Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2006, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

help with nano not anuf h20 and heat issues.

OK this is a 2005 model jbj 12 gallon deluxe set it up with established sand and liverock from my 125 gallon reef. waited three weeks testing the water just incase of a small cycle. Besides temp swings that im having problems with likes to hover around 82 degree's with the hood closed i put a small fan on high next to it and that keeps it around 81. But here is the #1 problem put two clown fish in there and they kept acting like they where suffering for air. and soon anuf at night they where barely breathing. So i scooped em up and threw em in my sump of the 125 where one passed cause he got sucked up by my skimmer pump. Thats my fault. But the other is recovering. It is a stock set up with the bio balls removed and a carbon bag put in the middle chamber. Is it just not anuf surface agatation or what with the stock pump? Also would switching to a mj 900 with the single nozzle be anuf or am im going to have to split it? Will this cut down on some of the heat issues im having.

This is my g/f tank of her very own since she wants to learn more about taking care of it since she watches me work on our 125.
Old 12/29/2006, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

heres a couple things i can think of off the top of my head (which at 7 am is sayin alot! )

did you acclimate the fish properly? Take at least 45 minutes to do it, preferably an hour. If you just dump them in there, you may put them into shock and this could happen.

second..you said you were testing the water, but then you said you just put the clowns in...was the water even ready before you put them in? This may sound like a dumb question, or i may be just reading it wrong, but the way you typed it kinda made it sound like you just put them in before it was even ready. And whenever you start a new tank with rock that is fully established (and sand too. Oh, and with live sand, when you move it, you'll get small spikes cuz it kicks stuff up) you should always maybe put some food in the tank for a few days in a row just to see if that alone causes any spikes. If it does, then the tank is still not ready. But maybe by putting the clowns in so early, they wree just too much for the bioload?

just a couple ideas
Old 12/29/2006, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

IN the first line of the original post you will see i stated that the water and rock had been in the nano for three weeks with the water quality tested dailly incase of amonia spikes.

The fish where aclimated fine. Not quite 45 min but a good 30 with a little bit of the tanks water added every few min.

Everything seems fine except the lack of oxegen in the water. The other fish that didnt even get aclimated to my 125 gallon i just threw him in the sump once i found him sucked up agains the nano's back wall. He is doing fine now swiming as happy as can be and ate well as soon as i threw him some food.