the lobster tanks at Kroger use to buy IO from Jim.

Rock cooking it's what curing use to be.
Old 12/18/2006, 01:47 PM
Zen Reefer

Yes Ron, I am aware of that. However, they mean that you are not supposed to cook with it ya dingbat.

You know-- there IS ONE kind of "job" that you can get that does NOT disqualify you for unemployment!
Old 12/18/2006, 05:17 PM
Zen Reefer

Asian market is a no go. They only have Maine lobster.

You know-- there IS ONE kind of "job" that you can get that does NOT disqualify you for unemployment!
Old 01/06/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Lobster fest

[ Whoever maintains the lobster tanks at Kroger use to buy IO from Jim. [/B][/QUOTE]
The "Lobster salt" is actually made by IO, same stuff they use in Red Lobster and Kroger.
Old 01/10/2007, 03:32 AM
Zen Reefer

Reflections

If you would have told me 20 years ago that I would have a beautiful reeftank I would have told you to go see a therapist. I got talked into taking care of a few FW tanks at River's Edge, I got hooked, eventually I started playing around with SW, next thing you know I'm into the reef thing. Back then (10ish years ago), I was apprehensive about reef aquariums because I was under the impression that all corals die in an aquarium, all fish die and none are bred in captivity--- bla bla bla. At the time this was shamefully more true than I want to admit. Basically, I felt guilty about having these animals because I always had this doubt in the back of my mind, that they were all of the sudden going to die with no warning or apparent cause. They never did. Yes I have had deaths and most were basket cases-- rescue animals that didn't make it. Some have been due to power outages. Some have been due to my own ignorance or stupidity. I hate that but if anyone throws stones at me for that, he or she had better be without sin... I didn't think so.

One day I go into JoMo's and there is a "captive propagated" torch coral. I was floored! I did not think this was possible! To actually GROW corals and "breed" them in captivity??? BS! It was epoxied to a bud vase. I use that same technique to this day. I still have that coral... and so do many of you! Many of them are probably still attached to the bud vase I grew them on.

Making my own lights, filters, skimmers, ozone generators, bla bla bla-- all this stuff is so readily available now that making it yourself is not needed. Captive propagation is now the norm. Captive fish breeding is leaping forward at light speed. I never thought that this hobby would progress this quickly.

Just shows you what a free-market economy can do for a global environmental cause-- without even trying.

Old 01/11/2007, 12:14 AM
Zen Reefer

sand bed

If you are not comfortable with trying an idea, run it by a reefer with more experience than you have. Actually, run it by SEVERAL reef geeks! There is a good chance that you either have an idea that is something that someone has thought of b4 that either worked or did not, or a workable new idea. If the new idea won't kill all your stuff and the people you consult agree-- then try it!

Worst case-- (post consult) nothing happens. Best case-- you discover something new that everyone benefits from.

Bottom line is that we are all scientists, experimenting with our captive reefs. There is a certain degree of risk with this. There is a degree of uncertainty in all of our tanks. If you don't like that, you are in the wrong hobby. I've been at this for over 10 years and yet I'm no Julian Sprung. Julian is no jacque cousteau. We all stand on the platform built by those who came before us. The things we discover today will be the platform of the reefers of tomorrow.

We all must take calculated risks in order to advance our hobby. Go froth, be fruity and multiplex!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01/18/2007, 02:17 PM
Zen Reefer

More fun with photoshop

My stepson Adam at the computer.

Old 01/19/2007, 02:15 PM
Zen Reefer

Next meeting

I have been putting a lot of time into my business plan and remodeling the bathroom lately and I have not been keeping up with all the mini-projects and consultative-ish kind of stuff with the club as much. Be assured that at this next meet, I will touch base with all of you on all the questions and stuff you have asked me about on your various projects. I have not forgotten you. I will be there. Make sure you are too! This meet is going to be a barn-burner.