Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

No that elbow is a durso. same o same o.
Old 01/04/2007, 01:43 AM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by My F1sh R D34D!
No that elbow is a durso. same o same o.
The one in the cube?
Old 01/04/2007, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

Yes. If I turn it up I will get a gurgling noise. Down right water will still flow down it. The cube is aprx. 5'' above the sump.
Old 01/04/2007, 01:53 AM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by My F1sh R D34D!
Yes. If I turn it up I will get a gurgling noise. Down right water will still flow down it. The cube is aprx. 5'' above the sump.
I never would have thought to use one in that situation...do you have an air valve on top of that elbow?
Old 01/04/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

I have a ball valve to regulate flow into the cube. The water will not be entering the pipe the way upright overflow dursos do. Water is literally entering the pipe horizontally, all you need to control is the water coming in to the cube, that way you can tune down with what the pipe will allow.

Unlike an overflow durso, there will always be air in them, due to the way the pipe is bringing water down the drain.
Old 01/04/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Mesh Wheel mod 101.

Want to turn that cheap venturi pump into a state of the art, 1/32-1/64 bubble producing pump....

Will read, and watch as I destroy my sedra 5000 KSP impeller to make it a killer mod!!!!

Here is how the impeller of a sedra 5000 KSP pump looks. To remove impeller stick finger into output of pump and lift the acrylic disk up. The magnet on these pumps are so strong that its really hard to simply pull it out grabbing the white rod.

$75.00 impeller ready to get diced up with some cutters.

After: I didnt completley smooth off the pins I left about an eighth left to help sponge remain more intact.

Material. Same mesh used in your $800.00 skimmers. Mavgi aka Mike sent me a sheet for me to use. PF4 material/nylon.

Ziptied, and tied in. The sedra pumps already have holes in acrylic disk so I just simply looped and tied. REAL TIGHT!!!

Next you need to trim around acrylic disk, and put into pump and back unitll you see no material hitting the housing of the pump or into the volute of the venturi.

PERFECT FIT! no just twist back the cover of pump, and connect venturi and airline for testing.

SG 1.022 That looks like foam eh??!!

After 1 minute of running in bucket, it left what was crystal clear SW milky. Also reccomend the pump and impeller can dispense some of the mesh.

Old 01/04/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Test into skimmer.

You know its perfect when you cant see water at all the skimmer. Though there is water in there the bubbles need to be so small that it should make it look like you stuck your neighboors poodle in there.

Old 01/04/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Heres a clearer pic. I mean WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/05/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

Do you have any before pics of the reaction chamber? Have you measured the airflow yet? Do you think you'll need to restrict the air intake with a valve now that the pump is pulling more air? Last question, is it noticeably louder... to the point where you may notice it over ambient tank noise?

I've been thinking of doing this mod to my ER CS6-1/Sedra3500. I just bought a new pump because the impeller assembly/magnet was toast in the old unit. So I have an old pump body, and would just need a new magnet (don't even need to spring fo the NW version as I could epoxy a plate to mount the mesh onto using a standard 3500 magnet. Anyhow, some before and after comparisons would be really cool.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01/05/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Good job, I'm waiting for my mesh from magvi. I have a G3 as well, do you notice the skimmer being louder after the mod? Also is the bottom of the skimmer chamber filled with bubbles also? Would you be able to take a full shot of the skimmer body?

Now I can't wait till my mesh arrive lol.
Old 01/05/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

flat broke: Skimmer works and sounds completley the same. You need to trim the mesh down so that it can function properly. Maybe a stonger suction noise. But my house is always loud....lol.

IsaaX:Bottom of skimmer isnt filled, when pipe is all the way down. But as I raised it the skimmer got quiter and was working abit harder. Need to be carefull with this mod you can overdrive pump if you make impeller work to hard. Bubbles shouldnt be under the iput unless you add pvc pieces to angle the bubbles to shoot down. Under the input it should be clear, that way you can minimize bubbles exiting the skimmer.
Old 01/05/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

I know you don't have an air meter and no before/after pics. I'm curious, do you think it made a HUGE difference? Significant enough to say it's about 50% more? Are the bubbles smaller? Is it much whiter in the skimmer body? I'm thinking about doing this to my 5000 too.

Rich
Old 01/05/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Dude I dont get impressed that easy. I can tell you the skimmer has twice if not 3 times the amount of bubbles in the chamber with this mod. It is by far chopping up the water wayyyy better, and my riser tube is soooo low and the foam is building up into the neck.

They say in a few days after the mesh adjust's it should be ok to play with the riser tube/gate valve.
Old 01/05/2007, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

You're only using 2 layers? Did the DIY thread recommend that you not cut the needles all the way? What do you mean that you have to watch out for overdriving the pump? I have the Mavgi material on the way too.
Old 01/05/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Also, have you seen anyone reporting that the mod ruined their pump other than the cut up NW impellar?
Old 01/05/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

No. There is noy way the mesh can do a thing. Its a simple mod, no side effects. Its only mesh. Same impeller, same magnet within, your only adding mesh to the kick, replacing the pins with mesh, but you do need to remove the NW pins in order to not raise the KW use of the pump.
Old 01/05/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

You can overwork the impeller. NW pins spinning at high speeds is alot of friction withing the water and force of pins through water. If you leave the pins and add mesh you will make it almost impossible for the impeller to even start. Its like using trashcan size paddles to swim underwater. A human doesnt have that strenghth to move them as fast as we can move our hands.
Old 01/05/2007, 02:43 AM
Registered Member

I'm guessing that by trading the rather dense pins for the mesh, you are significantly reducing the rotating mass on the needlewheel; and the subsequent benefit is actually not so much from the mesh itself, but the extra RPM the pump can now spin with the same input wattage.

Sounds like I need to contact the guy with the mesh and order up a new magnet for the old pump. If you happen to have a link for the thread you're refering to, feel free to post it up. Either way, thanks for the heads up.

Chris
Old 01/05/2007, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

His name is Mike, heres his pm info, ask him if he can sell you some. He will ship in an envelope...got mine in 2 days for $2.50
http://reefcentral.com/forums/privat...&userid=107342
Old 01/05/2007, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

Thanks.

Chris
Old 01/05/2007, 11:01 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
i wonder what that mod would do to a Deltec?

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 01/05/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
Try it? Cut that NW impellar apart! haha
Old 01/05/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

That is really cool. It would be interesting to see how often you would need to clean the impeller after the mod. Does the impeller collect debris more easily after the mod?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 01/05/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
LoL you saw the thread in the DeltecUSA forum. I think they're either chicken or in denial... Or both lol.

Try it! I'm planning on purchasing a APF600 in the very near future so I was curious about the mod on the AB pump myself.
Old 01/05/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Deltec already makes mesh impellers for their skimmer. I dont even check the deltec forum, but ask Doug about em.