Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2006, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

bending acrylic...anyone done it?

Has anyone in the group bent acrylic before?

I need to bend a 6" radius in a piece of 1/4" acrylic.

I can build a semi-circle jig, but don't have a way of heating it that I can think of.

Any input would be helpful.

speakeraddict
Old 12/27/2006, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

use a propane torch...you can find them at ACE for about $15 or even wal-mart carries them. Just heat lightly!!!
Old 12/27/2006, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

I use my electric stove, turn on a burner and heat the plastic. But if you heat to fast it will bubble.
Old 12/27/2006, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

How large is the piece you are bending? Heat gun (liked used for paint removing) is a very controllable source of heat if the piece isn't too large.
Old 12/27/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

8Ball made two beautiful hexagonal sumps good enough for display tanks. He uses a heat strip which obviously does a beautiful job. I use my heat gun to bend acrylic strips, but I have to be very careful not to let the acrylic bubble up underneath the surface. If an acrylic plate is thick, it takes a long time to heat it evenly hot. My heat gun shuts down for awhile (very annoying) when I work with a thick acrylic strip.

Tomoko
Old 12/28/2006, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

The piece is going to be 1/4" thick and 16" wide and be a semi circle bend with a 6" radius.

The actual piece the bend is going in is 96" long so the heat source will have to be moveable.

IOW looking at it from the top it will look like a big U

Yes, this is going to be a bullnose end on a penninsula tank. The top and bottom will be easy enough. Just glue on an oversize piece then flush trim to fit. The whole thing will be made out of one 4 x 8 sheet of acrylic.

I actually thought about building a semi circle jig covered with carpet, clamping the sheet to one side of it and slowly heating it with a heat gun and clamping around the jig as it softens, that way it can be done gradually enough not to have a huge heater or risk bubbling the piece.

I will try this on a smaller scale and post pics....if it works!

speakeraddict
Old 12/29/2006, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

lol Tys for the compliment Tomoko. And your right I used a heating element made for bending Acrylic.. I use it for larger peices. But its only 3/4 wide so it only heats up an area large enough to do an angle.

It would be tough to do. You would need to Build a solid jig for the bend. You would probably have to use a tourch for this kind of bend. The problem is to get a curve you would have to heat up a large area. Once the acrylic gets to the right tempiture it will be very easy to bend. You have to heat it up enough to the point where it bends without any force.. If you dont heat it up enough and force the bend it will cause stress cracks in the acrylic that ill make it weak and ofcourse look bad. The other problem is that when acrylic is heated up and bent it distorts it. I would for sure practice on smaller peices. Heating it to the point it bends without burning it or causing bubbles it tough. It takes some practice. GL

Will

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Old 12/29/2006, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

OK, nevermind!

Standard 55 it is!

HAHA!

I just had the idea and thought I might be able to pull it off.

speakeraddict
Old 12/29/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

i have an acrylic sheet bender ,, if any one want to travel to montgomery to use it there more than welcome to do so
Old 12/29/2006, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Really? That would be incredible.

I will pm you and we can work something out.

speakeraddict