Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

t5 for 65 gallon?

Well I officially have given up on the 2 x 250 watt hqi's hanging over my 65 gallon (36X18X24). It gets a little on the hot side and its fall. Im thinking of heading down the t5 root and wanna know what fixture would be best suited for my application. I plan on keeping a large amount of lps, softies, zooanthids, and maybe a few sps. Do i need 6 bulbs or 8? Also If someone could give me and Idea of bulb temperatures an arrangement that would be great!
Old 11/16/2006, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

You could get away with a 4x39 T5 fixture for softies or 6 if you wanted the extra punch. Just remember to get GOOD reflectors. As for bulbs and what order . . . . it's mostly a prefrence thing. Check out the T5 thread . . Grim is the T5 man is these parts!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=939236
Old 11/16/2006, 02:59 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Reflectors and proper cooling are key. Would you prefer a fixture, or to do your own retrofit in a canopy?
Old 11/16/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

I would prefer a fixture.
Old 11/16/2006, 11:45 AM
El Jefe de WRS

ATI is coming to the US, it might be more $$$, but they have double the output of the Teks. A 6x39watt fixture from them would be rockin.
Old 11/16/2006, 12:15 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
ATI is coming to the US, it might be more $$$, but they have double the output of the Teks. A 6x39watt fixture from them would be rockin.
Double? Are they overdriven?

Hahn, I'm gonna have to do some talking to you..may be looking at T5s...landlord is whining about the electricity. (Its included in the lease...and I told him I had a fishtank...but its pretty bad right now)
Old 11/16/2006, 01:08 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, Grim's last comparison with the same bulbs placed the Tek at 152, and the ATI at 302. Almost double... but it makes sense... the ATI has active cooling that not only cools the ballast(s) but also draws its air from over the bulbs themselves. Thats how the ATI can have an acrylic guard and not have a loss in output (if anything, with the way the acrylic directs the flow, it aids in cooling). The reflectors are supposed to be better as well... something about silver coating according to ATI. So hey, 25% here, 60% there... it adds up. They are not overdriven though.

Im making my own fixture out of 1/8" brushed aluminum, and hope to use retrofit ATI reflectors when and if they become available.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:12 PM
Flowalicious

I really dont think the reflectors are going to make much difference (the SLRs and SLSs are petty decent)... the active cooling on the other hand....thats a big deal.

Any idea what the numbers are for an ATI retro thats actively cooled?
Old 11/16/2006, 01:23 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Well... ATI is claiming a 60% boost in reflectivity due to the silver coating... Active cooling should only give you about 20-25% more output over a Tek.

I believe its the OSRAM Sylvania ballasts. On sylvania's page they show a variety of T5 ballasts with all sorts of options and features. Something tells me that the soft start, electronic controlled, thermal sensing, etc... ballast that ATI uses might be a bit nicer than the ones SLS is using.

As for an ATI retrofit, nah... whats the point, you know? If you are retrofitting, you can use whatever you want really. Just as long as you use good ballasts and bulbs and are sure to use fans properly. I dont see a need otherwise for buying an ATI if you are going to go retrofit.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:54 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Well... ATI is claiming a 60% boost in reflectivity due to the silver coating... Active cooling should only give you about 20-25% more output over a Tek.
60% more reflective than 95% reflective specular alluminum?

I'd bet its something like "60% less light lost" IE 98% vs 95%. Either that, or theres some changing in the angles, so its a combination of slightly better reflectivity and better reflector design.

I probably can't wait for the ATIs, but the Icecaps are probably where I'm going.

Is there any writeup on ballasts somewhere? I can't find anything that isnt just a whole bunch of crap..too many people talking who dont know what theyre talking about.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

i have a 4x39w Icecap reflectors, icecap 660 ballast on my 65 and it is plenty...SPS growing on the bottom pretty well.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:00 PM
Flowalicious

AD, sorry to threadjack, but I'm basically in the same situation as you, so I figured discussion of my situation might help you.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:03 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Im not sure on the ballasts. I have been hunting around and looking on Sylvania's web page... comparing facts, etc. They alone have many different lines of T5 ballasts, so who knows.

I was going to start doing some calling around and see whats what. I have a couple PM's with suggestions though already. It seems that there is something to the OSRAM/sylvania ballasts though.
Old 11/16/2006, 02:27 PM
Flowalicious

Okay, keep me informed, I'm looking to buy, and would like to make the right decision, and want to figure out if its worht spending $45 a ballast, or buying the $15 ones.
Old 11/16/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Just thought I'd add my 2 non-technical cents: I have a 65 with a 6 bulb Tek. I also have 1/8" tempered glass shield to protect the reflectors and endcaps. I do have a 4' floor fan blowing at an angle across the bottom of the fixture, but obviously this does not actually contact the bulbs. It does keep the fixture cooler to the touch than when I used an acrylic shield (warped badly) with no fan. I've had this fixture since Feb of this year and I have a BTA on the bottom (that recently split), a Singularia on the bottom (growing nicely), Ricordea polyps, Frog spawn, Capenella (sp?), and Zoos, all at the bottom 1/4th of the tank and they all seem to be doing great and spreading, so I think they are getting plenty of light and PAR. I plan on getting some SPS for my rock work near the top, closer to the lights, and a clam. I know heat caused by the shield is probably reducing my light quality, but I think it is still putting out plenty of light. This is just an observation made by a lay person with no technical analysis. For what its worth..(Also, see my gallery for some pics)