Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2006, 10:45 PM
Moved On

Life Oceanic - Live rock ?

Has anyone heard of or made a purchase for Live Rock at Life Oceanic in Gibsonton/Apollo Beach?

Their website says Fiji LR for $2.99, but don't want to waste my time if it's no good. How bad can it be?
Old 11/27/2006, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

I bought a bunch from them when I set my tank up back in July. It was pretty decent. They had Fiji for 2.99 & Tonga branch for 5.99.

They went out of business though, I think. They sent me a note saying they were relocating but I haven't heard of them surfacing again.
Old 11/27/2006, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

great rock... i bought a few lbs and it was very nice. They have relocated and are open again. They are located further...North? on US 41, (if you are coming from I75 and you're on Big bend road, just take a right on US 41) i dont know the exact address but once i find out, ill let you know.
Old 11/28/2006, 12:39 AM
Moved On

This is from their website:

Our facility is conveniently located at 5815 US HWY 41 North in Apollo Beach, just south of Tampa. Please call 813-649-1000 or email for further information.

Is this the new location?
Old 11/28/2006, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

No, thats their old location, they havnt changed it yet, I would definetly call them though, the phone number is the same.
Old 11/28/2006, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

just be careful of certian sales pitches there ..
Old 11/28/2006, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

What do you mean by that?
Old 11/28/2006, 10:35 AM
Every Wall is a Door!

They are now located just south of Gibsonton Dr on Us 41 on the right hand side. They are still working to finish start up and building there inventory. From my visits they do have some decent rock but had a small aptasia problem. Not sure if the have taking care of that as of yet. but they did have 6 large tanks stuffed with rock and only half of the rock system seemed to be affected
I did purchase some rock from them with no problems!
The owner and his wife seem like pretty good people and I think when they are up 100% that Live Oceanic Could dwarf other LFS
Inventory But that remains to be seen. This to is JMHO
OH They say they Qt there live stock for 2 weeks after arrival.
Old 11/28/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

I live a couple of miles from there. Their prices are decent but high on a few things. They have alot of potential for a nice store. The LR isn't the best i've seen but at 2.99 a lb, it's a real bargain. You just have to cherry pick the right pieces and try to find out when their lr shipment comes in.

They did tell me they quarantine the fish for 2 weeks also.

I have their business card infront of me-
Life Oceanic, Inc
10909 US Hwy 41 s
Gibsonton, FL 33534
813-649-1000

To get there- Just take the gibsonton/riverview exit off 75 and go west. Go down gibsonton then a left at the light on 41.
Old 11/28/2006, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, part owners of Life Oceanic have opened a new store in Bradenton called Marine Dreams. They also have LR for $3.49lb I think.
Old 11/28/2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

I bought my live rock from their Apollo Beach store – no problems, greta prices on name brand sea salt, generic activated carbon, etc.

What are their new hours?
Old 11/28/2006, 05:41 PM
Moved On

We just tried it out today. Good Stuff.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11/29/2006, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

if its still the same owner from about 4 months ago - he is dedicated to making money - very dedicated. Would he steal from his mom - i dunno - but dont get dazed by some grand scheme
Old 12/05/2006, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

i recently setup my 20gal and bought my lr and livestock from them.. they seem to be well knowledgable and helpful.

I would recommend them.

i would say the prices are 50/50.
Old 12/05/2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger240
if its still the same owner from about 4 months ago - he is dedicated to making money - very dedicated.
Yea, that is kind of the purpose of a business. I am not sure what you may be implying but since you didnt state any reason, I am guessing there is not one
Old 12/06/2006, 12:13 AM
Every Wall is a Door!

dido,cc,or what not, Hell I agree with Lisa and mike
Old 12/06/2006, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

FWIW - and I hope I don't offend anyone...

When I was building out my tank, I went to Life Oceanic (back in April/May). I encountered some VERY helpful people that walked me through a lot of different options. I ended up buying a ton of stuff from them - including the tank, fuge, skimmer, sand, rock... I also had one of the guys deliver it, come out and help me set it up. I paid for 5 hrs setup time even though the guy was out there for about 9 hours. They knew I was a big value internet shopper - and didn't BS me with any sales tactics (too much). The prices they gave me were comparable to what I would've paid at Marine Depot and similar sites. Some things they couldn't match, such as lighting, so I bought those on my own.

The only problem I had was that the main owners (married couple) were partnered up with another married couple. There was some kind of feud going on between the two couples and they aired their dirty laundry to me more than I thought was professional. I also always had to hear from the main guy how well his business was doing and how much money he was pulling in - which of course I wasn't really interested. Some of this may be why the other reefcentral member commented about the large desire to make money.

I think the one couple split off and opened up another shop - at least that's what they told me they were going to do.

All that said - all 4 of these people were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, and from what I can tell, honest with me. I wouldn't shy away from this store at all. I haven't been to the new location, but the old one had a lot of good looking livestock and they QT'd it (for 2 weeks if I remember correctly). The inside of the shop didn't have much as far as dry goods, but they can get anything you want - and at better prices than some other LFS's I've seen.
Old 12/06/2006, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

i never was implying that they were not helpful or knowedgable. im not disputing that fact. there is his main business and then another side of trying to get people to invest, invest in something that i feel he is scamming people on. hence my comment:

- but dont get dazed by some grand scheme -

and to this:

"Yea, that is kind of the purpose of a business"

i agree. getting people to plunk down large sums of money for something to which he holds all the keys to is another story altogether. this is all i am warning about.

please dont be confused. he is a professional sales person. he is very good at what he does. i never stated dont buy from him. hes got good prices and is again knowedgable, to which he shares no less. just dont get "spun up" as its called

and to this

"I think the one couple split off and opened up another shop - at least that's what they told me they were going to do."

the other couple scammed off the first couple. the other couple started marine dreams in brandenton or brandon, forget which.

please, do what you wish. i am not slamming his store. just dont be pulling out in excess of 1g for anything other than a complete setup from them.

and to this

"The only problem I had was that the main owners (married couple) were partnered up with another married couple. There was some kind of feud going on between the two couples and they aired their dirty laundry to me more than I thought was professional. I also always had to hear from the main guy how well his business was doing and how much money he was pulling in - which of course I wasn't really interested"

i could not agree more, and could not have said it any better especially this:

"I also always had to hear from the main guy how well his business was doing and how much money he was pulling in - which of course I wasn't really interested"

however i was not interested in any way shape or form in regards to money. i think this is done to "spin up" people about potential side offers. that is all. nothing more nothing less. please do not read anything more into this.

Last edited by Tigger240; 12/06/2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12/06/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Just so you all know, this last post is really in accurate. They other couple did not scam from the original, in fact the story is the other way arround. The other couple are the ones who started the QT process. I guess you could say the first couple were taught how to keep thier inventory from dieing from the second couple, so does it really matter who learned what from who? If you can retain it in your own head, it is yours....

The other couple left and parted ways and started a better store because they had very unethical partners. Life oceanic is being sued because of the way they run thier business. I would doubt very highly it will still be arround in a year.

The warnings about the sales people is very valid. The other couple who started the other store were the ones who would be honest with you. If you appreciate that kind of genuine service, you should try the other store out and form your own opinion. It is even bigger, has better prices, and has way more stuff than Life Oceanic!
Old 12/06/2006, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Maybe I missed it but what is the other (better) stores name?

TenPercenter
Old 12/06/2006, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

It is Marine Dreams. A very nice and up and comming shop in Bradenton.

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Just so there is no confusion - i am explictly talking about Joe and only Joe. Joe informed me that someone scammed him out of 1000 dollars. Jamey Mac - if you are joe, i am sorry, but i cannot retract my comments about your ways.

However if you are not (its jamey, right? :P) , then i am sorry as i only got the story from Joe, and, taking in accout with my story, this would be par for the course in his behavior (lieing, cheating, ect.)

Just so I am clear - i only know Joe's side of the story about his partner problems, and may (probably) have been lied too. So in fact, The owner of marine dreams may and (probably) did nothing wrong. Sorry if there was damage done on my part. This was the exact thing i am trying to warn people about.

A careful read is necessary from my post, i did not imply that setups cost 1g. I only implyed dont break out your wallet for an "investment" that was in the neighborhood of 5g-15g. Hence if you paid over 1g at that store - hopefully it was for a setup and not a "investment" to which he held all the keys - like i said before.

Last edited by Tigger240; 12/06/2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Honestly i was trying not to get personal with this post, and leave it in the third person. (hence the open ended posts) i didnt want to air dirty laundry if there was any, and i was only typing what i experienced, and upon further review of my comments i must add the following:

even though we said (my wife and i) he tried to scam us, it never occured to us that he could have been lieing about his partners trying to scam him.

To sum it all up - i cant really say it better than this :

"The other couple left and parted ways and started a better store because they had very unethical partners. Life oceanic is being sued because of the way they run thier business."

however my above post was probably wrong (to which i was not part of, and should be left between the two married people - as its their business not a forums) in really one area, as it was (100%) about my personal experience with Joe. Please dont assume that it is otherwise in accurate. I only stated information that Joe told me so hence if my information is incorrect about his partners - well it came from Joe directly.
Old 12/06/2006, 10:58 PM
Every Wall is a Door!

Well after reading and tagging along I and others I'm sure!
Will probably just avoid both no matter who is in the right!
This is not the place for he said she said Cra p!
And all that you have accomplished is to save a little on your phone bills and lose a lot For both In business.

Yours Truly Public consumer also known as 2SWIFT
Old 12/07/2006, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

While I do think that this thread has gotten way off subject, I don't think that anyone should boycott either store based solely on this. I have had a similar experience with Joe, and I feel like Tigger is just trying to warn people and let them know that they should be cautious. Obviously there were some issues between owners at Life Oceanic, but that is personal and between them. I have since been to Marine Dreams and was very pleased with the store and will gladly give them my business. If you have had a good experience with Marine Dreams or Life Oceanic then I would say continue to shop there and go from your own experiences. Just always be cautious when someone is trying to convince you to invest 8 to 10 thousand dollars, no matter if it is aquaria related or not.