Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2006, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

ro/di in a small apt?

this might be a stupid question, but how do most of you that live in small apartments (only a kitchen sink and bathroom sink) deal with your ro/di unit?

do you keep it hooked up all the time? or do you only plumb it in when you need it?
Old 11/20/2006, 11:54 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

You can buy an adapter that hooks up to your faucet so you can use it only when needed.
Old 11/20/2006, 12:02 PM
Team RC Member

YOu may have to change the tap at the end of your kitchen sink faucet. This is easy done. Go to a plumbing supply house if you need help with it.

Easier to use the coldwater tap of a washingmachine if you have one in the apt. Use a Y connector to differentiate functions.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/20/2006, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

It's also easy to install one below your sink. Any plumber that charges more than $40 to do it is making pretty good money. If you have a handy friend that knows what he's doing, he'll do it for the better part of a sixpack during half time. (sorry that that came out as sexist as it did... but I'll stand by it).

Edit: While he's doing it... see if he can plumb the "waste" water into the back of your toilet. You can save a load of water by turning off the plumbing to your toliet and using bath water or water from your RO/DI to flush with.
Old 11/20/2006, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your quick replies...

Dubbin: with that adapter would i then have the less than attractive ro/di unit sitting there next to my sink?

Shagsbeard: would i have to use a Y divider under the sink, and then just switch to the RO/Di side when i needed tank water and switch to the other side when i need regular water for dishes etc?

thanks again
Old 11/20/2006, 12:27 PM
Mouth Pipetting

I live in an apartment. I tapped the line underneath the sink in our "half bathroom" and I installed a shut-off ball valve right there at the plumbing. I also installed shut-off ball valves on every line going into and out of the RO/DI unit, and when I'm not using it I close off all the valves and store the RO/DI unit out of sight. My fiancee wouldn't let me leave it in plain sight, and the area underneath the kitchen sink was already packed with kitchen cleaning stuff. . . plus, she wasn't going to let me make water in the kitchen on a weekly basis.

At first I tried the hose adaptor and the faucet adaptors before I ended up tapping the plumbing. I don't recommend either of the adaptors.
Old 11/20/2006, 01:07 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by Shagsbeard
It's also easy to install one below your sink. Any plumber that charges more than $40 to do it is making pretty good money. If you have a handy friend that knows what he's doing, he'll do it for the better part of a sixpack during half time. (sorry that that came out as sexist as it did... but I'll stand by it).

Edit: While he's doing it... see if he can plumb the "waste" water into the back of your toilet. You can save a load of water by turning off the plumbing to your toliet and using bath water or water from your RO/DI to flush with.
He lives in an apartment so that would not be a good idea. Plumbing to the back of the toilet is not going to save much water. Once the tank fills up then its just going to go down the drain. Plus its only going to fill it while the RO unit is working.
Old 11/20/2006, 01:08 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by notyet
thanks for your quick replies...

Dubbin: with that adapter would i then have the less than attractive ro/di unit sitting there next to my sink?
No, you can still sit the RO/DI unit under the sink and only pull the line out when you need it.
Old 11/20/2006, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I live in a small one bedroom apt and I just bought a faucet adapter from the place I got the RO/DI unit and just hook it up to the bathroom sink when I want to use it. I just end up leaving it in the bathroom under a shelf to the side when I'm not filling things up.

I didn't want to go cutting pipes or messing with all that since I'm not looking to loosing my security deposit or paying for damages