Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2006, 10:17 PM
Ruger dog

Skimmer help

I cant't get the new skimmer to work Its an ASM g3. I can't get it to adjust. It's my first real skimmer so I don't know what I'm doing. I could use some advise.
Old 12/04/2006, 10:40 PM
GO BEARS!!

The exit pipe (the one with the sponge on it) will pull up and push down to raise/lower the water level in the skimmer. Sometimes you have to twist it back and forth to get it to break loose so you can raise and lower it. If you are doing that and it is up all the way and just not producing anything you may have to wait a bit as some people say they need a break in period. You may want to add the gate valve mod to fine tune it. They sell them on the ASM website or you can DIY it. HTH

Ryan
Old 12/04/2006, 10:43 PM
GO BEARS!!

Oh by the way, change you tank info you no longer have a crappy berlin skimmer

Ryan
Old 12/05/2006, 06:44 AM
Ruger dog

Thank you, It sounds like I need a fine touch that I don't posses, maybe tuning the simmer will be the Wifes job
Old 12/05/2006, 08:47 AM
Hopeless addict

What is it doing? Are you not getting foam, or are you getting too much foam? Is anything making it to the cup?
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 12/05/2006, 04:10 PM
Ruger dog

I try to tune it so that the foam line is right at the top of the stem inside of the cup and occasionally it erupts into the cup and overflows it. My current theory is thatmy over flow is out pacing my return pump(signified by a toilet flushing sound) and since the skimmer is in the chamber that the overflow empties into the level changes and the skimmer flips out and erupts.
Old 12/05/2006, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

your overflow should outpace your return pump or you'd overflow your tank. You can quiet down your overflow with a "Durso" standpipe or a "Stockman" standpipe.
Old 12/05/2006, 05:41 PM
Cancer Sucks

If the water level in the chamber with the skimmer changes, then that is likely your problem. That level should always be the same. Like vgibbens said, what kind of overflow do you have?

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/05/2006, 05:41 PM
Cancer Sucks

double post

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
Old 12/05/2006, 06:54 PM
Ruger dog

I built my own stand pipe, I 'm not sure this is my problem as I havn't seen the water level change. The toilet sound seems to be new and itkind of goes with the skimmer freaking out
Old 12/05/2006, 07:07 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by azrednex
and since the skimmer is in the chamber that the overflow empties into the level changes and the skimmer flips out and erupts.
Quote:
Originally posted by azrednex
I 'm not sure this is my problem as I havn't seen the water level change.
I guess I misunderstood you. I guess you meant the level in the overflow changes but the skimmer chamber stays the same?

Old 12/05/2006, 09:58 PM
Ruger dog

Quote:
Originally posted by MSM
I guess I misunderstood you. I guess you meant the level in the overflow changes but the skimmer chamber stays the same?
No you undestood me fine. I just stated this as my current THEORY,I was not sure because I hadn't seen the level change and I was throwing that out there to see if it would ring any bells.